When "Sorry" Doesn't Do It

I prefer Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

Australia has an unofficial holiday called National Sorry Day that I bet you wouldn’t like.

I truly believe that the majority of time people say “sorry” - maybe even 90% of the time - they don’t really mean it.

Sorry Day doubles as Forgive Day or do they have a separate holiday for forgiving?

Take Refuge In Audacity.

Considering that the apology is for the mistreatment Aborigines suffered, it would be audacious to presume forgiveness.

I do like the idea of a “Forgive Me” day.

Perhaps we ought to have one or two as well then.

Not knowing what this was about, I clicked your link.

It appears Mr White suffered some pretty shitty treatment, but I can find no hint in that Wikipedia entry that he ever had his house burned down.

Either you or Wikipedia should say “sorry.”

There is sorry on a personal level, and everyone agrees there are occasions when they are warranted.

But – a nation being sorry for a policy? This is a whole different kettle of fish, and totally unacceptable in certain conservative circles in America. There has been barrages of criticism directed at President Obama for anything he says that might possibly be construed as an apology for anything America has ever done.

And it’s not exclusive to his actions. There were many objections to the US apologizing to the citizens of Japanese ancestry who were interned during WWII, for instance.

I find the idea that Americans should never apologize for official actions and policies to be both inexplicable and fascinating.

“I’m really sorry I brutally raped, tortured, and murdered your entire family. Was just having one of those days, ya know?”

I think that I’d have to start making some PSAs to the people that he knows. Something on the order of “If you have sex with this guy, make sure he wears a condom, he gave me herpes and he doesn’t really seem to be sorry about it”. But that’s just me and my vindictive streak.

I’m guessing he’s conflated that with the Ray brothers:

Unofficial holiday? I bet the majority of Australians wouldn’t know when it was and certainly don’t take it as a holiday.

I agree. “Unofficial holiday” is what Wikipedia calls it. The entry is about 3 sentences long. I just remembered hearing about it somewhere when I read this thread.

Yeah, sorry. Typing too fast. Meant bad argument

Actually, it would have to be “Do not have sex with this man. Even if you put a condom on him, it might just disappear during coitus.” (Yes, I was that naive.)