When Product Placements Attack

What kind of movies and television shows will we see when the big companies stop trying to be subtle?

Will we see tepid action films like Mission to Mars Bars? Female oriented scifi-action movies like The Playtex? Horror films like Bram Stoker’s Chocula?

Or perhaps we’ll see more artsy film infiltration, like in I Am Curious (Yellow and Blue Make Green Seal). Maybe we’ll be able to tune in and see four older ladies who love to bicker, united by their love of a favorite cereal, on The Golden Grahams.

Too late - we already have I, Robot.

And for the record, it wasn’t that bad, although I deeply resent them using the name.

Right, the product placement for Apple’s new iRobot. :wink:

Stop trying to be subtle?
Look at the TV showsd of the 1950s – the sponsor was right in the Title (Texaco Presents), and often had their logo blazoned on everything. Milton Berle was introduced by a chorus dressed as Texaco gas station attendants. Longines used to have its logo hanging in the background on shows it sponsored.

Cigarette commercials used to have the stars of the show, in character – I Love Lucy adverrtised with Lucy and Ricky. Even The Flinstones show had cigarette ads (!)

Cal, Cal, Cal… - I think I whooshed you, buddy.

This is one of those threads where people are supposed to come in, and suggest their own ‘hopelessly corporatized’ movie and TV titles.

No, have you *seen * the movie? Those damn Converse sneakers were everywhere, and that was only one of the products advertised. It was as far unsubtle as it could possibly be.

Not to mention the name *was * an advertisement. It was specifically meant to draw Asimov fans. Thankfully, I waited a long time to see it and had already hear about it, and thus had very little expectations. For a light robot flick it was pretty cool, but it Was. Not. Asimov. :mad:

The Back To The Future movies were particularly blatant about it, with jarringly obvious product placements for Pepsi, JVC and Nike (probably others too, but those are the three I remember as most striking). That would be an example of how not to do it.

Now, I’d pay money to see that!

At least the wig would be appropriate.

You should have seen the recent Herbie movie. But it makes perfect sense in context. They’re a NASCAR racing team racing the circuit. The logo shots are (literally) everywhere and the lead characters discuss their sponsorship deals with this product or that brand.

And you can’t call them on it.

If you have a movie focused on NASCAR having the product placement leads verite to the picture not distraction.

A truly evil genius at Disney had that thought. I am deeply impressed.

Phaugh!
If you want product placement, get Return of the Killer Tomatoes sttraight and upgfront about it. And it’s got George Clooney.

Mutiny on the Bounty - the quicker picker-upper.
One flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nestle’s Quick
It’s A Wonderful Life Cereal (or boardgame, or magazine…)
Fight Club Soda

As far as product placement we’ve already seen…

In Daredevil, there were three scenes in which people were seen drinking beer. All three times, the beer was Heinekin, with the label clearly visible. The problem was, that all three times it just didn’t make sense.

When we see the young Matt Murdock looking at his drunk father, the pile of empties next to the man is clear enough. But why would a washed up, down-on-his luck, broke has-been like Jack Murdock be buying imported, premium beer?

And when we see Ben Urich drinking a Heini at the Hoi-Polloi society bash, why is he drinking straight from the bottle, instead of one of those fancy stemmed galsses you always get at those parties?

And - my favourite - when we meet Bullseye, he’s in a dark, tough-looking little Irish pub, an ACTUAL Irish pub, in Ireland, where all these tough working class Irish men are drinking… bottles of Heinekin.

I know, bad movie all around. But I thought the beer placement was kind of funny.

thwartme

The product placement in The Island nearly ruined the movie for me (I enjoyed the movie otherwise).

[quick change of topic]The makers of Clonus filed a lawsuit against Dreamworks for The Island.[/qcot]

In a stunning twist, Heather Locklear and Blair Underwood get fired from last year’s hot new drama, prompting the immediate spin-off: Ex-LAX

Pirates of the Royal Caribbean
Return of the Burger King