Whee, I'm finally in Japan!

As shown in this thread, and this thread, I’ve been planning a trip to Japan for a while. I finally arrived in Tokyo on the 22nd, and I’ve been getting my sea-legs here in Ikebukuro since.

It’s been a lot of fun so far, and I haven’t gotten totally lost or anything like that yet, surprisingly. I’m posting my exploits on a weblog over here, and my friend and I are posting pictures here. Nothing too interesting yet I guess, but we’ve only been here a few days.

Anyone have any recommendations for stuff to do in Tokyo? We’ve been exploring various places, and making the most of the train system, but recommendations on stuff to do is very welcome.

Actually, we’re not sure if we’re staying in Tokyo for much longer, so recommendations on places to visit in general would be nice. I think we might visit Odaiba next, on our way to Kojima, but it’s up in the air at this point.

If anyone wants to e-mail me, it can be done at yawnyou@gmail.com Thanks to those who offered suggestions in previous threads and to those who might do so in this one.

Welcome to the Land of the Rising Sun. I do reccomend taking a trip to see the Tokyo Tower; sure its a really large touristy place, but its the Tokyo Tower.

If, maybe, you can squeeze a Skyline GTR 35 into your carry-on for the trip back, I will be your slave in whatever capacity you want for a year.

Full size, actual working Skyline GRT 35. *

*Tristan is not liable for promises of Slavery and other silly things. But he’d still like a Skyline.

If you haven’t been there yet, I highly reccomend the Meiji shrine. Lovely place.

Get to a hot spring resort somewhere and get the full experience - Japanese style hotel, Japanese food and the bath. Hakone is probably the closest decent place (a couple hours by train).

I went to Tokyo Tower last time I came to Japan and enjoyed myself, though I don’t think I’ll be going back. It was fun, but I lack the monies and I don’t think it’d be as fun the second time around.

I’ve seen quite a few nice cars since I’ve come to Japan and at least 4 or 5 skylines in the 5 days I’ve been here. What’s nice about Japan is the variety of cars; you don’t see Civics, Accords and Camrys everywhere. What’s very cool are the tricked out vans and fully chromed trucks, though I haven’t seen any that are picture-worthy yet. Last time in Japan we saw one with wings and fins, it was quite awesome.

I’m planning to go and splurge on Onsen at some point during the trip, probably after the 13th of August. I also hope to visit Kyoto and a few of the temples and shrines there. I seem to remember one huge one that was really interesting, but I can’t for the life of me remember any uniquely distinguishing features.

As it is, I’ve been doing a lot of wandering around Tokyo, and spending too many 100 yen pieces in arcades. One thing that really bothers me about Tokyo: people won’t look you in the eye often, and even if they do, they won’t nod or smile back if you do so to them. Oh well.