What's your chosen name?

I go by my given name which is Catrin and I have enough trouble getting people to pronounce and spell that right :rolleyes:

I hate it when Brits Anglicize my name but funnily I was happy enough to go with Kasia, Kazka & (by twisted logic) Kate when living in Poland; Catarina or the imposing La Catrin in northern Italy (they have a habit of using la’ before girl’s names) - my new boss is busy calling me Catherine and frankly it doesn’t help my impression of her.

A few people call me Cat, (and BTW, no actual offense intended to AFG or others but I always sort of thought Catherines who use Cat were kinda cheating but I guess that’s just a reaction to forever having an ‘h’ inserted into my name.) my Dad calls me ‘CJ’ (Hi Seige!) from time to time that’s about it.

An old friend of mine has a new girlfriend. She’s half Scottish and half Vietnamese and her name is “Catriona,” which, I know is pronounced more or less like “Katrina” in Gaelic. But I was corrected. “Actually it’s Cat-Ree-Oh-Na. It’s okay. That’s a very common mistake.” I’ve resolved not to say her name at all.

My given name is Julia, which I always thought sounded stiff and elderly. I’ve gone most of my life being called Julie, which sounds like a perky blonde cheerleader, although personality-wise I’m more of an Eeyore.

A few years ago, I came to work at a place where there already was a Julie, so I went back to being Julia. Fortunately, I am now stiff and elderly, and it fits much better.