When did "butter" become a synonym for "margarine"?

Or when you order a cheeseburger with just pickles and they ask you if you want the cheese…umm, maybe I wouldn’t have ordered a cheeseburger otherwise. Next they’ll ask if I want the meat and bun!

Heh. I always worry about this when I order a cheeseburger for my 9YO “with nothing but ketchup” (she would never dream of eating pickles or mustard!) and I’m just waiting for the day when I get. . .a hamburger bun with ketchup. Period. :wink:

At least your fast food brain surgeon (McD’s, FWIW) wasn’t the one who insisted I wanted Dr. Pepper despite my order of Diet Coke. After three tries to get said Diet Coke, I gave them my entire order back without demanding a refund and stormed off in a huff to the Wendy’s down the road.

To add insult to injury, same thing happened the next weekend at a different place in a different state. That time I told the droid that if he did not immediately remove the Dr. Pepper from my order screen, he was going to lose the sale. He copped a 'tude, and I wound up dealing with the manager directly.

LOL, I’m 24 and I get pissed when I pull the lid off the butter dish and find, horror of horrors, actual butter. I was raised on Parkay, I likes me the margarine. Real butter is creepy and white shudder To my folks’ shame I’m one of the young asshats who calls margarine butter.

Mama Plant referred to margarine or butter as “Oleo”. During WWII, butter was rationed and some nasty thing called “Oleo” was eaten instead.
I believe this is where the confusion came from, and was learned from parents after that.

I’ve never had Real Butter as a staple in my house, ever. We was po’ growing up, and couldn’t afford it - nowadays, I haven’t had it often enough that I can tell the difference, so I still get the cheaper stuff.

We always called it “butter” though. I remember being taken aback when I went to a friend’s house and they had both butter (for baking and stuff) and margarine (for everyday use). I had never known that there was enough of a difference that people would care one way or another!

Butt-Or-Kreme?

They put cheese on cheeseburgers now? I thought is was yellow chemical waste.

Sooner or later, that’s exactly what’s going to happen. Twice, at two different Subways, I’ve ordered a Veggie Delight (or Delite, as they probably call it) with jalapeños, and received a bun with nothing on it but the jalapeños. And both times, when I went back to get it replaced, they acted as if I was the idiot.

Well, if you’re standing there and staring at the bun while they only put jalepenos on it, pay for it, and walk away, then come back later… I can see where they’d get that impression.

If I asked for butter and got margarine, I would ask them for my money back. If they refused, I would stuff in the guy’s face and walk out.

We don’t keep margarine in the house. We also don’t use much butter, not that I wouldn’t if I could. Love the stuff.

Dunkin Donuts also uses margarine when you’ve asked for butter.

Related pet peeve: I hate Miracle Whip. It is not mayonnaise, it is salad dressing. It says so right on the jar. I hate it when I get a sandwich, ask if they use real mayonnaise, and then bite into it to find out it’s Miracle Whip.

My grandmother makes fruit salad with that creepy red-lidded Miracle Whip stuff that claims to be salad dressing. She uses it and Cool Whip interchangeably - keeps you on your toes at Sunday dinner.

Growing up we rarely had butter in the house…too expensive, my mom felt…but butter was used as a generic term for margarine or soft spreads. We only baked with margarine, too…because back then, sticks of margarine were really margarine, and gave decent results. Nowadays you have to search for real margarine sticks…most are a blend product that does not bake well. Even good old Parkay comes in different formulas, and you have to hunt for the real margarine one. Now we use only butter for baking, and diet spreads for toast…well, Mom uses the diet spread. I really, really want a butter bell so I can keep butter nice and soft on the counter for spreading, but the prices are just too high.

Good gad. You have my most heart felt condolences, Sir.

Heh. That was the first thing I thought of, too.

I don’t expect real food from IHOP, but so many other restaurants—restaurants that I would expect to be higher quality—just have that fake crap anymore. I don’t even care if they want to charge me extra for it. Just keep a bottle of maple syrup in the back so that the few remaining customers with taste can get it.

Heh. I feel the same way about that crap KFC serves you now if you ask for honey for your biscuits! To me, buttermilk biscuits with (real!) butter and honey are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. :wink:
These days, since honey prices have sky-rocketed, they serve this “Honey-Flavored Spread” crap! Listen, KFC, when I ask for honey, please tell me that since the prices have gone up, you’re now forced to charge 10c a packet for the stuff. But give me real honey, or tell me you don’t have it anymore!

I support this rant - I am watching my calories like a hawk, and while I might make room in my day’s allowance for real butter, I would much prefer a dry sandwich to one with margarine. If you say butter and you mean margarine, say margarine so I have the option of saying, “No, thanks.”

The maple syrup debate doesn’t bother me since I never expect real maple syrup outside of my own home. :slight_smile:

I notice fast food places don’t ask, but at a sit down resturant if I ask for a Coke, and they have Pepsi, the waiter/waitress will say “We have Pepsi?” as if to say “Is this OK?”

So perhaps the fast food type places just assume