When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back

As Harry Potter, Narnia and Lord of the Rings have hit the big screen, I ask myself what other beloved book favorites might make the transition to the silver screen…

…and of course I thought of Will, Merriman, and the rest of the Old Ones.

I wonder who has the rights to this series?

I still remember the whole rhyme…

I concur, The Dark is Rising would be a cool series to do.

I read the series (most of it) as an adult and wasn’t very happy with it.

How about Prydain?

I love The Dark is Rising sequence. I soooo wish that someone would turn these books into a (good) series of movies.

Susan Cooper wrote one great series. I would enjoy this one a lot.
MMI: The Black Cauldron
(Not to say it shouldn’t be return right, but there was an attempt)

Sorry not **MMI ** but jsgoddess, Must be time for me to go to sleep now.

Good Night
Jim

I vaguely recall reading a book entitled Redwall that was about mice and rats fighting a war. It was a series and I think at somepoint a badger came in and went nuts with bloodlust. That sounds like a pretty cool movie to me.

I’d be pretty happy to see either Prydain or The Dark is Rising in a good movie. I’d be depressed to see them screwed up.

Daniel

With the advent of good CGI, a lot of fantasy films would be entertaining. Geeky as it may sound, I’d like to see Drizzt do’Urden on the big screen (presuming, of course, it sucked less hard than the Dungeons and Dragons movie… a lot less hard).

It’s Redwall by Brian Jacques, and it’s part of a series, and it’s also been adapted into an animated cartoon for kids.

The books get kinda tiresome after a while, though.

My own vote for new fantasy series goes either to Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer or the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

My more nerdy friends and I have tried, and failed miserably, to cast this movie. We’re convinced that if it could be done successfully, it could only be done with previously unknown actors.

And, they’d have to stick with the first 6 books.
In that vein (the advent of good CGI), I’d love to see Elric brought to the big screen.

My dad read those books to me when I was a kid. I still know the whole poem, astonishingly enough.

I’m into the chronicles of Prydain, too. I know, I know, astonishing. I think they’d make a better movie (series of movies, whatever) than The Dark is Rising; they’re more direct.

They’re already working towards that.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Pern, and did hear at one point they were working on it for the small screen at least. Haven’t heard anything new in a couple years though. Same with The Last Unicorn.

Last Unicorn is in production with Christopher Lee as the King again.

Jim

Wiki has a good article on The Dark is Rising

IMDB has in as announced for 2007 but only in a writing stage. This could easily not happen. Hitchhikers was in and out of the writing stage for 20 years.

Jim

Even though it bogs down in the third book, I’d be pretty excited to see this one as well. It is an exciting and well told tale with absolutely great characters.
I’d like to see the people who did Shrek do the first Mythadventures book by Asprin.

More on HDM:
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.php?d=movie&p=cast_crew

Brian

IMDB has it listed as in pre-production for 2007, with a ‘scripting’ status, too. slightly anxious now

Still, majorly awesome. :cool:

When the release of the Narnia movie was getting close, I discovered that my wife had never read the Narnia books. I got her a set, and while I was in the kid’s section found a box set of the D.I.R. sequence! I just finished reading all of them (Narnia and D.I.R. books), and I still loved the series as much as I did when I was a kid. So, in the last year I have picked up and re-read 3 of my 4 favorite series of books from my childhood - D.I.R, Prydain, and Narnia.

I have been thinking about picking up my most favorite series as a kid, but I’m wondering if it will hold up as well of the rest did - L’engle’s Wrinkle in Time series…

Aaaahhhh! I just did a Google search and found out there was a made-for-TV version of it last year, and I missed it! Did anyone see it and was it any good?

Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain! Prydain!