I for one wish that there were more options for hybrids in the pickup/SUV market. The first that came out was some small Ford SUV, then Toyota came out with a hybrid version of its Highlander SUV.
I currently drive a 2002 Toyota 4Runner, and I get about 24-27 mpg on the highway and about 17-20 mpg in the city. (I also only buy gas every 2-3 weeks) Some day when I replace it many miles from now, I just hope there are more hybrid choices on the road by then. Not saying that I would buy a Ford. I’ll probably buy another Toyota.
I did own a 2004 Honda Civic, it got about 25 mpg in the city and maybe 35 mpg in the highway. When I bought it I did look at the Civic hybrid, but I couldn’t afford a $5000.00 up charge on the hybrid. Also it was only available in white, black and beige 4 doors. blech. But it was the first year the hybrid Civic was available (I think). Now it is available in almost every Civic color and 2 and 4 door models. Although I am not sure what the price variance is now for the standard vs. hybrid. Maybe the price gap is closing.
I ended up getting the 4Runner because I was using my own vehicle for work so often. It is really hard to drag all the stuff I needed for drilling oversight/logging soils and collecting water samples in my Civic, I needed something more practical for work. Sometimes I do miss my Civic, but I really love my truck.
I also have to say that I really hate the Hummers, and those huge Nissan behemoths that I have seen driving around. I have been in Dodge 2500, Ford F-250/150 work trucks. So much wasted space. I swear they are big for the sake of being big.
On American cars, my dad drives a Chevy S-10 that is now about 10 years old. All sorts of weird problems. When I was a kid (in the late 70’s early 80’s) he drove some sort of 1970’s Chevy pick up, never had a problem with it. My mom had a 1980’s Pontiac SW- no problems, then a 1990 Chevy- all sorts of problems. Now she drives a 2006 Saturn, and it’s a pretty good car.
I had a 1995 Saturn, OMG is was being fixed all the damn time, but I had a 1990 Chevy Cavalier who’s only problem was that it ate starters and alternators for breakfast, other than that it ran like a champ until I got rid of it with 150K + miles on it.