What's your favorite monetary denomination?

That one was neat. I liked it too.

I like the five dollar bill. Abe Lincoln’s benevolent face is comforting, and the $5 denomination is not too big, not too small. You don’t feel guilty about expecting a cashier to break a five.

It’s just a matter of what you’re used to. In Canada our last series that looked mid-Victorian design like your old hundred got pulled from circulation sixty years ago.

I like your new one better.

I like the Japanese 500 yen coin. It’s about the size of a quarter but worth more like $5. And Japan is the global vending machine leader.

When I first lived in Japan in the early 1990s. I had a big jar. Whenever I got a 500 yen coin in change, I wouldn’t spend it and rather toss it in the jar. 9 months or so later, I cashed in the jar for about USD1500 and blew it as extra spending money on a vacation.

Why do other countries feature foreigners on their currency?:confused:

I like the Loonie and the Toonie. I wish we’d adopt them here in the US.

I like the heft and density of the British One Pound coin (the pre-2017 ‘round pound’, not the current 12-sided monstrosity). I’d like a notional dollar coin to be something like that.

Because otherwise our currency would be full of guiris. Or we could just go architectural and have pictures of bridges! Now there’s an idea!

:smiley:

Too good for old Abe Lincoln, huh?

I’ll second the $5 bill nomination. Just right for convenience store purchases where they might not have change.

Favorite bygone coin: 50 cent piece. Great for flipping, just the right size for a coin.

$20, Highest store of value that is always accepted
$0.25 good size to value ratio for a coin
$0.10 good size to value ratio for a coin
$1 coin when $1 paper available, but only occasionally

Dislikes:
Nickels, bad size to value ratio for a coin
Pennies bad size to value ratio for a coin
$10, just a oddball, $5’s and 20’s do just fine, no need to confuse things with another denomination.
$50 Not universally accepted and gives some feeling hesitation in using them
$100 Not universally accepted and gives some feeling hesitation in using them
$1 and $2 coins when paper $1 is not available, Just end up carrying too much change.

The above basically for USD, CAD and Euros.

Eh, that beard might have made him worthy of maybe a coin… nah.

I get 50¢ coins all the time at banks in Maine. Most of them are dated 2001 or earlier, but they don’t circulate much, so many of them still look pretty good. According to an e-mail I got from the U.S. Mint, they are still considered a circulating denomination, it’s just that there are supposedly enough of them in circulation to meet current demand.

For convenience re: value, I appreciate the $10 and $5 bills. Other than that, most U.S. money is pretty uninspired.

I always like it in old British movies when someone has that huge old paper money. They were too big to carry in wallets, at least as we know them today, so it seemed that men just carried them folded over once or twice in their pockets. I’ve never seen them in person, if I ever go to Britain I will try to find a museum or someplace where I can at least look at them, if not handle them.

Just did a bit of inflation history research, and a 5 pound note in 1930 had the value of $500 US today. Makes you think, don’it?

For walking around, daytime money I like the $10 bill. If I need more than that, or if it’s evening when things are somehow more expensive, I have the old debit card.
The ginormous Ike silver dollars were awe inspiring. Wish I still had some but not for carrying around. I do like dollar coins though.
If Unca Sam would issue some clear holographic polymer 1 or 2 dollar coins I’d be all up in that.
Pennies suck as currency, but they make an interesting and decently-priced floor tile.

That certainly puts Bertie’s tips to Jeeves in a different light! :eek:

Hey, it wasn’t until 1935 that we had a couple of Canadians on our Bank of Canada notes, instead of all those kings and queens and dukes and earls and such, as well as dead English and French generals. :stuck_out_tongue:

Other than its ubiquity, I like the 20. It’s not so small that you can’t pay for most things that you decide to use cash for with several of them, and not so large that you feel embarrassed paying for small things with. You only need a few 5s and 10s in your pocket, which I do like, but any more than that will just fill up my wallet unnecessarily.

Here’s what the fiver looked like in 1930: just plain black and white

I’m really basic here: US 20$ bills and quarters.