What's up with this phenomenon? (Won't watch TV ... but will watch TV shows on DVD.)

I know a guy like this, and I swear he just does it so he can continue claiming he ‘hates television’ and will only watch films (…except for Lost. And The Sopranos. And 24. And Heroes. And Smallville. And Prison Break. Etc., etc.) He also secretly watches schlock blockbusters on DVD, if that means anything.
I do understand not wanting to watch commercials, be tied to a schedule and all that. But of course, none of these great shows would even be out on DVD if they didn’t have dedicated audiences in the first place.

Cat Fight:

True enough, and perhas a bit ironic, but I’m happy enough to take advantage of the medium choice that’s become available because of it.

Yep, this is it for me, too. People who watch TV regularly must be immune to how bad commercial interruptions are, because no one seems to comprehend the depths of my loathing. Also, I’ve never had cable/satellite, because when I was a freshman in college, my roommate and I decided not to pay for cable in our room. That was 15 years ago. I just lost interest in TV after that. When TV shows on DVD became a big thing, I slowly started to enjoy some great shows.

Zeldar’s #1 describes me.

Seems like I’m always behind the times. Someone will rave to me about their favorite show and I’ll think, “That sounds really good!” But I feel that if I missed the first season, or whatever, then I won’t get the full effect. That’s why you could name the top 10 shows on TV and I probably haven’t bothered to watch a single episode. I’ll just wait until they come out on DVD.

Most of what’s on TV is garbage. Why would I pay someone to pipe crap into my home? Waiting until shows come out on DVD means I’m a year behind the rest of the US when it comes to what’s happening on Battlestar Galactica, but the benefits (no commercials, freedom to watch on my schedule) far outweigh that.

This is a great philosophy. It’s very liberating not to feel tied to the TV, and it’s how I hope to raise my kids, too.

Oh, good, I’m not the only one. I went without a TV from 1976 to 1991, and just got out of the habit of watching. I don’t hate TV, it just never occurs to me to want to watch it. I do have some DVD box sets of TV programs, like others have mentioned, most of which are no longer shown on TV - Red Dwarf, The Young Ones, SCTV, The Monkees, Freaks & Geeks and a few others. Once in a blue moon, I’ll get them out and watch them. I like the extras as well.

The computer takes up almost all of my viewing time. And I’ve vowed never to be like some people I’ve known, including my FIL, who can’t go anywhere because some crap is on TV all evening, every day of the year. Sometimes two things are on at once, and he has to videotape the other show. He has a stack of videotapes that he won’t live long enough to see, of shows he missed while he was watching other shows. Not me, boy, no way.

If not for the Food Network or HGTV, which we watch during dinner, I’d never see anything on TV at all.

Another reason, at least for me, are the stupid pop ups that constantly appear during television broadcasts. Also, during any weather event, there is contant weather information disrupting the program.

Did any of you know somebody that had three or four VCR’s? I knew somebody like that. They had enough VCR’s to record every channel at the same time, so they didn’t miss something. Sheesh.

I hate those, too! It was disturbing when they started with the semitransparent station or network logo in the bottom right. Now, they’re solid and full color and animated, and sometimes they come from both sides. They take up a lot of real estate on the screen to purposely distract you from what you’re trying to watch, to entice you to watch something else. The guy who came up with that concept needs to be smacked.

I love watching TV shows on DVD, for pretty much just about every reason that’s already been mentioned. I don’t think TV is evil, but it just doesn’t work for me for a variety of reasons, while DVD is perfect for me.

If it helps the OP at all, I don’t think I’m snobby about it or anything (ooooh, TV is soooooo hoi polloi, hey pass me that Buffy DVD). Watching on DVD is simply a better fit for me.

More importantly, is Star Blazers worth getting on DVD? I was obsessed with that show when I was a kid, but someone recently suggested that I pass on getting it on DVD because it’s better to have fond memories of it as the best show ever, as opposed to watching it again as an adult and being able to see its flaws.

The station logo is in a corner.
The second logo is in another corner.
Animated gibberish scrolls across the bottom of the screen randomly during the show, or even the middle portion.
The thunderstorm warnings run across the top or bottom from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm, most nights in the summer. At least they finally put a background on the warning text, so it blocked the logos and random gibberish. I was impossible to read what the warning was before they put up the background to the text.
Wide screens and 12 inch movies is what television is today.

one more reason which is extremely important to me and which I forgot is subtitles. I love subtitles. We play them on every movie. You find some of the funniest things in whispered/soft conversations when you put on the subtitles.

My favorite examples is Marcus in Indiana Jones the third when he is wandering around in the Arabic bazaar. Indy has just gotten done saying how he can hide in any country, and here he is, sticking out like a sore thumb. It’s very hard to understand one of the lines he says, and with subtitles I found someone is offering him water and he replies, “No, no, fish have sex in it.”

A couple of other dopers have chimed in with reasons similar to my own; I don’t want to be a slave to a television set. My mother is addicted to hers and it bugs the hell out of me because she doesn’t have hobbies outside of watching it. When I was a freshman in college, I found myself watching more “Saved by the Bell” reruns than I was comfortable with, so I simple stopped watching TV. I will, however, watch a few select shows on DVD because then I’m in control. In the end, it really just gives me more time to waste on the 'net, so I guess it isn’t really accomplishing too much, but I feel like I’m at least slightly more intellectually stimulated here than sitting in front of the boob tube.

I’m netflixing it, disc by disc. I’m only on disc 2 so far, and the feelings are … mixed. I do think the first few episodes hold up pretty well. Even though the animation is extremely crude by modern anime standards, the storyline is pretty unflinching, for the most part (I was thinking it would make a great live-action series … then I realized it would be exactly the same as the new Battlestar Galactica). Some things move a bit slowly (I mean, it’s supposed to take place over a whole year, so I guess it should), and the kid-friendly edits are noticeable to me as an adult (the great lengths to which they go to explain that the Gamilons bailed out of their ships, abandon their bases, etc., so no one really gets killed). But I’m encouraged.

The biggest positive: That damn theme song. It’s quite stirring!

The biggest negative: Bad DVD production. The special features are so far pretty much nil, and the first disc had some freaky glitch in it that caused it to loop the last episodes endlessly.

At this point, I’m still recommending Netflix over purchasing.

I don’t watch much in the way of television these days, mostly because we chose not to get cable in favor of being able to afford internet access. To be honest, there are only a few channels that I miss (Travel Channel, TLC, Food Network, History Channel), but I can get a fix of the Food Network or Travel Channel when I go to the gym; half an hour of watching someone cook or go to a neat place and I’m sated for a week or two. (I should work out more often than that.)
During my freshman and sophomore years of college, I didn’t watch a whole ton of television. I did watch a bit more when I was a junior and cable was included in the rent costs, but I didn’t really get hooked until I moved back home and there wasn’t a ton to do when I got home from work. I sorta turned into an internet-television zombie for a while instead of getting a good workout or reading more (I’ve been reading up a storm lately) or working on a hobby, and there wasn’t even that much that was entertaining on television. These days, I’m glad we get a handful of stations on the bunny ears, but there are only about three or four shows that we watch regularly in the evenings if we remember. Eventually we might get a Netflix account; I need a foreign/independent film and documentary fix.

Sounds good to me, I added the first series to my Netflix. And now I’ve been sitting in my office and singing the song for the past 1/2 hour.

This pisses me off to no end. Just imagine how big and obnoxious those logos and animated commercial banners are on a 55 inch wide screen. The station logo on my screen right now is 36 square inches in size. The obnoxious commercial banner would block out 270 square inches by my calculations.

I watch mostly older sitcoms from the 80’s and 90’s, and to fit thise shows into today’s timeslots they have to cut out several extra minutes of material to make room for the extra commercials. They don’t even try to cover it up, either. They’ll cut from near dead silence into the the dying end of a laugh track and you just wonder what you just missed.

Also, “profane” words like ass and god damn aren’t bleeped out on the DVDs.

Everybody: Golden Girls marathon at my place. Friday night. Be there. :slight_smile:

I think cable is way expensive so I don’t buy it. Yeah, I’m a year behind on Battlestar Galactica, but I’ll see it. Dead Like Me was great too, I thought.

Another factor for DVD TV shows - think about Freaks and Geeks, Wonderfalls and Firefly. None of these shows aired all their episodes. DVD is the only way to see the whole thing.

DVD rentals are more reliable than programming your VCR to tape your favorite shows. Also, I had no idea that some of my favorite TV shows existed before I found them on DVD, like Arrested Development. Thrillers with a continuous plot like 24 are a little unnerving to watch once a week, so I’ll only watch them on DVD.

I never watch TV because I really don’t like wasting my time watching commercials. It’s like lounging in a comfortable jacuzzi, but every 11 minutes being violently jerked out into the cold, and having to wait 3 minutes to go back in. Fuck that. I don’t mind it as bad if my wife recorded something and we’re watching it on tape so I can fast forward it, but the whole recording and playback process is a serious pain in the ass.

A lot of the shows I like simply aren’t going to be on TV here. Family Guy, Drawn Together and Blackadder are too culture-specific to ever get broadcast in Japan, so the only way to ever see them legally is to buy DVDs from Amazon (and spend a few bucks in a back alley to have that pesky little region encoding on my player properly dealt with).

Other shows, like Prison Break or House, aren’t available here unless I have cable or satellite TV. And since I made the mistake of purchasing a Sony VCR that refuses to play well with all my non-Sony equipment, programming it to tape something not on bog-standard broadcast TV is a no-go.