when my door bell rings, light should stay on

i just got a light installed on top of my door bell, so that when my music is really loud i can see the bulb glow when the door bell rings.

however, the on-time of the bulb is limited to when the door bell switch is depressed, which typically is a very short time, and doesn’t allow for elaborate dance routines, head banging, closing eyes thinking of babe i’ll never get, etc.

what circuit would i need to make the bulb glow for, say, 30 seconds after the door bell was pressed ? and how do i build and install it ?

or is there any standard circuit which i can purchase from an electrician ?

and can such a circuit be made without the use of any timer ic’s etc ?

my voltage ratings are 220-240v AC, 50-60Hz. The bulb is a 0 watt bulb (night light). The bell is a ding-dong type.

hi… i rarely bump a thread… but i know that you guys know the answer… since it’s factual and rather straightforward electronics…

i’m just hoping the right people read it this time…

thanks… and sorry…

You need a time-delay relay circuit, I suspect. Your doorbell probably operates at some small AC voltage, and it sounds like the light is directly wired into this. What you need is a time delay relay that has the relay activation wired to the doorbell, and the normally open circuit of the relay wired from the doorbell transformer on one side, and the light on the other. It’s a relatively simple circuit, you would just need to buy a time delay relay that will activate with the doorbell voltage.

Don’t go messing with your 220VAC circuit – there is a transformer somewhere which steps this voltage down to run the doorbell. An electrician should be able to do this for you, and may very well have a ready-made light that includes the circuitry.

You could also consider replacing the doorbell with a klaxon horn.

BTW, who’s ringing your doorbell? Neighbors complaining about the noise? :wink:

There are off-the-shelf relays which will do this job for you. You want on off-delay timer relay. You may be able to find this part at Radio Shack or some other electrical parts distributor. You should be able to find one with a 220VAC coil input so you won’t need a transformer.

xash. I think you really need to rethink your plan. If you aren’t aware that the voltage to your bell is stepped down (and didn’t bother to check it), you don’t have the background to do this yourself.

Do-it-yourself wiring requires either knowing this stuff or knowing that you need to find out this stuff. Not knowing is real bad.

>> If you aren’t aware that the voltage to your bell is stepped down

While this is common in the USA it is not necessarily so in other countries. But I agree you should know what you are doing before messing with 220V

thank you for your concern, ftg, but i understand the risks of playing with 220v, and i shall take the necessary precautions when handling the circuit.

also, i am aware of the voltage to my bell. and even if i didn’t know, this is where i come to “know”. to learn how to do things that i might not have a background for. to understand things that might be out of my league.

so, for the knowledge that has been imparted to me thus far, mostly for things that i do not have the background for, i thank the SDMB, and you.

now, back to the question…

my bell is taking a 220v input. the light-bulb is also connected to 220v. they are connected in parallel at the same point.

from what you guys say, the bell probably has an internal circuit to step this down (which i wasn’t aware of… but now opening the bell i see that the 220v is going to a small, kind of drum looking thing, that doesn’t seem like a step-down transformer, but it could just be, i’m not sure… from one side of the drum, a piston like thing is protruding, surrounded by coil… when the button is depressed, the piston vibrates, hitting the edge/frame causing the bell to sound)

the light-bulb, however, takes a full 220v input with no step down. therefore, any timer-delay relay circuit that i use, would need to handle a 220v input… or i might have to use a transformer before giving input to the delay circuit (but would the bulb glow with a stepped-down volage?)

You need a 220 volt time delay on de-energize relay. You can probably order one from places like Newark Electronics, Allied Electronics, and similar supply houses. I know they make them with relatively short time delays (like 3 to 10 seconds) but not sure about 30 seconds.

erm, oh yeah the important part… you put the relay coil where the light is now, and you’ll need to feed 220 into the relay contacts and put the light on the switched side of the contacts.

btw, from your description it sounds like the current ringer is just a 220 VAC solenoid.

As e_c_g says;
The power to the contacts has to come from the wire before the button. Otherwise you’ll lose power when the button is released.
Use the normally open (n.o.) contact on your relay.
Peace,
mangeorge

Just get one designed for the deaf. They don’t stay on, they flash & flash & flash. Get a nice light show with your music.
Might be at deafworks.com