What's up with the production values in the cooking show Nigella Bites?

Nigella Bites was on in the background with the sound turned down and I keep glancing over and see what I think must be a really long commercial. Finally I turn up the volume and find out it’s a half hour cooking show. How can this show possibly make a dime (and not lose money for that matter) with those insane production values. The directing is cinematic to say the least and the lighting and setting up of all those shots must be a monumental task.

british television is not a money making exercise.
that’s why we pay license fees.

I love that show.

Me too, but I can only see at at my mom’s house- 2 hours away :frowning:

yes its a great show.

I read the OP twice but still don’t get what your beef is… :confused:

OK, I think you’re saying how can it make any money without showing commercial breaks - this is probably because its a BBC production. Sorry I didn’t quite get your meaning at first.

Solution: less artsy, more fartsy.

Nigella Bites is made by Channel 4. It does have commercial breaks in the UK, and it doesn’t depend on the BBC license fee. The fact that it exists at all means it must be profitable, so maybe there’s a deficiency in the production values of the shows you’re used to watching?

I must confess that I love to watch just to drool over her ample bosom and wait in excitement until there’s another close-up of her putting something in her mouth.

Yes, I had to confess, though nobody asked.

Kyomara beat me too it!
I was going to say that it certainly doesn’t hurt the Nigella is pretty yummy herself.

Nigella looks especially good when you consider the competition. She’s a favourite of TV impressionists too, by the way. They usually do some kind of version of that food/seduction scene from Tom Jones, so she finishes with strawberries smeared all over, or chicken fat dribbling down her chin and cleavage.

Nigella is posh crumpet. The show could easily make money off me from just a series of shots of her sucking chocolate sauce off her finger while looking at the camera in a suggestive fashion, and talking about her villa in Tuscany. According to my missus, she also once said “If you don’t have time to do this in the evening, you could get your nanny to prepare it during the day.”

(And she’s got a big arse, just how I like 'em).

For those who haven’t seen her, here’s a picture of the lovely Nigella on the cover of the eponymous book.

Oh, to be that piece of smoked salmon.

for anyone who wants to know, some nigella info

daughter of 1980s conservative chancellor of the exchequer nigel lawson
(comedienne Jo brand says she should have been called “i wish it was a boy” lawson)

she was married to journalist john diamond, who died of laryngeal cancer in (i think) 2000.

she is currently “involved” with multi-millionaire advertising mogul charles saatchi.

she has two children from her marriage to diamong. they are called cosima and bruno.

See, that’s class that is. You can’t buy crappy names like that.

I love Nigella Bites! She cooks like I do, throw in a little bit of this and a little bit of that, no measurements, but everything tastes wonderful. (Of course, I don’t look anything like she does, but that’s another beef altogether.)

Who said I have a beef? It’s just that it must be incredibly expensive to produce. It’s a compliment. I’ve never seen a half hour show or any tv show ever with production values like Nigella Bites.