When did Black people become the REAL racists?

Thanks for clarifying.

That’s unlikely to happen. Candidates who are voted in due to the black vote will have to pander to them. That’s what politicians do. And it does make sense for the points I’ve already noted. The Democrats would stop taking them for granted and the Republicans would actually make more of an effort then you’re gving them credit for (look at the Regan Democrats, many of whom stayed with the party). And I’m using credit in a morally neutral way insofar as they would do so solely because it suited them and would be in their interests.

Rovian? That tactic is a lot older than that and the Clinton’s were doing it better than anyone, even Rove.

Thank you.
A craftsman is always grateful for the praise given good work.

Do you even read the threads? You’ve honestly never seen a post when someone talks about being against Obama or one of his policies and the response is “They don’t like him because he’s Black.”?

For Ibn Warraq just from searching “black” and “Obama”. I know there are other posts that are better examples.

In response to **What’s the gist of this Executive Order, and why might my cousin characterize it as “evil”? **

Referring to a reporter heckling the President

To BobLibDem’s question “If Obama loses, how could someone else be more centrist?”

Just re-reading your posts Marley23 and I see your point about Presidential elections. I don’t think it’s applicable in day tight Congressional races. If there were a meaningful shift such that it impacted these races then politicians, being a venal lot, would react accordingly.

I completely reject that premise.

No–people are accused of not liking Obama because they’re racist. I haven’t seen anyone accused of being racist because they don’t like Obama.

I might similarly accuse someone of being an asshole because they kick puppies; that’s different from accusing someone of kicking puppies because they’re an asshole.

For my part, I kick puppies because puppies are assholes. Always pissing on everything, always crushing for attention, and they just won’t shut up . . . :mad:

I don’t think you have looked very hard. There are a lot of posts on this board claiming that all the opposition from the Tea Party is race based or that any number of other people opposed Obama or his policies because he is black. I would not venture a guess which accusation is more prevalent, but there are clearly posters who have expressed the cause and effect in each direction.

No, The whole point of the Republican’s Southern Strategy, which although thew now disown, they still follow, is that ‘pandering’ to black voters will cost them more white votes than it will gain them black votes. If they can get blacks to vote for them without providing any tangible benefits, they are in effect having their cake and eating it too.

It is true that the social math of divisive racial politics is changing, and perhaps what you suggest will eventually happen. But it hasn’t happened yet, and the way the party is going ever further to the right, it’s not happening real soon.

I don’t know why, and I don’t mean this in any sort of derogatory fashion, but for some reason that made me laugh.

The party has shifted emphasis before and will likely do so again. Indeed it may very well have to. Eventually the interests of Blacks and Hispanics will likely not be aligned and a divergence will occur. That’s not a bad thing as a healthy democracy benefits all of us.

How in the world does it make even the slightest amount of sense to pander to people who are already voting for you? And in what world is it okay to vote for people whose policies you believe are harming the country just so you can get more power?

The Republicans will start pandering to blacks when they finally see it consistently costing them elections, without anyone having to compromise their principles.

What color puppies?

I confined my looking to the evidence Saint Cad offered for his claim.

…i.e., that the Tea Party doesn’t like Obama because they’re racist, right?

i.e., that those other people don’t like Obama because they’re racist, right?

I absolutely agree that such accusations fly. What I said I haven’t seen is the flipped accusation: that mere dislike of Obama proves racism, or that people are racist because they dislike Obama.

I might say that a creature has four legs because it’s a cow, but that’s very different from saying it’s a cow because it has four legs.

If someone is racist, that’s sufficient evidence that they’re gonna dislike Obama; that argument gets made all the time. The claim was that people say that if someone dislikes Obama, that’s sufficient evidence that they’re racist. I’m not sure I’ve seen people make that claim. Certainly not in the examples offered by Saint Cad.

Yes, but the evidence offered that they are racist is that they dislike Obama.

I am not limiting my references to those of Saint Cad, (which might explain our different viewpoints), but long before a couple of loud Teabaggers made explicitly racist claims, there were cries on this board that “those people” simply hate Obama because he is black. For that matter, while the majority of members of the Tea Party movement have seriousy failed to distance themselves from the racist elements within it, (which I suspect has more to do with the individualistic approach they take to life–in which they simply do not consider riding herd on each other to be a high priority–than to any support, open or tacit, for their racist brethren), the movement had its first stirrings under GWB, not Obama, yet there are still posters who have claimed that they are in opposition only because Obama is black.

Citation needed.

Not because I categorically reject what you’re saying, but because I’m unfamiliar with the posts you’re talking about, and am not sure you’re describing them accurately.

In any case, this may be a bit of semantic quibbling. The idea that anyone would say, “Not liking Obama is proof of racism,” or anything along those lines, is ludicrous. It’s perfectly plausible, though, that someone has misread someone’s dislike of Obama as a symptom of racism; and if that’s all you or Saint Cad is claiming, I got no beef with it.

Will this thread work?