When Good Cooks Go Bad: Wiener Gravy and Other Disasters

First, let me say that my mom is a good cook. The thread title made me think of another story, though.

My mom always makes gravy to go with turkey at Thanksgiving. About 3 years ago, my nephew was in the kitchen while my mom was cooking. (He would have been 21 at the time.)

My mom used the bag o’ stuff out of the turkey to make the gravy. When my nephew saw the turkey neck go in the pot, he freaked out! “Was that the turkey’s wee-wee?!” My mom looked him right in the eye and said, “yup!”

Now, he won’t even look at the gravy at Thanksgiving, because no one ever bothered to tell him it was just a turkey neck. (And I’m sure he probably posts on a message board about how his grandma makes gravy with “turkey wee-wees!”) :smiley:

While not the most disgusting thing in this thread, my best friend makes bologna gravy. It’s really the only thing she can cook well–if you can even say that about bologna gravy.

She thinks she makes great spaghetti and meatballs. She could not be more wrong. She doesn’t own any spices (except salt and pepper), uses plain canned tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce with flavors added) and to top it off, she does not own a colander so she just boils the spaghetti until almost all of the water is gone and then dumps the sauce and the very much undercooked meatballs in the pot. This results in a rather watery, flavorless raw meat and mush extravaganza. But she thinks parmesan cheese fixes everything.

Here’s some stomach upsetting hot dog recipes for y’all:
Yummy Popcycle Hotdogs.
“Insert the wooden stick 1/2 way up the dog” [sub]Ummmm…yuck.[/sub]
Peanut Dogs
“Serve, if there are kids present, get out of the way quick!”[sub]As the children run for their LIVES?[/sub]

Hey, christmas gift idea!

My grandmother read an article about how sugar was bad for you, so she stopped using it. In anything. She didn’t use any substitutes either. You should have tasted her rhubarb pie! We had to eat some to be polite, but yeeesh. She gave us a few pies every year.

I learned to cook as an adult, and made my share of kitchen debacles. One of my most memorable was some slow cooked venison ribs on the grill when my in laws came to visit. Those ribs were like carbon flavored kevlar. Mmmm…

I’ve enjoyed wiener gravy on many occasions.:o

When my parents were newlyweds, my dad asked my mum to make fried rice, which was considered “exotic” in their tiny town. She wasn’t sure about it, but he reassured her that it was easy-- just fry up some rice with veggies, eggs, and spices.

She didn’t think it turned out well, by my dad was enough of a gentleman to eat everything on his plate before he advised her to steam the rice first, next time. Crunch, crunch.

The worst thing I ever did was a failed split-pea soup. It had been cooking for a couple of hours, and should have been ready, but still looked too watery. To try and improve it, I added a handful of rice, turned the stove off, and went out for the evening, thinking that the rice would simply absorb some of the excess water. What I didn’t count on was the freaking micro-organisms that lived on the rice-- you gotta boil that stuff-- after a few hours, I came home and took the lid off the pot and was almost knocked over-- it smelled exactly like a big potful of puke. Live and learn.

(Maybe I have a genetic predisposition to fail to boil rice, now that I think of it…)

My mom made the worlds worst fudge. The dog would run away from it. It was boiled for a few hours over high heat and then was poured out onto a plate. The plate always ended up in the freezer because the fudge would never set. The fudge she made was really chock full of sugar crystals held together with some kind of grease. She would never put in nuts but it always had clumps of coagulated grease spread throughout that looked like nuts to the uninitiated. We told her for years that she didn’t have to go to all that trouble, we could buy fudge down at the candy shop. She told us she didn’t want to cheat us our of her own fudge recipe. That plate of fudge never lasted very long. As soon as her back was turned my dad, brother and I were cutting out chunks and wrapping them in paper towels before we threw them in the trash.

This one insn’t so much about a bad food as a hillarious name.

I had a friend that used to always cook hotdogs by frying them in a skillet on a bed of onions and worcestershire sauce.

THe name of this masterpiece: A Greenville Tube-Steak.

Guybud, Mr. Tube-Steak is ubiquitous up here. Love that logo.

Did you know that some of the wild turkeys the Pilgrims hunted for the first Thanksgiving were between fifty and sixty pounds? That amazed me when I read it; I didn’t think North America had edible fowl that big south of Sesame Street. Even the domesticated kind you buy at the grocery can get up to thirty pounds. This is why, in late November and early December, so many meals across this great land are made up of a local dish called “holiday leftovers”, whose main ingredient is turkey.

My friend Troll thought about that, and he wondered why nobody ever cooked turkey except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Troll liked turkey just fine, and he suspected that between himself and his two roommates, twenty bucks would buy enough turkey to feed everyone for a couple of weeks – but not long enough for everyone to get sick of it. I was one of those roommates, and listened to him wax eloquent about it. Troll’s girlfriend Bubbles happened to be in the room, and advised against it; her mom had made turkey every Thanksgiving for years, and she had seen it to be a humongous undertaking.

The Troll disagreed. “It’s not that big a thing,” he said, “if the Pilgrims could do it without Teflon and microwaves. Your mom just thinks it’s a big thing because she has to cook, serve, and clean up after two dozen people every November.” With that, Troll promptly went out and bought a turkey. I don’t remember what season it was, but it was definitely not the holidays – I’m fairly sure it was, in fact, midsummer or so. Still, the stores had turkeys for sale.

When he got home with the bird, he promptly yelled for me. “How do we cook it?” he asked.

“Um,” I replied. “How much does it weigh?”

Troll grinned. “Thirty pounds.”

I stared at him for a minute. “Thirty pounds?”

“Biggest one I could find,” he grinned. “Hey, I’m hungry!”

“Jesus Christ in a Bunny Suit… not too hungry, I hope,” I said. “A turkey takes a long time to cook – especially a big one.”

Troll’s face fell. “How long?”

“For a family-size bird, about three, four hours,” I said. “This one looks more like a baby ostrich. You’re looking at, like, five or six hours in the oven.”

Troll frowned. “Well, fine. We’ll do it tomorrow, then.”

“Suits me,” I said.

The next morning, Troll asked over breakfast how soon I thought we should start the turkey. “Do you have a roasting pan?” I responded.

Troll looked at me funny. “Roasting pan?”

“You know,” I said. “It’s a big sort of bathtub-shaped pot you put the turkey in, about four or five inches deep–”

“Can’t we just, like, wrap it in foil or something?”

“Not unless you want to start a fire,” I said, pointing at the bird. “Rodan, here, is full of ice and bird fat. Roasting him is going to make him sweat it all out, big-time. Unless you feel like putting out the fire, throwing the turkey away, and cleaning the oven, you want a roasting pan.”

Troll responded with his favorite four-letter word, got his hat, and stormed out the door. He returned a while later with a disposable aluminum turkey pan and a folding roasting rack. “Will this do?” he growled.

“Did you check it for holes?” I asked. His eyes bugged a little; before he could say anything, I said, “Put it under the faucet and run a few inches of water in it. If it doesn’t drip, it’ll work.” A gallon or so of water later, we found that the pan was unperforated. Smiling again, Troll went and got the turkey out of the fridge, to put it in the pan.

“Wait a minute,” I said. “No way is that thing thawed yet.”

“Huh?” said Troll. “It’s been sitting in the fridge since yesterday afternoon!”

“Yeah, but that’s a lot of bird. I’d leave it in the fridge another day or so.”

“Dammit, Doc, if you’d just said something, I’d have left it in the sink–”

“–and given us all salmonella poisoning,” I finished. “Better to let it thaw in the fridge.”

Troll scowled, then cooled. “All right,” he said. “We’ll cook it tomorrow.” He then glanced up at me and said, “We will cook it tomorrow, right? No more thawing, no more pans, no Sacred Turkey Dance, or anything?”

“Not a reason in the world we can’t have that bird for supper tomorrow,” I replied.

The next day, I made the mistake of asking if Troll had a meat thermometer.

Fortunately, I was able to tell him that we didn’t exactly need to have one before he caught me.

When he’d cooled off, we set up the roasting rack in the pan, set the turkey on it, fired up the oven, stuck it in, and settled down to wait.

“How long?” Troll asked.

“Between seven and eight hours.”

“Wow,” he said, lighting a cigarette. “Is there anything we need to do between now and then?”

“Well,” I said, “You’ll need to baste it.”

“Baste?” he said, mystified.

“Every half hour or so, you open the oven door, dish up some of the juice in the pan, and pour it back over and around the turkey. Keeps the meat juicy. Ever had turkey that was too dry?”

“Oh, okay,” he said, puffing on his cigarette. “Sounds like a plan. What do you say we make an event of it?”

“Mmm?”

“Well, there’s you, me, and Bobo. I can call Bubbles over, and Crazy Jane, and …”

Before long, the place was full of people. Well, not full – no more than seven, I’m sure. Still, we were all there, and before long Bobo broke out the cards, and soon the Thanksgiving In July was in full swing. At length, I retired to my room to study.

Until the smoke alarm went off.

I jumped; until then, I wasn’t even aware that we had a smoke alarm. All three of us were smokers, and between Bobo’s cigars and the pipe I sometimes smoked, the place had often been sort of opium-den’ish. Or at least I thought so until I opened the bedroom door.

I couldn’t see anything! It was as if someone had built a wall right outside my bedroom door – a wall covered with dirty gray cotton. The only thing missing was a subtitle reading LONDON 1898. I could still hear the thin electronic squeal of the smoke alarm, though. In the distance, I saw movement, and heard a woman shout.

“Hey!” I yelled, my voice a little shaky. “Is the house on fire, or did Troll do something weird with the turkey?”

From off in the distance, I heard the oven door clang open, followed by Troll’s favorite four-letter word. I took this as a sign of relative safety, and strolled into the foggy evening. From the living room, I heard Bobo call my name.

“Yeah?” I replied.

“Doc! Dammit! I’m getting the front door! Dammit! Troll’s putting out the bird! Dammit! You get the *#&%@ smoke alarm an’ make it shut up!”

I tried, and collided with one of our guests. Together, we followed the sound to its source. Working together, we managed to climb up, yank the thing off the wall, fail to figure out how to turn it off or yank the battery, and finally, we beat it to death with a baseball bat and a golf club. As we did so, the air cleared, which helped us to see the thing as we took turns whacking it.

And, at the end, the turkey remained edible. It turned out Troll had gotten tired of basting it, and in order to save time, he’d pulled the bird out, removed the roasting rack, and set the turkey down directly in the pan, partially immersed in its own juices. “That way,” he thought, “it’ll baste itself while we play cards.”

I explained to him while we ate that this would have made turkey soup, not roast turkey – and what started the fire?

“No fire,” he said with his mouth full. Swallowing, he continued, “I accidentally poked a little bitty hole in the pan when I put the turkey back in it. It started a slow drip going, and when the puddle reached the heating element in the bottom of the oven, it started to burn. No fire, just lots of smoke.”

“Incidentally saving the turkey from a soggy grave,” I added.

“Nice smoky flavor, too,” chuckled Bobo. “I have to admit, this is pretty good. What did you stuff it with?”

“Huh?” said Troll.

“What did you make the stuffing with?” I rephrased.

“Huh?” said Troll.

“The stuffing, dipstick, the stuffing!” laughed Bobo. “What-did-you-stuff-the-turkey-with?”

“Oh,” said Troll. “I didn’t have to stuff it. It wasn’t empty.”

While I can’t beat Wang-Ka’s hilarious story, I do have a couple of bad cook incidents. One was me. I was trying to make eggrolls, only I ground everything so fine that it looked like this hideous purple mush. The other was my husband. He tried to make fish stew. He thought some okra would be nice in there. You know what okra does when it gets overcooked? It gets slimy. We still joke about that slimy fish stew.

I’m omnivorous (with the sole exception of chicken liver) and love trying new foods. Moreover, my Depression-era parents inculcated me with a deep respect for food as nurturance, and the rigid demands of hospitality. Which is a highfalutin’ way of saying that simply being offered food is a gift to be respected.

That said, one (dear) friend was simply a dire cook. Some people have a tin ear; she had a tin mouth. She wasn’t anorexic but just plain didn’t give a whoop about food. It was all just interchangeable fuel. But she had a generous heart and good will so she tried to make stuff for friends, just hadn’t the faintest clue how.

Her worst: frozen chicken breasts, nuked for about 2 minutes then topped with 1 small packet of Italian salad dressing that came with a salad she’d bought years ago and hadn’t eaten. The meat was rubbery white for 1/4" on the outside, bloody ice crystals on the inside, and sweating in pools of hot, rancid dressing.

Now, chix breasts w/ assorted quickie flavorings can be damned good eatin’, if done right. She had the theory down right, but execution doesn’t begin to describe the results. Fortunately, she cheerfully offered to make some popcorn when nobody could do more than pick, horrified, at the chicken.

Veb

summarizing my wife’s misadventures in the kitchen and I was going to call it My Wife’s Cookies: A Recipe for Disaster. Pun intended. It’s probably better this way. :wink:

Mrs. JohnT doesn’t cook. Her idea of a complex meal is one where she has to co-ordinate the cooking of peas in the microwave with the cooking of pasta on the stove so we can feed the baby - Mommy eats a bunch of frozen dinners and Daddy fends for himself. Many of the local restaraunts know us by name.

My wife was invited to a cookie exchange party, where she was supposed to bake some cookies and bring some dough so more can be baked at the party. Mrs. JohnT has NEVER attempted anything as complicated as cookies before - why, her one attempt to grill some cheese sandwiches had 3 severe, “you-can’t-cook-it-this-way” flaws alone!

Party is at 11:00am. Supplies are bought and laid out Friday afternoon, recipe is from the 'net, hand-written because the printer is broken. JohnT comes home from work, volunteers to help wife bake cookies that evening: she refuses. Uh-oh, I can see the signs already - this is going to be some big life-struggle that will either end in sobbing or, if things work out, relieved tension.

So, I retire to the living room, spending the next couple of hours with Sophie. No progress is made on cookies. Sophie is put to bed (8:00pm), parents retire to bedroom to watch TV, no progress is made on cookies.

Saturday morning arrives and I get up around 7:30 to take care of Little Miss so Mommy can get ready for the party and bake her cookies. I see that Mrs. JohnT is hungry, so I offer to go to BK and pick up some croissan’wiches/Cini-mini’s, which she gratefully accepted. So baby and I make an 8:30 trip to BK while my wife starts on her cookies. And the disaster begins

Now, apparently, the recipe required shortening (Crisco). My wife, in her concern for living the healthy life, decided that shortening would be too fattening to put in her cookies so she wasn’t going to have any in hers. Mistake #1. As you can imagine, the mixture wasn’t doing too well, especially coupled with mistake #2:

We have electric beaters and a couple of mixing bowls. Mrs. JohnT somehow thought that mixing it by hand would be easier and faster. I have no idea where she got this idea, but have it she did. Worse, she had the batter in a couple of measuring cups, trying to stir in them, which was really mistake #3 because…

Did I mention that Mrs. JohnT has a bit of the OCD, especially regarding cleanliness and germs? Imagine her joy when clumps, big and small, of a mixture of sugar, raw eggs, butter, milk, and flour starting flying around the kitchen when she begins mixing. Then, of course, the dogs have to get in the act by eating what’s landing on the floor, so they get banished to the bedroom. She then tries to mix, but it is no good: something is not right with the batter - she knows this. So she tries harder, getting more frustrated.

This is what I came home to when I returned from BK 20 minutes later: my poor wife in tears, torn between cleaning the kitchen and making the cookie dough, the dogs in jail for the mere crime of being dogs, the baby BANNED from a 1/3rd of the house (it’s a small one-story detached home), and the clock ticking, ticking until the party, with her still needing a shower etc.

So I put the baby in her playpen, much to her displeasure, calmed down Mrs. JohnT while helping to clean up the kitchen (which wasn’t really all that dirty, I mean, my God, our house is always neater and more organized than those we visit). I got on the phone, looking at the Yellow Book for bakeries and started calling those around us. Gotcha! A bakery that sells Christmas cookies by the dozen, and not only that, they’ll go ahead and sell some dough/sprinkles for another 24 cookies.

We got a tupperware bowl for the dough, and she was ready to get ready for the party. She gave me a hug and thanked me and asked what was wrong with the dough. I said, “I don’t know, but you shouldn’t have waited until the last minute to do something you’ve never done before.”

My late mother’s German dishes were excellent, but she never learned to make cornbread. I think she must have left out whatever it is that makes it moist, because We needed lots of iced tea to wash the stuff down.

Even the dogs turned up their noses at it, and wouldn’t eat it until they knew they weren’t getting anything else any better from our table.

Once I went out in the yard and looked into one of the dog’s dishes which contained some cornbread. It was raining and the rainwater was beading up on the cornbread! My dad and I had a good laugh over it!

Quasi

My grandmother is a notoriously bad cook. Her worst dish? Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. She knows I like cheese, so she added some more shredded cheese, just for me. Only she added it to the boiling water, and proceded as directed. It was very crunchy.

There was the night I came home drunk and decided to cook up a packed lunch for work the next day. Umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum) sauce fried rice sounded really good at the time…

Wang-Ka is the absolute, hands-down winner. Great story.

My mother’s mother died when my mother was sixteen, leaving my mother to cook for her father and brother. During her learning cycle, she ran across a recipe for coffee pie, which called for three cups of coffee. Being somewhat literal minded, she ground coffee beans until she had the required three cups of coffee, which she used to make the pie. Her father and brother talked about it until their respective deaths.

The first thing I ever cooked all by myself was bacon, for a BLT. I couldn’t locate any grease/oil/lard to cook the bacon in, so I melted butter and cooked the bacon in that. Only bacon I ever had that slid down.

An old housemate of mine, who was generally a pretty good cook, once tried to make pea soup from scratch. She used dried whole (not split) peas, which did not soften no matter how long she cooked them.

Mmm… pale green pebble soup!

EXPERIMENTAL QUESO

(Queso: Spanish: Means cheese. Tex-Mex: Means Chile Con Queso, or Cheese Dip with Salsa In It)

I used to have a roommate back in the dorms who ate five meals a day, triple portions, and was skinny as a rail. No kidding. This guy would get hungry at ten o’clock at night and want to go eat at Pic-A-Taco, and want me to come along – he hated eating alone – and he’d order the Muy-Macho-Caballero Plate and I’d sit and eat free chips and his little bowl of chili con queso, which for all you north Texans out there, means chilies with cheese, or for all you Yankees out there, means cheese dip with salsa in it.

It occurs to me that perhaps Yankees are unacquainted with the concept of “free chips”. In many restaurants, the waiter makes a habit of bringing you a glass of water you didn’t order and don’t intend to drink, right? Well, in Texas, in all the better Mexican restaurants, they do this as well… but they also bring you a basket of tortilla chips and a bowl of salsa to nosh on while you wait for the food you DID order… like in Alabama, or Mississippi, where if you go in a restaurant and order anything before noon, they’ll bring you a glass of water and a bowl of grits (that you didn’t order). It’s a touch I’ve always liked, and when I first ventured north of Dallas, I was disappointed to find that the custom wasn’t universal…

Anyway, I developed a real taste for queso, and one day in the dorms, I thought it would be great to have some chips and queso for dinner. I went to the grocery store -- the chips were easy enough to find, but there didn't seem to be any queso. When I asked a clerk, he told me where to find the Velveeta. 

I grew up with individually wrapped American Cheese slices, and had no idea what to do with Velveeta bricks. For lack of any other ideas, I bought one and took it back to my room. My roommate liked chips and queso too, but he had no more idea than I did how to turn a brick of Velveeta into a hot bowl of queso.

Turns out we would've been better off spending the money at a restaurant. Dinner that night was chips alone, spread with what remained of the Velveeta. For several years after that, when the whim struck me and I had some coins in my pocket, I'd try to make queso. I finally hit on a recipe that worked in late '86. I'd also learned some things you shouldn't do while trying to make queso.

!!! Don't drop the Velveeta brick or any portions thereof into a deep fryer -- getting them back out, much less into the bowl, is something of a chore. We did, however, independently discover how to make fried cheese sticks this way, by dipping the Velveeta chunks in batter before tossing into the fryer.

!!! Use of a pressure cooker will not get you queso, though it will provide a rather interestingly-flavored cheese soup. Add chopped broccoli for a totally different recipe.

!!! Queso is difficult, if not impossible, to make over a fire. Fire is usually a pretty reliable sign that you're doing something wrong.

!!! Do not in any way involve a microwave oven. While experimenting with generic cheese -- artificial Velveeta, if you will -- a block of the stuff detonated after nine minutes on the HIGH setting with enough force to tear the door off the microwave. Furthermore, generic 'Veeta often gets hard instead of melting; from then until the day we moved out, there was cheese shrapnel embedded in the wall across the kitchen from the microwave.

!!! Know your jalapenos. Some are mild and sweet, some are hot and tangy, and some can corrode the paint off a battleship with their odor alone.

Required:

small saucepan

1/2 cup water or milk

1 or 1-1/2 cup picante sauce, thick and chunky, mild to spicy, depending on your taste

1/2 brick Velveeta or a whole brick if you're using one of the little bricks -- DO NOT use the generic or off-brand kind, as these sometimes get hard or clump together when you heat them, and they sometimes don't make smooth queso. Fat Free Velveeta works fine, and the Nacho Cheese flavor adds a zesty note, if you like it. Cheez Whiz will work, but is considerably more expensive...

plain tortilla chips (the Lime & Chile flavor are good, too)

OPTIONAL: 1 can of chili, chili with beans, or chili hot dog sauce. 

OPTIONAL: 1 lb. ground beef, browned

(IF YOU DON'T HAVE PICANTE, you'll need an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup each of diced tomatoes, onions, and green chiles of some kind -- jalapenos will do, if you like it hot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 min. It isn't picante, but it'll make your queso taste about right. I generally use Pace Thick & Chunky, myself.)

Put the stove on low heat and put the picante or picante-mix, whatever you're using, in the pan with the milk or water. If you're using milk, stir it from time to time and be sure it doesn't scorch. 

While it heats up, run the cheese thru the grater or chop it into coarse little chunks. When the stuff in the pot gets pretty hot, start adding the cheese, a handful at a time. Stir it in until it melts away. Add more cheese. Stir. Keep doing this until you run out of cheese or it’s the right color and consistency – bright pale orange, and almost so thick you can’t pour it. If you add chili, do that now. If you add meat, brown it and crumble it into taco meat first, then add as the queso gets creamy. Adding meat and/or chili turns it from a snack or side dish into a real meal.

You can reheat the stuff, but be sure to add a little milk or water to the hardened queso before cooking; it burns easily if you don't.

Simple, no?