What's the Official Mod ruling on "Drumpf"?

Tweet.

Out of order. No more Oliver hijack.

Wait a minute? Isn’t “not following mod directions” warnable? Shouldn’t the posters in the OP be warned for that rather than reminded to not Drumpf the thread?

You’ve said you would not moderate the childishness of those other examples you gave, however.

It doesn’t seem to me that the childishness has any bearing on the problem. It is just that the extension alters quote boxes. Could we get a confirmation that this is correct? That people are free to still say “Drumpf” all they want?

It seems to me that whether the addon is childish is a different topic–and one that has been discussed in other threads. And it opens up a whole other can of worms, encouraging childish responses.

I didn’t think it was childish; I still don’t. I didn’t realize it changed quotes and posts however. I disabled it when that became apparent.

What’s to clarify? It’s been clearly stated that the rule being enforced is the one about not altering quotes in quote boxes.

NM.

The Drumpf plugin has given me the most amusement to effort ratio of anything I’ve done this week. I’m not going to uninstall it just on the off chance it might interact with some edge case on a message board.

As far as I’m aware, the Cloud -> Butt plugin doesn’t change the quoted text in submissions, right? Or at least, no posts that I’ve seen on this board have ever been hit by that. I naively assumed the Trump -> Drumpf plugin worked the same way.

Whether or not all the posts about how childish the extension is are relevant to the calculation. JC has mentioned it more often than he’s mentioned the quote thing.

I actually have an addon that I developed that would allow people to have their Drumpf fun but would not alter quote boxes. I’m hoping to ask JC to mention using an alternative extension in his sticky.

Is there anything particularly offensive or denigrating about the name “Drumpf”?

Does anyone here happen to know if this word actually means anything in the original German, and if so, what?

That add-on must make posts about Bridge games sound very silly. Or Biblical talk about Revelations.

You’re the guy who’s trying to raise the level of discourse, right?

It just sounds like the kind of name a presidential candidate would much less rather have than Trump.

Now that you know that you have an extension which breaks one of the rules of the SDMB, and you don’t disable it, why shouldn’t you be punished for a breach of the rules?

Just because a rule exists doesn’t mean it’s a good rule. And the solution of “you can’t use an extension because it violates a silly rule on this one website that no other website* has” is not a very good one.

*Well, none that I’ve seen in my 20 years online.

Yeah. It’s not that Drumpf is particularly offensive, it’s that a ‘trump’ (or trumping sombody) is a good thing, and it’s arguably giving the Donald a PR boost.

I’m still trying to figure out how someone would accidentally do a global replace of “the queen bee” with “Queen Elizabeth”. Screwing up a global replace, I understand. I’ve done that a few times. But those specific phrases?

Are you kidding me? You seriously don’t think the rule against changing another poster’s words, while using a Quote box thus making it look like your false quote is actually what the other poster originally wrote, is a good rule???

I don’t use other messageboards much, but if this is the only messageboard on the internet where you’re not allowed to falsify a quote in attribution to another poster, then this is the only messageboard on the internet with even a shred of integrity. (Of course, there are plenty of online communities with rules against altering or falsifying cites and quotes- your exaggeration is ridiculous.)

There’s no such word in my German dictionary. My WAG: perhaps it’s just a variant spelling of Trumpf which–rather disappointingly–means “trump.”

You’re free to use the extension, but if the extension changes text within a quote box, you’ll have to manually change it back. Do you disagree with the rule against changing text within a quote box? That way mischief lies.

Google translate says “Drumpf” means “Trump card”. Google capitalized the “T”.

Which according to Google “Drumpf” is a variation of “Trumpf”. When you try to translate “Drumpf” itself it says “Drumpf”.