When are you at your most creative?

Is it some place that is magical for you, the company you keep, a specific time of day? As an artist, I am curious as to what stimulates each person’s creativity.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

(Dangit…thank’s to OpalCat, I have that song stuck in my head…PurplCrackWhore and I don’t care… hehe)

Anyhow, oddly enough I find my most creative side starts in the evening. Usually around 7:30ish. I can work through to 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. (part-time web designer)

I am not much of a morning person, my brain doesn’t function much till about 11:00am.

There are the odd days where something inspires me and I can be creative in the afternoon but never mornings.

Any ideas on how to break a creative block? (going through one now)

I’m at my most creative when under great mental stress. Desperation is the mother of invention I guess. If I’m writing a paper, I will have total writer’s block until the night before… poetry only comes out when I’ve been dumped, or am in fear of it… if there’s no pressure, I just can’t force anything out.

http://www.madpoet.com
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Well it depends:

At work - Under stress… I can resolve many issues when under a tight looming deadline

At play - After stress when my mind is so overloaded that it just wanders.

How do you like that! And without so much as a “Kiss my foot” or “Have an apple”!

Walking my dogs, particularly if I’m walking them at night.

I think it helps creativity to have some time to turn your thoughts inward, free from the T.V. and radio and computer and people in general. The darkness helps by limiting the visual distractions.

As with the above posts, I work best under stress. As for new ideas, however, I find that there is something of a correlation between the idea/thought/etc. that I come up with and the distance I am from any writing utensil.

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right…

This may seem bizarre but it’s usually during my period. That seems to be the time when I write the most creative, interesting or outrageous stories. My concept of color seems sharper at this time too so I usually do my glass selection during this time. So I actually look forward to getting my period. Weird, huh?

Best!
Byz

Mmmmm…when making love!,when else! :slight_smile:

Please forgive me i’m English!

I am very similar to techchick actually. Never before 10 or 11am… and when the sun goes down I generally start warming up. In the middle of the night I’m generally neck high in some project that I’ve been working on for hours and my creativity is at max.

Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
“Meat flaps, yellow!” - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Toenails…Tell me something I don’t already know!

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Well, I get up every day at the crack of noon, and I don’t even think until after coffee. Habit alone directs my survival until One o’clock.

Creativity seems to begin most often after the sun goes down, more often later in the evening. Once it does, monomania sets in. I can’t seem to let go of something until I get the central idea completed. Two or three days straight is as likely as an overnighter.

Really big projects, like whole programs from scratch or an elaborate visual/plastic arts design generally mean the loss of all but exhausted sleep, minimal sustenance, and medically essential hygiene. I just can’t stop.

Songs, and poems are blessedly less intrusive, and simply leave me distracted, but able to function in society for a day or two, as I mumble lyrics under my breath, and sing out loud whenever I believe I am alone. The process is a nagging impediment to anything I do, though, until it is finished, and delivered to the object/subject/inspiration. After that, I seldom recall the silly things, and must rely on the recipients to keep a copy. I seem to be a very process oriented artist.

For this reason, as much as any other, I have always avoided becoming involved in creative work, professionally. That would kill me, if it were a regular part of my job.
<P ALIGN=“CENTER”>Tris</P>

Byz: You are not alone! I myself am not like that, but I’ve read that an awful lot of women do have their most creative moments during their periods.

I am at my most creative when I am broke. Trying to figure out what to eat when all I’ve got is macaroni and Enfamil is a real excercise in creativity!

Late, late, late at night, or whenever I’m tired. I can write some good stuff then.

JMcC, San Francisco, JJM’s page from the Bay
Q. What did Bill Gates’ wife say on their honeymoon?
A. Microsoft, huh? No kidding.

I get a lot of writing done during my Quantum Mechanics class.
– Sylence

I don’t have an evil side. Just a really, really apathetic one.

Two ways: I’m a night person, so I like to do my creative work late in the day and onwards into the night. Also, with a deadline looming I know things will get done.

The other way is it comes in large blocks. I can go several months being totally creatively dead, then six months of full-on making up stuff. Any visitors to the PigeonMan site will know I’m in a slump just now.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat. If I can be bothered.

3 o’clock Sunday morning, full of caffeine.

Usually I’d say right about now (12:30 am), but I have to finish up my thesis, and I’m having a hard time coming up with a good conclusion.

And yes, it’s due tomorrow morning.

~Kyla

“You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.”

Whenever I have nothing handy to write down my idea. Usually in the car, but the hopper is another creative oasis.

Anytime I wake up at night and can’t go back to sleep! I’ll go to my desk and pull out a pad and story ideas just come flowing out.

I’m working on the - nah, I let my publisher tell you.

“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore.’”
E A Poe

When nobody is around. I have a keyboard, and I wrote some songs for it, and I was thinking about starting a band… and then I started college and they stuffed me in a room with a roommate. I don’t know what it is, but I can’t even play chopsticks if someone’s watching me, or not watching me, or pretending not to watch me. This dorm life has put a crimp in my creativity the size of Nebraska. It helps a little if I plug in earphones, but then I just feel silly. I am so out of practice right now, it isn’t even funny. I can’t wait for the semester to end. Then, I’ll go back to my parents’ house, and sit in my room all day long and play.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler