Wheel Of Fortune bonus round let down

Why do people always jump up and down with excitement when Sajak opens the card and reveals the 33k “jackpot”? I mean, 33k is the least you can win, so by winning it, you lose. I can understand being excited that you got the puzzle right and will therefore have some cash coming. But that excitement should come right after you get it right. But it’s not until he opens the card that people go ape. Don’t they know how it works? It just seems like, every once in a while, there’d be some glass half empty types who when they see the 33 would say “Damn.”

Probably for much the same reason that they clap continuously each time the wheel spins and yell “C’mon, Bob!” They have to audition to be on the show and the producers pick the most bubbly, excitable ones, and then instruct them to be as bubbly and excited as possible when appearing on camera. And if anybody ever yelled “Aw spit! $33,000? That’s all?” they would probably edit out that scene, have a talk with the contestant and tell them to re-enact it.

Are you asking why people don’t complain after winning $33,000?

They screen their contestants on Wheel of Fortune very carefully. Anyone who might remotely qualify as a “glass half-empty type” doesn’t get onto that show. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, it’s still pretty awesome to win $33k, even if it’s the “worst” prize.

Maybe they’re glad to have a wad of cash instead of a trip to someplace they’ve already been or an SUV what won’t fit in their garage.

At this point I would jump up and down if someone handed me whatever $33,000 is after taxes.

Moderating:

Since this is about the TV show I’m moving it to Cafe Society.

Do you have a list of the prizes? Even if it is worth the least cash, it sounds like a cash prize. I’d almost always prefer a cash prize over something else.

I’d be lucky to keep 20 grand after taxes and I’d still be happy about it. I can’t imagine the circumstances where I’d say “Damnit! Only $33,000 for guessing a letter”.

As I said, I get being jazzed at winning a nice chunk of cash. But the SECOND you solve the puzzle, you know, or should know, you have at least 33k coming. The joyous celebration should start then. Then when he flips the card, if it’s 33k (and you’re not a glass half empty type), party on. If it’s >33k, crank it up a few notches. Yet, watch the show: When they solve the puzzle, they stand by in rapt expectation, like a dog who sees its master fumbling with a box of Beggin’ Strips. Then, not until the number pops up do they go bananas. You have to admit, it seems a bit whack.

Sometimes my wife and I will watch Wheel around dinner time. A DVR is a wonderful 21st-century aid for solving these puzzles!

The mechanics of the show have changed over the years to keep it interesting.

For the final puzzle, which is invariably a hard-to-guess “Thing”, they give you RSTLN and E, the most common letters anybody would normally guess, plus allow to you choose three more consonants and one more vowel. I can’t help but think about Scrabble tile values every time they do this.

As a plus, if you’ve managed to save a Wild Card from earlier play, you can use it here to get one additional letter, which - luck of the draw - could really make the difference.

Additionally, if you’ve won the million-dollar wedge on the wheel during regular play, one of the envelopes on the prize wheel is $1M. So, to win a million dollars, you have to:
[ul][]Get the million-dollar wedge in regular play and not lose it through bankruptcy[]Beat the other two contestants by having the highest total (the $1M wedge does not count) at the end of regular play[]Get lucky enough that you spin up the $1M prize just prior to the final puzzle[]Solve the final puzzle[/ul]I have yet to see it actually happen.

[quote=“psiekier, post:10, topic:742301”]

Additionally, if you’ve won the million-dollar wedge on the wheel during regular play, one of the envelopes on the prize wheel is $1M. So, to win a million dollars, you have to:
[ul][li]Get the million-dollar wedge in regular play and not lose it through bankruptcy[]Beat the other two contestants by having the highest total (the $1M wedge does not count) at the end of regular play[]Get lucky enough that you spin up the $1M prize just prior to the final puzzleSolve the final puzzle[/ul]I have yet to see it actually happen.[/li][/QUOTE]

I think you also have to (a) solve the puzzle in which you won the wedge, and (b) not hit Bankrupt in any later round. I am not sure whether or not either or both of those rules apply to any other wedge prizes.

Note that the million dollar prize replaces the $100K prize on the mini-wheel.

It has happened once; I’m pretty sure it is on YouTube somewhere. In fact, I don’t think anybody has spun the million dollar wedge and not solved the puzzle.

You also have to call a correct consonant as soon as you land on the million dollar wedge.

If you get the Wild Card or the “1/2 Car” wedge, you can also lose it if you land on bankrupt in a later round, unless you first get the other 1/2 Car wedge and win the round in which you got it.

Three people have won the million dollar prize:

Michelle Loewenstein

Autumn Erhard

Sarah Manchester

The million dollar prize is paid in installments over 20 years.

It has happened at least once. April 2, 2015.

True enough…but have we ruled out an electrical grid right under the contestants’ feet, and a timely switch to the “on” position?

Who’s Bob?

The contestant spinning. Bob. Or maybe Maybelle.

If my Mom ever got on Wheel she’d be pissed off if she only got $33k or “El Cheapo” as she calls it. I’m sure they’d weed her out of the contestant pool somehow. :smiley:

I haven’t seen this show forever, but if I remember correctly, WoF had some seriously over-priced, crapola “prizes” that contestants were forced to buy if they had any money left to spend.

I’d be thrilled to have $33k in cash instead of a $40k ceramic dog statue.

you haven’t seen it in a while. They stopped making people buy crap prizes nearly 30 years ago.