What's your favourite anime?

Star Blazers a.k.a Space Battleship Yamato.

Robotech a.k.a Superdimensional Fortress Macross.

Lum a.k.a.Urusei Yatsura (“Those Obnoxious Aliens”)

Slayers known as “Slayers”. :wink:

Series: 1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Irresponsible Captain Tylor
3. Slayers Next
4. Ruroni Kenshin and Trigun (these are only this low because I haven’t seen them in entirety yet)

Movie: Nausicaa

Why, doesn’t everyone study comparative theology and mythology in their spare time? OK, neither do I, so I had to look up animism. Despite what this page says in the last couple paragraphs, I don’t think animism is a completely foreign concept in the West. Plenty of my co-workers still knock on wood, cross their fingers, read horoscopes, believe in demons and guardian angels, and are otherwise superstitious/believe in these little magics.

Shintoism may be a whole nother ball of wax, but I think it was pretty well sanitized for their protection… We’ll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it :slight_smile:

No, you don’t. Cardcaptors is a hack job, with episodes pieced together from the original. It’s so different, there are two sets of DVDs – one is just Cardcaptors, the other is subtitled-only Card Captor Sakura. And the voices aren’t even that great!

Oh, and all of Escaflowne should be out on DVD by now. It’s been out for ages, it seems. My first anime. :slight_smile:

Favorite of all time is probably Ranma. Current favorite is Hunter X Hunter. Other favorites are:

Naruto
Hikaru No Go
Flame of Recca
Inu Yasha
Scryed
Love Hina

Movies:

1. Grave of the Fireflies
  2. Spirited Away
  3. Perfect Blue
  4. Jin-Roh, the Wolf Brigade
  5. Princess Mononoke
  6. Ghost in the Shell
  7. Ninja Scroll

TV Show:

Speed Racer
Battle of the Planets

As I’ve only ever seen Speed and Battle of the Planets, there isn’t much from which to choose.

When I first saw Robotech I thoght it was great. I’m renting the Macross series now and it’s still ok, but I can’t believe how primative it is, but, for reasons of nastalgia, I’ll include all of Robotech (or, in other words, the seperate series Macek put togeather to make Robotech).
I also like Tenchi Muyo. I’m not that fond of Tenchi Universe though.
I really like the first Heroic Legand of Arislan, the second one is good too, but not as good, but three and four…yech…
Inuyasha is pretty good, Blue Seed too. Actually, they’re almost exactly the same.
3X3 Eyes, Birdy The Mighty Volume 1, The Big O
Demon City Shinjuku, Outlaw Star, Roujin Z
Spirited Away, **Yotoden: Chronicles of the Warlord Period **

I debated about whether to put 3x3 Eyes on my list. It was one of my first anime, and I found it so maddeningly provacative. The plot made little sense and ended on a cliffhanger after 6 episodes. I desired to see more. I yearned to know more. For 8 years, I searched the internet for images, story synopsis, anything that could clue me in on Pai’s mysterious past, as well as what became of her.

Last summer I found out. You know the old saying about being careful what you wish for because you just might get it? Yeah, it’s something like that.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love the series. But I feel a little betrayed.

The original Streamline release of “The Perfect Collection” was confusing. Key points about Pai’s past and the fate of the Sanjian race were snipped. Why, I don’t know. Maybe Mr. Macek thought that made her seem more mysterious. But, like I said before, it made the story maddening.

When I finally got to see the Pioneer release last summer, I was outraged when I realized how Macek had tortured me all these years. But… but in some ways, the Streamline version was maybe a little better. The dialog was more jokey, but it was more fun. The characters had personality. In the newer release, everyone is played a lot more straight… even the transvestites in the gay bar. But the story makes more sense! See what a tough call it is?

And don’t get me started on the sequel, The Legend of the Divine Demon. We finally find out where Pai’s been all these years… only to discover she remembers NOTHING of her past life. As if it wasn’t annoying enough when she didn’t remember anything about the Sanjian in the first series, in the second series she doesn’t remember ANYTHING. AT ALL. And it also isn’t resolved.

So I have a love/hate/love/hate relationship with the whole 3x3 Eyes thing. To sum it up:

3x3 Eyes: The Perfect Collection (Streamline Release): 4 stars. Dark, bloody, brooding, and intriguing. Leaves you hungry for more, more, more.

3x3 Eyes: The Immortals (Pioneer rerelease): 3 stars. Makes more sense, is still dark and bloody, but lacking the fun and personality of the first.

3x3 Eyes: Legend of the Divine Demon: 2 1/2 stars. Finally find out what happened to Pai, decide maybe it was more intriguing not knowing.

April 15th, along with a couple other of Miyazaki’s films.

Speaking of, there’s a definite trend on my favorite anime film list:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Winds (just added recently after my first viewing)
Princess Mononoke
Castle of Cagliostro
Spirited Away
(which clinched it; I’m buying up the rest of his movies sight-unseen as fast as they become available.)

Akira holds a fond place in my heart.
Grave of the Fireflies is amazing, in a slit-your-wrists sort of way.

TV series:
Cowboy Bebop, definitely.
Serial Experiments: Lain
Macross is a nostalgia piece for me; I like Macross Plus far more, but of course makes zero sense or impact in some parts if you don’t know the original. I gather Mospeada (the series that got Maceked into the Invid Invasion third act in Robotech) is getting released soon, which makes me pleased.

Haven’t really seen many movies, so I’m not sure I can pick the best one, however, for series, definatly Cowboy Bebop.

I even hooked my dad on it, and he never really gotten into any of the other Anime’s I’ve shown him. Cowboy Bebop, at the end of “The Real Folk Blues, Prt. 2” he asked me two question.

1. "There’s no more?

2.“What’s the name of the movie?”

Movies (in no order):
Monoke Hime
Spirited Away
Laputa, Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa
Lupin III: Castle Cagliostro
Grave of the Fireflies

TV Series:
Dr. Slump (just too trippy for words. “Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle Gym” had me rolling on the floor)
Ranma 1/2 (the first anime I ever saw in Japanese. Makes me feel nostalgic for college)

I couldn’t rank them if I tried, but I always enjoy Ranma, Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, and Lain.

It’s a tough call, but I think my current favorite is Trigun.

<Sigh> Minmei…</sigh>

Go here–

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163949

Undecided between Lodoss war and digimon adventure, with Inu-Yasha as a close third.

My favorite at present is Excel Saga.

Excel Saga is…wrong. But in a way that has my friends and I falling out of our chairs laughing with every episode. I mean, where else will you hear an ending theme sung (or howled, rather) by a dog, and have it called “Bolero of Sorrow: And Now You Are Going To Eat Me”? Or watch the main character get herself killed within the first 20 seconds of the first episode - and then get resurrected because the show hasn’t started yet?

Name the genre, be it serious salaryman dramas, military b-movies, horror flicks, cute animal shows, sports anime, or Japanese dating simulations, Excel rips it all, and the references and homages to anime of the past fly fast and thick. You really have to be on your toes to catch it all, and believe me, the pop-up balloons explaining a lot of it are essential!

For example, there’s a scene where a character, Nabeshin, finds his old friend down a pit, trussed up in an iron mask. They escape, but just before they make it to freedom, the friend is shot. Dying, the friend asks Nabeshin to remove the mask so they can see him for real, one last time…
The mask comes off, and the art changes to the style of Leiji Matsumoto, of Galaxy Express 999 fame. So intentionally jarring, yet hysterical. Particularly, when she tries to say something - and is completely drowned out by a train that comes out of nowhere, yet another homage to Japanese film techniques…

I have heard that there’s a musical episode at the end. Given what they’ve done so far in what I’ve seen of this series, I fear that episode with the passion of a thousand suns. But it’s a good fear, really! :slight_smile:

This is an anime that I’m first in line for whenever new DVDs are released. Try it, you’d like it!

Anime isn’t my sort-of-thing but I am irrevocably addicted to “INITIAL D!” - does this count?

For anyone who’s not encountered it yet - Initial D is equal parts fast cars, teenage prostitution and tofu deliveries :slight_smile:

TTFN

JP

Series:

Hunter X Hunter [why hasn’t this been licensed yet :frowning: ]
Rurouni Kenshin
One Piece
Haibane Renmei
Witch Hunter Robin

Movies/OAV:

Laputa
Nausicaa
Read or Die
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku hen

Favorite Series: Cardcaptor Sakura, Magic User’s Club, Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain

Movies: Laputa (Castle in the Sky), Princess Mononoke, and MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. I LOVE TOTORO!!!

I HATE Revolutionary Girl Utena. I don’t think I’m an idiot (YMMV) and any movie where I have to go online just to find out what the heck it was about… Well, I didn’t like it. Not one bit.:stuck_out_tongue:

No Neon Genesis Evangelion?!

I am trying to get hyperjes to watch it, but it is a time investment. And as far as…

well, that is why I don’t push too hard on Evangelion. :stuck_out_tongue:

Other Series:
Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Lain, Gundam Wing (guilty pleasure that), there are so many…

Movies:
Perfect Blue was amazing.
Ninja Scroll is another classic.
Akira of course.
Loved Mononoke.
Totoro is so sweet that I can’t help but love it.