What's with the "Hi Opal!" stuff/

Nah, while it’s searching, WSLer could vacuum my place!:smiley:

This board is already unbearably slow. We have been told that use of the search function slows the board speed significantly. I would think that searches should be discouraged as much as possible, rather than encouraged. My .02.

And on the other hand, having threads like this crop up periodically also contributes to server load.

wring, you are so right. I’m embarrassed now.

I wouldn’t go as far as that. Just because the search function slows down the board doesn’t mean we want people to abandon it altogethere. Instead try and use it judiciously, and to good purpose. It is boring to see the same question over and over in GQ.
e.g. If you are looking for a thread of yours in which you discussed X, instead of just choosing “search all fora” for X, try and remember - what forum was the thread in? Maybe I should search just that forum? How old was the thread? Choose an appropriate date range and expand it later if necessary.
If you are searching for a new subject, try and think which forum would be most likely to have that subject?

I dunno – I’m approaching 5,000 post and I still find it humorous when people attempt to find witty ways to include Opal as the third item in a list. Examples:

CJHoworth in the “What do you say to a naked lady?” thread, on use of hot tubs:

[ul][li]“I’m overdressed,” said not only to a naked lady, but her equally naked husband, on not one, but two occaisions. {snippage}[/li][li]“You look nice,” said to me by another dear friend of the couple who own the hot tub at their place. {more snipping}[/li][li]Hi Opal. What are you doing in this hot tub? [/li][/ul]

Octavia Smythe-Bunion in the “11 Reasons I’m Not Cool” thread:

1. My music collection features both Beethoven AND David Allan Coe.

2. Hi Opal!

3. I put the obligatory “Hi Opal” in #2 and not #3.

{snip}

1. I actually posted to this thread.

The idea of playing with the tired old joke furnishes fertile soil for the wittiness of the members here.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Polycarp *
**CJHoworth in the “What do you say to a naked lady?” thread, on use of hot tubs:

[ul][li]“I’m overdressed,” said not only to a naked lady, but her equally naked husband, on not one, but two occaisions. {snippage}[/li][li]“You look nice,” said to me by another dear friend of the couple who own the hot tub at their place. {more snipping}[/li][li]Hi Opal. What are you doing in this hot tub? [/li][/ul]

At the time, that one made me spew coffee all over my computer screen. (Well, figuratively.) Reading it again made me chuckle.

Interesting note regarding “Hi, Opal!”: in the MST3K short “The Home Economics Story”, as one of the girls descends the stairs, one of the MST3K guys says, “Oh, hi, Opal!” :smiley:

• s.e.

I have to add…

When I’m writing a numbered step-by-step list in my manuals, I’m always tempted to write “Hi, Opal!” when I get to step 3. :rolleyes:

• s.e.

Of course, Poly, playing with it like that is a long, long way from merely typing bland “Hi Opals” every time you see the number “3”.

That, I maintain, is like having someone tell you the same joke day after day after day after day after…

(Like? Hell - it is haveing someone tell you the same joke).

It makes me grind my teeth and roll my eyes so hard they’ll be arriving in Soeul any time now.

pan

Astroboy and I will keep a lookout for 'em.

Well, I’m glad y’all straightened me out on the appropriate use of “Hi Opal.” I just always thought it was used anywhere in a list. D’oh!

And I’m not even a newbie.