What's the most important event or person that nobody's made a movie about?

An updated version of The Great Dictator, starring William Sadler as Putin, would be an instant watch by me for certain.

The Battle for Castle Itter

Famous battle in WW2 because US and German troops fought on the same side.

Read all about it HERE.

Realy, if you didnt know you would think it WAS a made up movie.

“The Lives of Others” wasn’t specifically about the fall of The Wall, but that was an important plot point in the movie (very good movie, BTW).

King Josiah of Judah. His story (including not just the text of the Bible, but the Midrashic elucidations as well) is heroic (from a religious perspective) and tragic. And important? If you’re a believer you already think he’s important, and if you’re not, then your version of history considers him to be the man most likely responsible for the existence of the Old Testament as we have it today.

Not nearly a most important, but there still needs to be a movie made about about Brian Boru.

I would like to see something like this too. Pilate gets a fair amount of screen time and characterization in Jesus Christ Superstar, but a movie with him as the central figure would be awesome. (Yeah, I doubt that the real Pilate was nearly as ambivalent about executing Jesus as the character in JCS, but I still love the character).

::applause::

That is a really good movie.

How about Leif Erickson? Accepted in most circles as among the first Europeans to set foot on North America.

I see there was a movie made about him in 1928, so maybe an update with current information is in order.

Regarding Hernan Cortes and the Aztecs, altho fiction, I would love to see a movie series made from Gary Jennings’ Aztec books.

Most movie (or quality cable TV) producers don’t base projects on Historical Personages (or Great Events). Unless there is a well-connected auteur with a vision in charge, a Story is generally required.

David McCullough just published a book on The Wright Brothers. It’s gotten some good reviews & might whip up interest.

His book on John Adams inspired the HBO series…

We have tons of movies either featuring Hitler either directly or indirectly, not a single film about Stalin and his rise to power. Ditto Mao and the cultural revolution etc.

It could be well done, follow Stalin from his early revolutionary life to his death. A sort of historical Breaking Bad if you will.

Hollywood would have him rescuing an enigma machine.

There’s never been a movie made about the patron saint of this sub-forum:** Imhotep.**

The smartest guy from about four millennia and a half ago, he was the power behind Pharaoh Djoser, priest of Ra, philosopher, poet, wrote a medical treaty that earned him the title of “Father of medicine”, built the Pyramid of Djoser, was deified after his death and his tomb has never been found.

The World’s Most Dangerous Man! The Death that Walks. The Human Extinction Event.

Thomas Midgley, Jr.

It would probably be more interesting than the real story. As far as the Vikings knew he had just found some island off the coast of Greenland, and the colonists that were sent there kind of soured on the whole thing after they had to eat a beached whale carcass to survive through winter.

No movie has ever been made about the Servant Girl Annihilator.

A serial killer who preyed on Austin, TX during 1884 and 1885 (three years before the Jack the Ripper murders in London). The killer also had 8 victims, 3 more than JTR. Yet very little press was written about the murders. William Sydney Porter (aka O’Henry) lived in Austin during the time of the murders, coined the moniker, the Servant Girl Annihilator.

Some people speculate that the Servant Girl Annihilator and Jack the Ripper are one and the same.

Nitpick: you’ve left out a few qualifiers. Cochran was the first woman to fly a (prop-driven) bomber and, later, a jet across the Atlantic.

Amelia Earhardt was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic: as a passenger in 1928, and as a solo pilot in 1932.

My first response to the OP’s question was the flight of Apollo 11, but checking on IMDb I found that there was a 1996 made-for-TV movie about it. Even so, a big-budget feature would be nice.

Of course, there was a lot more drama on Apollo 13, and Tom Hanks did a damn fine job dramatizing the whole Apollo program in the miniseries, From the Earth to the Moon, in 1998. They may explain why an Apollo 11 feature hasn’t been done.

Good Bye, Lenin! (German title: Good Bye, Lenin!) relates to the wall. A diehard communist falls into a coma immediately before the fall, and her son goes to lengths to hide the failure of communism from her when she wakes.

I should think so, since before 1928 IIRC his voyage was unconfirmed.

Sort of a “Rule 34b”: I figured that that had to be a band name. Looks like it is!

I tend to think of a lot of award winning movies as having very little story. They seem to most often capture moments, with us seemingly dropped in at a random point, and an inconclusive ending.

Anyway, I agree, a decent story ought to be formulated around the incidents, rather than just a docudrama.

I would like to see a movie about the Battle of Lepanto. Saving western Europe from the Turks seems fairly important. Orlando Bloom as Don John of Austria.

The “Challenger” Disaster. Obviously, couldn’t be played like “Apollo 13,” but there must be SOME story to be told.

Ulysses S. Grant has been portrayed in many films, but I am unaware of a movie specifically ABOUT him.

In the context of American cinema this is really quite amazing. Grant was arguably the greatest general in the history of American arms, a leader of vision, innovation and brilliance, despite the fact that he didn’t like war and didn’t, prior to the Civil War, even like being in the army. He loved his wife and family and could barely function without them. He was sickened by the sight of blood and yet utterly unflappable in battle. He was terrified of public speaking and yet a man of limitless moral and physical courage. He believed with total conviction in the justness of the Civil War, but believed his country’s attack on Mexico in the Mexican War was a hideous act of bullying. He was preposterously skilled at many aspects of martial life and yet had no interest in the trappings of rank or military pomp (my favourite story about him; asked once about how he felt about a parade, he admitted he didn’t remember any marching songs. When a lady insisted that he MUST know some, he said “well, I know two. One of them is Yankee Doodle, and the other one isn’t.”) He was a masterful military leader and a failure at everything else he tried. His Presidency was a litany of good intentions and huge failures, save getting black people the vote. He was an absolutely fascinating character, one Keegan described as perhaps the most unheroic great generals who ever lived. You can make ten movies about him.