What's your favorite instrumental?

Zooming in on pop/rock (as I think the intention was) rather than classical and jazz:

1. Samba pa ti (Santana)
  2. Albatross (Fleetwood Mac)
  3. Equinoxe II (JM Jarre)

Is that Rondo “a la Turka?” I love that song.

“Cliffs of Dover” by Eric Johnson

“Losfer Words (Big Orra)” by Iron Maiden

“Always with Me, Always with You” by Joe Satriani

and two bagpipe tunes that are traditional as far as I know (don’t know composers for these tunes, at any rate)

“Going Home” and “Highland Cathedral”

I’ve always enjoyed the overture to Tommy.

And there’s this neat track by Blur I think called “intermission,” something like that.

“Blood Money” by Primal Scream is my fave.

It’s a tie: Lonesome Moonlight Waltz by Bill Monroe and On Interstate 15 by Wall of Voodoo.

I never thought I’d hear mention of “Wall of Voodoo” on this board, let alone in a thread about instrumentals. Good work, xcheopis!

Wipeout
Sing Sing Sing (and a ton of other great "big band/swing songs that I don’t know the names of).
Whipped Cream by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass

AWB’s new mix of “Pick Up the Pieces”.

My favorite instrumental is definitely “Matsuri” by Kitaro, a 9-minute piece from his 1990 album Kojiki (Geffen 9 24255-2).

The word matsuri refers to a traditional festival held at a Shinto shrine.

The melodic part has only two themes alternating, which are melodically simple but very captivating. There is little or no harmony involved, except for parallel thirds during the repeat of the second theme. The rhythm is very bold and vigorous, driven by Japanese taiko drumming, a legacy of the traditional Shinto shrines. The bass line maintains a consistent throbbing pulsation throughout.

The middle section, before the melody resumes, is a taiko drum ensemble jam. It has the drummers exclaiming "Huh! … Huh!" in time to the rhythm every couple bars, so I hope that doesn’t disquality “Matsuri” as an instrumental piece.

The melody, played on bamboo flutes and synthesizers, is in the Aeolian mode of E minor; the first theme is composed of a few simple up-and-down figures. The second theme is made of longer flowing phrases that cascade pentatonically down the scale and back up again in strong but graceful patterns. To me it sounds starkly beautiful and captivating.

The overall feel I get from “Matsuri” is a clear vibe of virgin nature, the drums evoking the pure waterfalls over hard crystalline rocks in the mountains, the bracing wind blowing through the tops of tall trees in the Japanese forest, the unseen but felt presence of the kami spirits animating the natural setting in which is glimpsed a Shinto temple where the festival is taking place.

I totally love this piece. I never get tired of it. Its spiritual force is always refreshing and inspiring. :cool:

Waltz in A-Flat by Brahms

MOBEY DICK Led Zepplin

I forgot to add Very Very Loud

My favorite changes often, but this one has lasted for awhile.

It’s a combination of two songs, one leading into a layering with the other. “Moonglow and Theme from Picnic.”

Kalhoun:

Indeed it is. I think it is called Cavatina.

From Dizzy Gillespie’s “Live On The French Riviera” album/CD: Chega De Saudade (aka: No More Blues). If you exclude Gregg’s vocal portion, ABB’s Stormy Monday would go above Diz’s.

Well, it depends on the what I feel like listening to at the time, but right now, Lunch Box/Odd Sox by Paul McCartney and Wings, or Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd

Excluding Classical (so I don’t have to make a decision among all the Baroque and Renaissance pieces I love), I’d say Jessica by the Allman Brothers.