When You Curse People Are You Serious

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/god-damns-minnesota-vikings-as-requested,3403/

I swear a lot more in real life, but I’m able to keep myself contained when neccessary, a skill I picked up when I worked with small children and absolutely couldn’t swear in front of them. With the rare exception of injuring myself and letting something slip, I don’t worry about watching my language at work.

Case in point, we had an awful week during one project last year and one afternoon I began a rant punctuated with four letter words as soon as we left the building. One of the two people I was talking to was floored because he’d never heard me swear before, but the other person has known me since college and she found his reaction hysterical because, as she pointed out, I swear a lot.

I wonder what God damning the inanimate objects I curse would be like. Would a book or binder act differently if he really damned them for me after they fell on the floor?

In the moment, maybe, but in retrospect, no. It’s usually all about context. I can think someone’s being an idiot in one context but that doesn’t mean they are always an idiot.

Not that I really curse people out all that much. More generally, though, I swear like a trucker. I’ve had people mistake my general cursing for vitriol against them, but really it’s just that I swear a lot, particularly when I’m excited about something.

I, too, curse more IRL than on this board. It’s sometimes my only relief from stress. I have to really watch it though, because I teach college students. Yes, of course they curse a lot too, but as a teach, I want to set a good example for what is appropriate professional behavior.

Looks like my curse DID work – the Caps were swept out by the Bolts! :smiley:

Only when I use my ritual dagger and the table with the pentagram on the top.

The only person I’ve actually sworn at to their face was my father. Yes, I meant it, and he deserved it most of the time.

People I’ve cursed at behind their backs? Usually these are bosses, and less frequently, co-workers. Some really were what I called them. Some not.

Random strangers while driving, or standing in line, etc., I can’t really say whether they were what I said they were or not.

People that I’ve cursed many years after the fact for mistreating me during my childhood…yes, they were all supreme assholes.

Excuse me, this thread has brought up their memories, and I must curse them until they go away again.

No, it is not meant particularly seriously, even in the Pit. It is sort of like playing the dozens.

‘Over the top’ is part of the culture hereabouts. It should be done with some creativity, usually - just calling someone a fuckhead is one thing, accusing them of having unnatural relations with fresh roadkill is another.

It’s just fooling around, mostly.

Regards,
Shodan

I am a writer and a wordsmith. When I use a particular word, it’s because it means something I want to say.

Beautiful. :slight_smile:

I’ve had people get shocked when I swear, and they tell me, “Wow, you NEVER swear!” Except I swear plenty. Just not all the fucking time and every fucking where, for the love of fuck.

My grandmother was a devout Catholic who volunteered up at the church food bank, and worked as a nurse’s aid at a Catholic hospital. She also had a vocabulary that would make a trucker blush.

I always laugh when I hear people bitching about how kids learn bad language from TV. My cousins and I learned it from Grandma! (Well, I also learned from being around my dad when he was putting stuff together, or building things.)

You’re damned right I am.