What's your favorite kind of steak?

The best, most expensive steak I had was a Kobe beef fillet, here in Sydney. Medium rare of course. It was an eye-fillet.

Get this - Kobe beef is raised on Guiness (the beer) and oats and massaged every day. I had to eat part of a cow that has that good a life. Delicious.

One fillet cost $70AUD IIRC. That is very bloody expensive. A typical good steak in Aust is ~ $15.

To quote Denis Leary:

Bring a live cow to the table! I’ll tear off what I want and ride the rest home!

In other words, I like steak rare, and I haven’t tried enough to tell which cut I like best yet.

I’ll never turn down a prime rib dinner, but really, I’ve never ever ever left anything on my plate after ordering prime rib, so either Outback does it different in the south, or I’m eating the bone without knowing it.

I’ve never had a piece of Prime Rib with the bone on it, either. However, Rick is right - the Prime Rib is a section of the rib part of the cow. However, I’ve never been to a restaurant where they didn’t carve the bones off. Then again, I’ve never ordered the 2 pound prime rib, either - I generally get smaller pieces. I’ve been with people who’ve ordered the giant steaks, though, and IIRC the bone was always carved off before serving.

The bones hold the meat together while it cooks, and it looks impressive while the meat is being carved. Other than that, I’d rather not have the bone on my plate.

Okay – how do you know this? I assume you mean ribs, not prime rib, but if I’m wrong let me know. I’m sure we’ll go back again someday when we’d like an expensive dinner.

(I was tempted by the venison, actually, but figured I’d stick with steak for my first visit to a steakhouse. Seemed appropriate.)

mine are medium well pepper corn steaks…yumm.

Rib-eye…just slightly kissed by fire. Marinade should be simple, Worcestshire sauce, red wine, or both. According to taste, possibly one of the grilling seasonings sprinkled on while cooking.

prime rib, medium rare, a1, and lots of salt, maybe a little lemon

Prime Rib Roast. MMMMMMMMM!

If you order from a good butcher, you get that beautiful roast on a rack of ribs. When I order this, I usually tell them the number of ribs I want. After roasting, the first thing is to cut off the ribs, then slice. The bones are pretty big, so if left on, you’d get a very thick prime rib slice. In my house, people want the bones as much as the roast. Think of them as cow spareribs :slight_smile:

I, too, have never seen the bones served with prime rib in restaurants, regardless of size. However, the ones I’ve seen in a roasting stage do have the bones on before slicing and plating (too small a sample size to be considered official, though).

p.s. Max, marbling is not gristle. If you get meat graded prime, you will get next to no gristle, if any at all. As you go down the scale (choice, select, whatever else - I may have the order backwards), the chances of and amount of gristle increase. No ribeyes I buy have gristle (I use a butcher). My FIL will buy steaks at a cheesy supermarket - same cut, which he’ll brag was cheaper, but isn’t as tasty and will have gristle running through it.

Not at all. What is strange is a person who insists upon eating their own shoes (aka “well done”).

Regarding my favorite steak–tartare!

Mind you, I do not mean that rubbish that the ignorant call “tartare”. Tartare is not supermarket hamburger with crunchy things and a raw egg mixed in. Tartare must begin with intact meat, which is then very finely chopped–that’s chopped, not ground. The cornichons, onion, capers, egg, et al are on the side as condiments.

Prime Rib, medium rare, with mashed potatoes on the side and a good beer in a tall glass.

That’s about as good as it gets :slight_smile:

Steak tartare! Yummy! But then I also love raw hamburger. But my favorite may not even be considered steak - flank steak, marinated a long time in sour marinade, then charcoal roasted rare and thinly sliced.

I always thought that prime rib was a roast, not a steak. What gives?

it is a roast. after roasting, it is cut like a rib eye steak

my mouth is watering just thinking about this thread
Mummmmmmmm rib

OK here is the deal. I was in Seattle for business (I go there a lot) company changed the way we are paid for meals on the road. So I decide to go out for a real fancy meal and stick my boss with the bill. On to El Gaucho.
Now I love ribs. Baby backs, or spare I am a sucker for ribs. So when I am checking out the menu I see that they have baby back ribs. The description on the menu made them seen like food of the Gods. I see the fire over by the kitchen and think that this could be wonderful. So I ordered the baby back ribs.

What arrived on my plate was this grey mass of juicy yet tastless meat. Did I mention that it was grey? I don’t know if they boiled them, or steamed them, but these ribs had never been near a fire. Ever.
They were horrible. I did not send them back, but I pobably should have. I had just thought that I would never go there again, but I may have to for a steak, now after your post.

Prime rib is a roast. If however, before cooking the bones are cut off and the “eye” (the round piece of meat) is cut into steaks, it is called a ribeye steak.

Unless you know you like venison I wouldn’t bother with it especially for that price. I love pretty much every meat, except deer, bear, antelope, and reptile. Elk and Buffalo steaks are great, with elk especially tasting much better than cow to me.

Gotta put another vote in for ribeye here.

Rare, or if you can do it right, black and blue.

If you’re going to marinade, then something with alcohol in it is great. Scotch works well, but not as well as bourbon. Cognac and peppercorns are nice. Red wine is overrated, but still good.

And if you don’t want to do that, then you have to go a long way to beat a blue-cheese sauce with a steak!

One thing I want to know is, do any steakhouses in the US tell you how long the meat has been aged? The best steaks are aged between 36 and 72 hours, imnsho (provided that they have been fresh butchered and not frozen). The art of cooking beef is, after all, all about controlled putrefaction ;).

What about mushrooms?