When do you not need to say "please"?

I believe Americans forms just say “over”, while British ones say “please turn over” or “PTO”. I don’t mind excessive politeness, it’s better than excessive rudeness, after all.

FTR: Bigelow is an American country, not a British one – thus compounding the pretentiousness at least tenfold.

Darned corporations thinking they are countries now :wink:

Ummmmm… so when I preview, I should actually read the post and not just check that the link works? jots note

“Tear here, dammit”
yeah I wouldnt open that teabag.

Nooooo that would be awesome, we could market a whole line of them! “Cruel-tea”, or something. Instead of insipid “inspiring” quotes they’d have demotivational messages and insults.

I am intrigued by your ideas, and would appreciate a prospectus. Please. :smiley:

Robin

I don’t mind if tea bags are polite. But technically speaking that “Tear Here” are directions and not a request, so I find the “Please” a bit odd. Kinda like "Please Lather, rinse, repeat. " Or “Please Bring Water to a boil. Add noodles.”

Thank you. ( :wink: ) That’s exactly right.

Well, I’m a big Shakespeare fan… how bout some “Thou infectious scurvy-valiant malt-wormwood” tea? Or maybe a cuppa “Thou lily-livered boysenberry”? Maybe the Bard himself would have liked “Farewell, sourCherry annoy!” or “Rogue fit for horehounds candy”?
Wow, on preview, those really aren’t that good.

I’m with twickster: “please” should be in requests, but not in instructions. “Please drink responsibly” is a request, “Place trash here” is an instruction.

And it should be “Place trash here”, not “Keep park clean” or “For your convenience and others’ enjoyment, place trash here” or any other beating around the bush. It’s an instruction; be clear and get to the point.

I’ve noticed the instructions on reply envelopes have gotten more and more useless over the years. When I was a kid they all said “Place stamp here” or even “PLACE STAMP HERE”, with or without a please. Nowadays they may say “Please affix proper postage” or worse, just offer an observation: “Postage required” or most commonly, “Post Office will not deliver mail without proper postage”. Which is like a traffic sign saying “Police will issue tickets if speed exceeds 55 miles an hour”.

Not that I’m obsessing on this or anything – but this morning I had some Twinings Earl Grey, which is British – By Appointment to Her Majesty and all that.

They don’t give any instructions at all on opening the pouch, let alone append extraneous “pleases.”

You won’t say “please”, but you will say, “sorry”? :slight_smile: