What's up with this new "Lord of the Rings" movie?

I re-read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings a few months ago after I bought The Easton Press’s leather-bound and gilt-edged editions. Yeah, the books are expensive, but you don’t have to pay for them all at once. And besides, it’s fun to read a good book when it’s printed in such a high-quality edition.

I’ve never seen Hanna-Barbera’s version of The Hobbit, but I did see Ralph Bakshi’s (?) The Lortd of the Rings. I thought it was good as far as it went. But it got to the middle of the story, then stopped and said, “Okay, there were more battles and adventures and then everything turned out okay.”

I read an article many years ago that said TLotR was going to be made into a live-action movie in the early 70s. They built a head for the statue of the great king the characters see on the river (remember, this is before CGI) and didn’t have enough money to make the film. According to the article, said head ended up in Zardoz as a ship that flew around collecting grain from the “executioners”.

But Alan Lee and John Howe, two of the foremost fantasy artists with years of experience illustrating Tolkien, are the lead concept designers. Talk about amazing artistic vision. They are also extremely familiar with Tolkien’s own artistic interpretations of Middle Earth, to which I am sure they will be faithful.

MR

Couple of things:

Goose: Actually, a Dungeons & Dragons movie has wrapped shooting and is in post-production. Should be out next summer. Cast includes Jeremy Irons, Tom Baker (yes, from Dr. Who), Thora Birch (the daughter in American Beauty), Richard O’Brien (“let’s do the Time Warp…”), and Marlon Wayans.

Sigmundex and Chronos: Your questions regarding Arwen’s role have been the source of much debate and controversy on the dedicated LotR sites for a year now, and they’re no closer to being answered to anyone’s satisfaction. Check out The One Ring for links.

Sigmundex and TroubleAgain: You’re both slow. I re-read everything a year and a half ago when I first got wind of the project. :slight_smile:

Re the poems: Nobody knows for sure, because security is very tight on the set, but best guesses suggest that Jackson will be including as much of the background material as he can without taking away from the plot, which should, rightly, be his core concern. However, consider these two facts: First, the downloadable trailer is built around the “one ring to bind them all” verse; and second, Jackson recruited several Tolkien language experts as consultants, to make sure he’s getting the Elvish etc. right.

And the last question:

pugluvr: Gollum will be CGI. And for those of you whose hair just stood on end with memories of Jar-Jar, be reassured; the few people who have gotten an early look at the designs say it’s spot-on. If you think about it, how else could you realistically create a being whose life energy has been nearly sucked dry by the Ring? (I’m not sure who’s doing his voice, though.)

Plus a little background:

Jackson has been trying to get this project off the ground for a couple of years now. He originally had it set up at Miramax, but they didn’t want to write a big check so he was forced to revise the story from three parts down to two, breaking at Helm’s Deep. (Shades of the Bakshi version.) Then Miramax put the project into turnaround, and Jackson shopped it around Hollywood. New Line Cinema looked at some of Jackson’s demo materials (including a computer-generated battle scene with a hundred thousand combatants) and said, hey, whoa, we’ll do this! Not only that, but they increased the bankroll so Jackson could expand back to three films.

So think about it this way: Jackson already did the hard work, slicing away every extraneous element of the plot to compress it into two films. He then got a whole extra movie, so he’s been able to start putting stuff back in, which as far as I know is a fairly unique development in this sort of thing. Tom Bombadil is still a casualty, but from what I’ve heard they’re including such details as distinguishing regular orcs from the Uruk-Hai, and so on.

Oh, and here’s the cast, so far as it’s been confirmed:

Ian McKellen - Gandalf
Sean Bean - Boromir
Viggo Mortensen - Aragorn
Liv Tyler - Arwen
Ian Holm - Bilbo Baggins
Christopher Lee - Saruman (great casting, this)
Elijah Wood - Frodo Baggins
Sean Astin - Sam Gamgee
Billy Boyd - Pippin
Cate Blanchett - Galadriel
Orlando Bloom - Legolas
Brad Dourif - Grima Wormtongue (yes, the voice of Chucky)
Dominic Monaghan - Merry
John Rhys-Davies - Gimli (Sallah from the Indiana Jones flicks)
Miranda Otto - Eowyn
Hugo Weaving - Elrond (the main bad guy from Matrix)
Bernard Hill - Theoden

As I said, I don’t think there’s anything to get unduly worried about. Yes, it’s still possible it could get screwed up, but it just keeps looking better and better. Not only that, but I asked my Magic 8-Ball if the movie would rock, and it responded, “All signs point to yes.” Indeed.

Thanks for reassuring me about Eowyn, Cervaise (that she’s at least in the movie)… That was my biggest worry; when I was last at the site, she wasn’t listed (although why a movie would deliberately remove a love triangle is beyond me). I am a bit disappointed about old Tom Without-a-Father, but as I said, I can live with that.

Gollum is CGI? That could work nicely. As for a voice, Brother Theodore, the actor who did the voice on the animated Rankin-Bass versions, gave my kid the creeps. IMDB says he’s 94 years old now, so he may have retired.