What's your favorite kind of steak?

I can’t believe no one has piped up to say “tube steak.” :smiley:

Ribeye has way too much gristle. you can call it “marble” all you want, but it’s nasty.

If I’m at home, I wasnt a T-Bone or Porterhouse with lots of garlic. If I’m out, gimme a Prime Rib with lots of sauteed mushrooms.

Either way, it’s gotta be medium rare. And I can soak up the juice (read: blood) with a roll.

Filet mignon, rare rare rare. I tell them, “Just warm it up!” Hmmmm…

The kind I’m cooking right now - FREE!!!

My mom grew up on a cattle ranch. Her brother owns it now, and we get all kinds of free beef.

I like any kind of steak that’s not fatty and not bloody. I really don’t understand why hordes of normal folks who would ordinarily be disgusted by the thought of drinking blood enjoy it in their steaks. I ask for my steak well done and get looked at like I’m a little strange. Shouldn’t the strange ones be the people who are eating half-raw slabs of meat? Hmm…

Izzy’s steakhouse in San Francisco. Prime rib, medium well, with horseradish. Spinach casserole and Izzy’s potatoes on the side. It’s the perfect meal.

I’m with you, neutron star. Man invented fire for a reason. Plus, even when I ask for beef “medium well” it usually comes back to me so rare that I stick a fork in and milk squirts out.

I like a nice filet carved off the side of creamy white slab of organic tofu. Marinade for a few hours in any one of a number of beautiful concoctions, then fry in a skillet with some butter and vege oil.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes! Half-raw is overdone! :slight_smile:

Per request of the OP, I’m moving this to IMHO.

Try onglet if you can find it. I’m told the nearest US equivalent is called “hanging steak”. You’ve got to have it rare or not at all.

It’s really weird … a well-done steak is just cooked longer. So it would be more OK to eat cooked blood? :dubious:

The red sqirty stuff isn’t blood. It is meat juice coloured red by myoglobin (red meat coloring stuff) as opposed to blood being colored red by haemoglobin (red blood coloring stuff). Myoglobin is destroyed at a certain temperature, that’s why a well-done steak does not drip red juice.

Back to the OP, I can’t comment on my favourite steak because the cuts are mostly called something else here in Germany. I don’t much like ribeye due to the fat. I like a high cut of lean steak. I am assuming that what is called “Huftsteak” in German is something like tenderloin in English.

Give me a nice slab of that (or a filet mignon), medium-rare with some salad, fries and a nice sauce bernaise. YUM! I want it now.

Another problem here in Germany is that there is no such thing as medium-rare. We have Englisch (rare), Medium and Well Done. Englisch is cold in the middle, which I don’t like. Medium may be overcooked, depending on the thickness of the cut. I always try to explain “medium-rare”, but as Germany is famous for being a “Servicewüste” (desert place with bad customer service) it gets tedious at times.

Steak, I want some steak …

Max, I don’t know quite how to break this to you, but a ribeye and a prime rib are the exact same piece of meat. The prime rib is a roast with bones. Cut the meat free from the bones, silce it into steaks, and it gets sold as a ribeye. I learned this when I wanted to BBQ some stuffed ribeyes. The butcher pulled a prime rib out and started cutting. When he was done, I had some beautiful thick ribeyes.

D_Odds A t-bone is one end of the cut. The filet side of the steak is tiny. The porterhouse is the other end with a decent filet side.

for my tastes, my butcher as an everyday special on prime filet roasts (about 5-7 steaks) for $5.39/lb I’ll go with that or a ribeye. Porterhouse only if I am really really starved.

Oh and one more thing Interrobang!? If you go back to El Gaucho do not under any circumstances order the ribs. They are about 4 steps past horrible IMHO. (ask me how I know this)

Filet Mignon for me, and just cooked enough to begin to turn pink in the center. My wife takes them bloody…she also likes to chew on the bones if she gets a steak with one in it. That’s why I have to restrict her steak choice when we dine out. At home, its another story…tosses the bones to the wolfhounds when she’s done.

Porterhouse, medium rare.

Filet Mignon, on the rare side of medium rare. That said, I also love a good steak tartare, so you know how I feel about beef being “just warmed up”. There’s something about eating a steak, though, that makes me like it somewhat…cookeder. I’d never send one back as being underdone, though.

I’ve been thinking, lately, of switching to ordering my steaks rare, but I’m afraid that it will be actually raw in the middle. I like raw beef, but the combination of raw beef and cooked beef kinda wierds me out. It’s one or the other. What does “rare” generally mean in a steakhouse? Will it be raw in the middle, or will it be cooked through, but just barely?

I’ve ordered many rare steaks, and never gotten one that I would call “raw” in the middle. I would call it warmed through and just slightly cooked in the middle, but not really raw. Maybe I should order it raw next time, just to see what the waiter says? :slight_smile:

But not the exact same cut of meat. Actually I’ve never seen a prime rib with bones. If I did I’d send it back. Maybe we’re thinking of two different cuts?

I’ll eat any kind of steak, as long as it’s rare, although I think prime rib and porterhouse are near the top. And yes, when I ask for it rare, I really do mean rare . Nothing pisses me off more than getting a so-called rare steak that’s light pink in the middle, except for getting a so-called rare steak that’s not even pink. :mad:

Don’t get into a kitchen much do you?
I would suggest that you a little research before you send any prime rib back because it has bones in it.
You will note that the name of the cut of meat is prime RIB not prime ribless. I know that it is some what misleading to have the name “rib” in a cut of meat, and have it actually contain ribs. :slight_smile:

From the Cook’s Thesaurus

If you go toThe perfect prime rib page and scroll down about 1/2 way there are some pictures of a cooked prime rib, with the ribs showing.

Now in a restraunt when you order a small cut of prime rib, it will probably be cut between two bones. If you order a large cut, it will most likely come with a bone. I say most likely, because some chefs cut the bone away from the meat before roasting and then insert spices between the bone and the meat. They then retie the meat to the bones for cooking. After cooking the bones may be discarded instead of being served to guests.

If you still don’t believe me, please let me know where you live, I want to come there and take you out for a prime rib dinner and watch you send it back because it has a rib in it. :smiley:

RIBEYE!!!
-med rare

this is a steak that can be cooked well, if necessary, and still retain some decent flavor

cook the rib and then cut it = prime rib. cut the rib then cook it = ribeye, either way it kicks ass