What's with the "Hi Opal!" stuff/

Being a relative newbee to the boards, I have noticed this phrase in a number of threads and am curious about the story behind it. Unless of course I have to learn the secret handshake and get branded before I hear it.

Thanks in advance.

You desperately need to do a search on this question. I don’t want to be rude to a newbie (heck, we all like newbies), but this question has been asked and answered at least 3 times in the last month or so.

wouldn’t it have been easier to just answer the guy’s question if you know the answer? sheesh.

Aaaargh!!! Make it stop! Make it stop!!!

OpalCat is a longtime board member who does not like lists with only two items. Two items could just be included as part of a sentence like this:
I like beans and potatoes.
As opposed to:
I like

1. Beans
  2. Potatoes
    If she ever found herself with a 2-item list, she would add an additional item that said “3) Nothing, I just don’t like 2-item lists.” Other people started doing the same thing, adding a “3) Nothing, but Opal doesn’t like 2-item lists.” It eventually degenerated into “3) Hi, Opal!” and people started putting “3) Hi, Opal!” into longer lists, too.

Someone probably beat me to this already. :wink:

Opal’s opposed to liking beans and potatoes? Well, some can like beans and potatoes all the time, and all can like beans and potatoes some of the time, but not all can like beans and potatoes all the time.

You guys hold WSLer down a little longer will ya? The branding iron isn’t quite hot enough yet. And the only thing about the handshake is that it has to be done nude.

Since this is a question about this message board, I’ll move this thread to ATMB

Because this is where we keep the branding irons.

from Opal herself: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=2116403#post2116403

The branding irons are from Ranger Jeff.

As strenuous a proponent of newbies doing searches as I am, this strikes me as a topic that it might be difficult to effectively find with a search. What could you possibly search for that would include inquiries as to the significance of “Hi Opal” and exclude examples of it coming up in regular posts?

True indeed WL. It should be stuck in the FAQ instead.

Along with the following note:

pan

me-and-irene, apparently you aren’t aware that I have a fancy pants status on that board too. I know Fathom of old - I just don’t choose to post there very often.

What people do on Opal’s own board is between them and Opal. In jokes are tricky things - in Opal’s back yard there is bound to be a closer link between themselves and their board goddess.

Nonetheless on this board the “Hi Opal” is almost exclusively used by those with post counts in the low hundreds who’ve heard of the “joke” but have not yet realised just how tired it has become.

pan

Thanks, kabbes. Without wishing to turn this into a Pit thread, this joke is about as funny as ‘I know you are, but what am I?’. No offence to Opal, who obviously didn’t intend to start a trend, but can we please stop it?

the word ‘Opal’ in the title alone.

know thy search engine.

you’ll also note, please that not everyone does this. FOr me, it’s partly because I get tired of the once a month 'what’s with the ‘hi Opal’ thread from newbies, which then generates this same predictable line of responses.

As one who is in the low hundreds and uses Hi Opal quite a bit, I’ll say this: Hi Opal!

Seriously, if it wasn’t Hi Opal, it’d probably be **'lo Grinch ** or something else.
Personally, I think it’s kinda cute :wink:
[sub]and, yes, I asked about it when I was a real real newbie. :rolleyes: [/sub]

I’m sorry. Really I am. I’ll be good.

Sheesh, that turned kinda nasty. Sorry if I got some old posters a little bent out of shape, but doing a search on the SDMB’s, takes a long time, at least for my computer. By long, I mean upwards of 1/2 an hour. Which I could put to better use oh, I don’t know cleaning my room.

Well, you can always clean your room while it’s searching. :wink:

Better yet, WSLer could clean my room while it’s searching…