What's your oldest favorite movie?

David? Where the hell did I get DAVID? Sorry.

Well, THE DAMM FAMILY is probably the cat’s pajamas, but it’s TWO MINUTES LONG. How much depth and nuance can you develop in two minutes?

I’d love to borrow THE CHEAT from you, but only after I finally watch the copy of HEARTS OF THE WORLD (1916) you loaned me a few weeks back. Perhaps it will supplant BROKEN BLOSSOMS as my earliest.

Cat: Don’t forget HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929. It’s got the ORIGINAL Ukulele Ike (not the cheap ersatz SDMB version) introducing “Singin’ in the Rain.”

Uke

Safety Last (1923) starring Harold Lloyd.

Duck Soup. No two ways about it. Hail Freedonia!

An infinite number of rednecks in an infinite number of pickup trucks shooting an infinite number of shotguns at an infinite number of road signs will eventually produce all the world’s great works of literature in Braille.

For silent pictures, my favourite is Battleship Potemkin (1925), a classic film that influenced pretty much every director that followed. My favourite old talkie has to be King Kong (1933), still a great movie even today.

If I was discussing Lucy Lawless but I wrote Lucy Topless, would that be a Freudian typo?

Can’t believe no one has said Metropolis (1927). That’s mine.

What’s another word for euphemism?

How 'bout this for old: Blacksmith Scene :smiley:

For real, though: Casablanca for drama and Arsenic and Old Lace for comedy.

What would Brian Boitano do / If he was here right now /
He’d make a plan and he’d follow through / That’s what Brian Boitano would do.

My faves aren’t that old:

Grand Illusion (1937)
Casablanca (1942)
It happened one night (1934)

And a few others I can’t think of at the moment.

“I thought: opera, how hard can it be? Songs. Pretty girls dancing. Nice scenery. Lots of people handing over cash. Got to be better than the cut-throat world of yoghurt, I thought.” - Seldom Bucket

His Girl Friday (1940)

I always envisioned the OP’er as looking (and acting) like Ros Russell in this one.

Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars.

I love old movies - due to an early addiction to the Late Late Show aided by a TV in my bedroom. I tend to avoid the silents, though, except for must-sees like Nosferatu and Lon Chaney in The Phantom of the Opera. I like actors with good “pipes.”

Horsefeathers - “whatever it is, I’m against it!” (sung by Groucho).

Champagne for Caesar - an impecunious physics professor goes on a radio quiz show and tries to win the sponsor’s soap company. Ronald Coleman (great pipes) is the prof, Art Linkletter plays the quiz show host and Vincent Price is the wonderfully villainous soap co. owner. (At one point, Coleman gets a question on relativity “wrong” but Albert Einstein calls the radio show to say he got it right.)

The Uninvited - a ghost story with an actual ghost. Stars Ray Milland.

Laura - Waldo Lydecker! Actually, I’ll watch just about anything with Clifton Webb. Dreamboat, the Lynn Belvedere movies, Mr. Scoutmaster.

And someday, I’d like too hold the Richard Haydn film festival, starting with And Then There Were None.

[great big Ros Russell kiss for Frankd6]

Without a doubt, “Gone With the Wind” (1939)

Evie-
Probably “House of Games” circa 1980ish??

-Frankie

“Mother Mercy, can your loins bear fruit forever?/Is your fecundity a trammel or a treasure?”
-Bad Religion

Frankie I love that movie!

1980?! EIGHTY? Pass me the smelling salts . . .

I don’t know a thing about silent films, sadly. But my favorite oldie is Rules of the Game 1939.

Animal Crackers (1929, Marx Brothers)

Dracula (1931)

But where were the Spiders?

I think Animal Crackers was 1930 and the brothers’ first movie, The Cocoanuts, was 1929.
My ancient favorites are:
Woman Haters and Punch Drunks (1934), the Three Stooges’ first two shorts
The General, about 1926
Early Our Gang shorts; they started making them at the Hal Roach studios in 1922–silents, of course. In the late 50s and early 60s we could still see some of the silents on TV.
The Music Box, (sound), Laurel & Hardy
Hoose Gow (silent), Laurel & Hardy
Who Done It?, 1942, Abbott & Costello

frankd6, I love His Girl Friday! I wish I could find it somewhere for my collection.

Any Marx brothers flick

Blues Brothers-1979?

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

The Thin Man
Men in Black - Three Stooges Short
Both 1934-35 time frame I think.