When did cinemas start charging for individual showings?

My mother, in the 40’s, talked about sitting in the front row of a theater three times in a row, to see a movie(Song of the Islands, with Victor Mature.) I started watching movies in the theater in the 60’s and it was one ticket, one movie.

So you exchanged feeling bored with feeling depressed?

Actually, it’s a good film but if Prozac had been around in 1969, you would’ve need a whole bag full to keep yourself from wanting to slit your wrists at the movie’s end. At least with leaving during the middle, you leave before things really go to hell for the characters. Granted, you knew how things were going to turn out but at least you left the theater on a less down point in the movie.

Anyway, where I live I recall the charging for individual showings policy for theaters became the rule sometime during the 80’s.

The day after Star Wars opened in Boston, I stayed to see it two times. No one threw me out.

So there may have been “timed” shows by the 1960s, but it wasn’t enfoced very well until the 1980s, even in major cities, if my experience is typical. Heck, at small theaters I was still able to stay through multiple shows into the 80s.

(I grew up watching films more than once in the 1960s)

Really? Because I read that they were called that when they were last in the rotation, thereby “trailing” the show. The idea, I was told, was that they were the last crumb thrown to people who didn’t want to leave when it was a one-show setup.

And that gives rise to another question: When did previews start being shown at the start of the screening? Because my parents were cheapskates, I didn’t go to a first-run theater until 1984*, and that’s where I saw my first trailers/previews.

And for that matter, previews, from what I’ve seen, didn’t used to be much to get excited about. Mr. Rilch has a laserdisc of Close Encounters, which includes the original trailer, and it is dry as dust. The first time I remember people being blown away by a trailer was Batman, in 1989. Granted, that was a highly anticipated film to begin with, but the trailer was outstanding. So when did that change?

*Not. Even. For Star Wars. :mad:

Gfactor answers all your questions

What? You don’t read the columns?

No, actually I don’t! Thanks for the link!

I remember being taken to a small theater in Bell, CA by my aunt. We came in about 1/3 into “The Blue Lagoon,” watched all of “Endless Love,” and left when the part of “The Blue Lagoon” where we came in started. I was 10, and learned a lot that night. :cool: My poor aunt didn’t know what she was in for.

In the mid-70s I can remember plenty of times where the parents would drop 3 or 4 of us kids off at a cinema for most of the day. We just sat in one theater and watched the same movie 2 or 3 times. No one kicked us out and it seemed like SOP.

I can remember watching The Island at the Top of the World; The Retrun of the Pink Panther; The Pink Panther Strikes Again; Young Frankenstein; one of those Herbie the Love Bug movies and one of the Apple Dumpling Gang flicks; and Smokey and the Bandit like this.

I have a friend who started editing trailers in 1989, and he still does it today. He has no desire to get into “real” editing. He points out that it’s a lot different from regular editing, and gets more respect now than it did 20 years ago.

The only movie I remember seeing this way was Swiss Family Robinson. We got there in the middle of the storm. Having just looked it up on IMDb I can’t believe it was 1960. I was four years old, but I remember it pretty clearly. Maybe that’s why. It was a pretty big deal for me. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you whether the other movies I remember from my childhood ran that way, because apparently we got there on time. Although either The Incredible Journey or 101 Dalmatians had The Legend of Sleepy Hollow as a starting cartoon.