What's your favorite instrumental?

I was just wondering, because I can’t stop listening to “Nothing Is Good Enough” by Aimee Mann.

Han and Leia’s theme–I believe it’s titled Han and the Princess–by John Williams.

“Tannhauser Overture”- Wagner
“Clarinet Concerto”- Mozart

Not counting classical (technically, Beethoven’s Ninth isn’t an instrumental, so I’d pick his violin concerto), I’d probably pick something from the Allman Brothers; most likely “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.”

Second choice would be “Glad” by Traffic.

Elegia by New Order.

That is aside from classical… where there’s just too much to mention.

Goodness! Do I have to pick only one? I prefer all-instrumental music to music with vocals, to the point where the ONLY time I listen to music with vocals is when someone else puts it on. Anyway, here are some of my favorites…

Synergy: "Sequencer, “Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra” and “Metropolitan Suite.” These are all albums, not songs. I can’t possibly pick out individual cuts which I prefer since they all give me thoroughly intense eargasms.

Neil Nappe: “Nova” and “Pickupstix” from his album “July.” In that order, usually (depends if I’m in the mood to swoon or if I’m more energetic, respectively).

Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata.”
Chopin’s “Minute Waltz.”
All of Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” and Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos.

A Ressikan folk melody from Star Trek: The Next Generation first heard on the episode “The Inner Light” and then reprised by Capt. Picard on flute and Lt. Cmdr. Nella Darrin on piano in the episode “Lessons” – and which I had done an arrangement for on my own with my synthesizers.

You wouldn’t be familiar with them, but my own compositions (piano, synthesizer and acoustic 12-string guitar). :slight_smile:

Goodness! Do I have to pick only one? I prefer all-instrumental music to music with vocals, to the point where the ONLY time I listen to music with vocals is when someone else puts it on. Anyway, here are some of my favorites…

Synergy: "Sequencer, “Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra” and “Metropolitan Suite.” These are all albums, not songs. I can’t possibly pick out individual cuts which I prefer since they all give me thoroughly intense eargasms.

Neil Nappe: “Nova” and “Pickupstix” from his album “July.” In that order, usually (depends if I’m in the mood to swoon or if I’m more energetic, respectively).

Chopin’s “Minute Waltz.”
All of Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” and Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos. More classical, but let’s just stick with a minimal list.

A Ressikan folk melody from Star Trek: The Next Generation first heard on the episode “The Inner Light” and then reprised by Capt. Picard on flute and Lt. Cmdr. Nella Darrin on piano in the episode “Lessons” – and which I had done an arrangement for on my own with my synthesizers.

You wouldn’t be familiar with them, but my own compositions (piano, synthesizer and acoustic 12-string guitar). :slight_smile:

Chopin’s “Minute Waltz.”
All of Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” and Bach’s “Brandenburg Concertos.” More classical, but let’s just stick with a minimal list.

A Ressikan folk melody from Star Trek: The Next Generation first heard on the episode “The Inner Light” and then reprised by Capt. Picard on flute and Lt. Cmdr. Nella Darrin on piano in the episode “Lessons” – and for which I had done a full orchestration/arrangement on my own with my synthesizers just because I loved the melody so much.

Chopin’s “Minute Waltz.”
All of Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons” and Bach’s “Brandenburg Concertos.” More classical, but let’s just stick with a minimal list.

Jean-Luc Ponty, “Out of Time.” The whole f***ing album!

A Ressikan folk melody from Star Trek: The Next Generation first heard on the episode “The Inner Light” and then reprised by Capt. Picard on flute and Lt. Cmdr. Nella Darrin on piano in the episode “Lessons” – and for which I had done a full orchestration/arrangement on my own with my synthesizers just because I loved the melody so much.

Oops. Did I just post the same thing twice? I’m sorry!!! :frowning:

Excluding classical music, it’d be Wedding Cake Island by Midnight Oil.

Classic Gas. It’s just… cool.

Holy cow, BogNik, That is on my list. I nominate another obscure song by a well known Aussie band, only I don’t know the name of the song. It’s a 20 second interlude inbetween Violet Town and No Explanation on The Church’s Persia EP. Walk Don’t Run by the Ventures is pretty good too.

For me it’s a tie between Autobahn by Kraftwerk and Sikander’s pick Elegia by New Order.

Again, not including classical, I would run headlong into…jazz.

Most of my favorite jazz is instrumental. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a well-known favorite of mine, along with plenty by most of the jazz greats and some less well-known…

In blues/rock, I would have to say Hideaway, by Freddie King - its the song covered by Eric Clapton on the John Mayall and the BluesBreakers’ “Beano” album that led to the “Clapton is God” graffitti in London…I would probably add Stevie Ray Vaughn’s version of Little Wing off of the posthumous Sky is Crying CD or Scuttlebuttin’ off the Couldn’t Stand the Weather CD…

Just off the top of my head…

Godspeed, You Black Emperor!

motherfucker=redeemer

Don’t let the track name fool you, it’s really a fantastic, 30 minute rock/strings-heavy sonic colonic. I love it.

A bunch of stuff by Dick Dale and the Ventures. What can I say, I like surf music.

Canon in D Minor by Johanne Pachabel

Neil Young - Down By the River

Classical Gas by Mason Williams