What's your favorite sight gag from The Simpsons?

When Barney is kicked out of Moe’s Tavern, and Moe is still standing at the entrance, and, literally a second later, Barney is seen at the entrance, behind Moe.

Yes!

Also… from the episode where Homer buys a gun (The Cartridge Family) and he’s sitting out the cooling off period in front of his house watching a family of ducks, Ned on a ride on mower and Patty and Selma on their bikes like a shooting gallery.

Then when he gets the gun and he tells Marge to close her eyes for a big surprise, and when they open we’re looking from her perspective down the barrel of a gun.

Reminds me of the astronaut episode, when Barney loses control of his jet pack and crashes hard onto the roof of the mattress factory, then falls to the ground and is run over by a marshmallow truck.

THRILLHO

edit: Forum ate my caps

From the movie, when Bart is skateboarding naked and a variety of different things block the camera’s view of his penis, Austin Powers-style. It went on for what felt like forever, then he skates past a fence that blocks out everything but his penis from view for several seconds. Hilarious.

(Now the analytical part: it was a perfect set-up for the rest of the movie, because it was a classic convention twist in standard Simpsons tradition, but also showed that the writers were well aware of the new freedom they had in film versus TV.)

Here’s a couple more: When Homer’s hooked up to a lie detector and the FBI agent asks him if he understands what it is. “Yes.” The lie detector bursts into flame.

When the Simpsons go to Australia, Bart brings along a frog as an invasive species. By the end of the episode, they’re everywhere. As the Simpsons are leaving, we see a koala clinging to their aircraft. The camera zooms in on its eye. Hilarious, although it would have been funnier if in subsequent episodes, we saw koalas here and there in Springfield.

The kids are riding on the schoolbus as it passes a Volkswagen dealership. The bus cants to that side as all the kids crowd over to the windows, punching each other.

The end of the Jasper Johns episode. Homer has flooded the entire town as an art installation and the Simpsons are sitting on the roof, with one of Marge;s paintings. Jasper Johns rows by and steals her painting with an accompanying “Yoink!”

The whole show is littered with great business signs and names. Like the gun shop, “Blood Bath & Beyond”. Or the coffee shop, “Java the Hut”. Or the music store, “King Toot’s”. Or the toy store in Chinatown, “Toys ‘L’ Us”. Or the Cuban dance club, “Chez Guevara”. Or the mega-mart, “Try ‘N’ Save”. Or the seafood restaurant, “The Frying Dutchman”. Or the hair salon, “Turn Your Head And Coif”. Or the Canadian pharmacy, “Dudley Do Drugs”.

But I think my favorite is the dog neutering clinic, “Nuts Landing”.

And all the while, Tom Petty’s “The Waiting Is the Hardest Part” is palying in the background.

This made me think of the makeup gun sequence from the episode where Homer tries to become an inventor (“The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace”). Specifically that awful smear of face on the wall when Marge pushes the gun away from her face.

I have always said, that if I ever become famous and Simpsons season 39 wants me to guest star, I will only do it on the condition that I get to say “yoink.”

in the Mr. X episode, Homer escapes the island on a raft of toothpicks and plastic forks, and when we cut back to his house, the raft is parked in the driveway.

Ooh, you beat me to it! One of my favourites.

The one Treehouse of Horror short where Homer buys a hammock off a passing vendor and the hammock turns out to be a cloning device. It produces several hundred identical copies of Homer, all stupider than the original Homer. One of the clones resembles Peter Griffin instead of Homer.

Moe’s lie detector test

Wiggum’s version, from The Frying Game:

Wiggum: Well, I’d like to thank you for co-operating with u- DID YOU DO IT!?
Marge: Chief Wiggum, Homer and I are innocent.
Wiggum: Oh, sorry Marge I can’t believe I tried to trick you with such an underhan-- DID YOU DO IT!?
Marge: NO!
Homer: Now if you’ll excuse us we’ll just DOES THAT EVER WORK!?
Wiggum: No, never does.

Sound bite

Two words: Hail Ants.

And the ant overlords are wearing pants, of course. All the better to supervise the sugar caves with, presumably.

Far too many good ones, including the ones already mentioned. The PTA Disbands is a classic with many great gags. Two that come to mind are:

• Skinner: Begin braking procedures! (Children deploy jackets)
  • Skinner pointing with the “pointer” that’s been worn down to a nub

I think you mean conquer (one of my favorites).

One of the best sight gags was when Lisa asks Milhouse to give a note to Nelson for her. He passes it up to him in class, and when Nelson open it, it reads “Guess who likes you?” Nelson looks back at Milhouse who is raising his eyebrows at him. The next shot cuts to Milhouse in a stretcher outside of the school.

Awesome.

When Lisa tries to apologize to Milhouse the paramedic tells her “He can’t hear you now. We had to stuff his ears with gauze.”

Also, I must mention Milpool.

It still points doesn’t it?

also, Grandpa trying to help Jasper with his beard stuck in the pencil sharpener and Bart menacing the bank and the construction site.