When will (US) gasoline hit $4.00/gallon?

This thread makes me laugh and cry in equal measure.

Yes, I realise that the entire US society is based on low petrol prices, but I really cannot imagine what would happen if you were forced to pay UK fuel duties.

Posted by Happy Clam

Count me as one American who hopes gas prices do get higher and higher. One, I think it would be good for the US in that it would force the country to re-evaluate its attitude to the environment and cars.

Plus, as someone who owns a house in the city, I want gas prices to get so high they kill the exburbs and drive the value of my home through the roof. :smiley:

I also think such a scenario would force the country to adopt more progressive social policies, not being able to flee to the suburbs and all.

Yes, but what will happen to intercity (and interstate) transportation, especially of foodstuffs, when it gets too expensive to truck stuff around? The US is a big country- it seems like there’d be a risk of huge areas simply being forgotten and inaccesible (except at very slow speeds) if gas went too pricey.

Can’t we shift towards more rail transport? Trucks are only needed for the first and last leg of the journey. Trains use oil too, but much less than trucks.

It’d certainly create a market for more fuel-efficient trucks, which would be a good thing. And maybe it’d discourage outsourcing of manufacturing jobs. Possibly make big-box stores with nationwide distribution networks less profitable, and favor independent businesses with local supply sources.

As scr4 said, we have an unerutilized rail network. Also, maybe it would result in regionalism again and allow for the rebirth of smaller farms and maybe Americans could get used to the idea of not buying so much crap and such big cars.

Hmm, yes. Perhaps the excess transport load could be picked up by flying pigs.

/snarky

Nah, not really, I’m just feeling grouchy. No doubt there will be adaptions.

(Bolding mine)

Since it seems to me that much of the US economy is based on “buying so much crap,” I hate to think what the repurcussions would be.

(Guess I’m feeling grouchy too.)

Since most of that “crap” comes from China now, it may not be a bad thing.

Posted by OttoDaFe

Less garbage in landfills? Smaller trade imbalances? More personal savings? Decreases in pollution?

A major spike in oil prices could also be the driving crisis that forces the development of more efficient energy technologies.

Maybe an economic shock in the short term, but I think it could be that something bad for the US in the short term could be good for the world in the long term.