When did "butter" become a synonym for "margarine"?

It is illegal to sell Pepsi under the brand name coca-cola.

I think that may be punishable by law around here. Yep, it’s extra but they’ll ask “real maple syrup?” when taking the order.

I’m pretty sure he’s one of the owners. My theory is he’s trying to save money, so he uses the cheap stuff unless somebody specifically asks for real butter.

And the place is across the street from my place, like literally steps away from my front door, and there’s noplace else very nearby, that’s why I keep going back. And the bagels are good, I do know the difference. One time I went to a place several blocks away, and got a sesame bagel with actual butter, but the bagel was one of those kind that comes six to a sleeve at the supermarket. And they have a huge sign outside that says “Bagels”, like their bagels are something to be proud of.

A couple of people mentioned Miracle Whip. I don’t eat much mayonnaise, but I have literally never tasted Miracle Whip. I don’t even know what it is. Is it supposed to be a substitute for mayonnaise?

Maple syrup is great, but I don’t keep it in because it’s so rare I ever eat pancakes.

Wow, this must’ve happened a while ago… Or is this one of the only McD’s without a fountain where you can get your own drinks? (I assume you were eating in, given your three attempts).

Oh, and completely agreed on the hamburger/cheeseburger thing. This annoyed me greatly as early as '93. I think part of the reason is that so many burgers have cheese as the default (i.e. there is no Double Hamburger at BK).

My experiences here have been probably 75% “Give you whatever cola they have on tap” and 25% “We only have Pepsi, is that OK?”

I started a thread on this a while back, and while lots of people came in and said they’d knock back their non-preferred brand, my own experiences in hospitality are that most people either really don’t care or can’t tell the difference anyway. So if someone said “Can I have a Coke please?” then we’d just give them whatever came out of the tap, and I don’t recall anyone, ever, complaining about it, not drinking it, or anything like that.

Is it possible that, in The Real World (and not SDMB-land), most people really don’t care either way whether they have butter or marge or olive spread on their sandwich, and thus businesses have given up asking specifically?

Whereas today I ordered a burger (NO CHEESE!) with no ketchup and somehow that translated into “burger no cheese and ONLY ketchup”!

:smack:

It’s days like this that makes me wish I wasn’t allergic to ketchup so I could just grit my teeth and choke it down, but it’s not a matter of taste, it’s a matter of avoiding a trip to the ER.

I reckon the folks who sell the fake stuff don’t care. I didn’t know the difference between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip until I was in my 20’s and dating a woman with taste. :slight_smile:

What is your allergy?

Whether or not it is supposed to be a mayonnaise substitute it is used as such by some people.

It is a similar (but not identical) texture, sweeter, and less rich. Some find it cloyingly sweet.

I was raised on mayonnaise and prefer it, although I can stomach Miracle Whip well enough to politely consume food made with it when socially appropriate. My husband was raised with Miracle Whip, and prefers it to mayonnaise though, again, he will tolerate mayonnaise in small amounts.

I don’t go in McDonald’s a lot (OK I go in one every day, but it’s just the one place), but it seems like about half have the refill station and half you get it at the counter. The one I go to for breakfast doesn’t have the fountain, but if you go to the front they’ll refill it for you.

Butter? Bagels? Mayo? Food discussions generally live in Cafe Society. See ya there.

Our Fred Meyer (which is owned by Kroeger) had a knock-off of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!” called, and I’m not making this up, “Butter, It’s Not.”

(Say it fast.)

I have never bought margarine in my life. I can tell the difference from one glance if I’m served margarine in a restaurant, and I’ll never return. I can tell if a cake or cookies or whatever has been cooked with margarine instead of butter.

Anyone who thinks they’re interchangeable is not human.

I don’t think it’s a question of considering them “interchangeable” so much as “not really caring if their preferred variety is unavailable.”

I prefer Coca-cola, but I’m not going to knock back Pepsi if that’s what’s on offer; I think most people (except SDMB members) are the same in these sort of situations.

“knock back” = drink

Eh, I don’t know that I’d say “most” people, but I think there are quite a few people who don’t care, and even more that care about some things but not others. I personally have a great preference for real butter over margarine. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I wouldn’t return to a restaurant that only has margarine, it depends on the restaurant. If I’m spending $30-$40.00 on dinner, you bet your ass I expect real butter. But if I’m in Bob Evans? Well, hell, it’s Bob freakin’ Evans. What did I expect?
I don’t care if the pancake syrup at IHOP isn’t real maple syrup. I don’t care if it’s Diet Coke instead of Diet Pepsi (or vice versa). I don’t care if I get neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese, though I slightly prefer cream cheese and is what I buy for home. I do care if my coffee creamer is a real dairy product. It could be heavy cream, light cream, half and half, or even just whole milk. But the powdered stuff is vile, and is an abomination unto the Lord.

So my guess would be that most people don’t care that much about most things. But I also think most people have at least one or two things they’re sticklers about. It would be nice if, when I ask for butter at a restaurant, the waiter was thoughtful enough to say “Well, we only have whipped buttery spread; I hope that’s OK”, so I know what I’m getting into.

Just my 2 pennies, of course, and not worth more than that.

Hey, I remember Butter It’s Not! I had a friend in high school whose parents only bought knockoffs of knockoffs, but Butter It’s Not was always the most hilarious. Good ol’ Freddie’s.

You can blame my mom. Never had actual butter in the house, ever. When we go over for one of the Big Dreaded Holiday Meals, we just bring along a stick of actual butter, along with our beer and wine and an edible dessert.

Never really had butter as a child. Find the stuff far too inconvenient to use on bread, since it has to be room temperature to spread without great effort but shouldn’t be STORED at room temperature lest it become unpleasant. Anything that requires multiple hours of advance planning in order to spread on my toast is too much work. PLUS, the butter I keep on hand is generally for baking (because I don’t mess around when I bake) and therefore unsalted. I find unsalted butter uninteresting as a spread.

I will reluctantly accept pepsi, and have no problems with fake maple syrup. I have far, far better food battles to fight than these.

Look at the package of your favorite spread.

What you are calling margarine is not margarine.

Blue Bonnet is not margarine (nor butter), but “vegetable oil spread”.

Alot of recipes call for butter or margarine, but if you use the “vegetable oil spreads” instead, many times the recipe will fail. These spreads contain a large percentage of water and throw the chemistry of the recipe off–butter and margarine are mostly pure fat.

Back when I had my first job in a small grocery store in the 1970’s, I learned about the “Butter Laws”. As Pennsylvania is a big dairy state, there were laws about the sale of margarine vs. butter. Some of them had expired by then, but many were still in effect at that time. These laws were written to make the sale of butter easy and to make the sale of margarine harder.

For example:

1. Yellow margarine was not allowed to be sold. It was sold in its natural color, white, along with a capsule containing yellow dye. You kneaded the dye into the margarine to turn it yellow.

2. Margarine could not be sold in any lesser weight than one pound. Butter could be sold in 1/4 sticks, 1/2 lb packages, etc. I have seen bulk butter sold in Amish markets, margarine had to be sold in pre-weighed packages.

Some of these laws are still on the books in Missouri http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=162673

My parents use Country Crock for all their cooking in place of where actual butter should be used. It’s scary, and I definitely don’t think that stuff was intended to be cooked and have food fried in it.