When your group is the butt of the joke

Group can mean whatever you’d like it to mean; I was thinking along the lines of geographic location, regional culture, accent, etc. What got me to thinking of this topic is the mention of The Californians skit on the SNL reunion show (the linked clip isn’t the one from the show but it gives you an idea) in another thread. Aside from a few people that didn’t get it, I’ve never heard anyone really comment on it. I think the premise is hilarious and spot on, save for the fact that no one can seem to do the stereotypical SoCal accent.

So how do Long Islanders, for instance, feel about the whole Lawn Guylandjokes, or Kentucky natives and the hillbilly thing? Do you resent it or otherwise try to defend yourself? Do you get a kick out of it or are you mostly indifferent?

I am from California and my only problem with the sketch is that it should be called “The Southern Californians”, because it has nothing to do with most of the rest of CA. Other than that, I thought it was pretty funny, despite the horrible accent. How do you get that accent so wrong?

I’m OK with it when it’s done in good taste. :smiley:

New Englanders are frequently the butt of jokes about our accents, idiosyncratic vocabularies, predilection to certain local coffee franchises and reactions to winter weather (Oh my GAWD, it’s gonna snow! I gotta for to Mahket Basket and get milk and bread! And go to the packie and get some bee-ah!!!"

Personally, I think it’s well-deserved and most of us appreciate it.

It puts people into a no-win situation.

Protest, and people roll their eyes, “They’re protesting, just like we thought they would.”

Be quiet, and people say, “Well then, they must not mind then.”

I am from California and my only problem with the sketch is that it should be called “The Angelenos”, because it has nothing to do with most of the rest of Southern California [I’m from San Diego]. And yes, the accent is so bad: I’d understand an exaggerated version of the SoCal accent, but they seem to insert random y-sounds before the vowels, which Californians don’t do. (And Betty White said “Ven-toor-a,” but it’s “Ven-chur-a” in English.)

Americans are considered crazy anywhere in the world.
They will usually concede a basis for the accusation but point to California as the focus of the infection. Californians stoutly maintain that their bad reputation is derived solely from the acts of the inhabitants of Los Angeles County. Angelenos will, when pressed, admit the charge but explain hastily, “It’s Hollywood. It’s not our fault—we didn’t ask for it; Hollywood just grew.”
The people in Hollywood don’t care; they glory in it. If you are interested, they will drive you up Laurel Canyon “—where we keep the violent cases.”

RAH - “And He Built a Crooked House”

I’m from Alabama, I’m of Scotch-Irish descent, I have a Appalachian southern accent and I’m a University of Alabama fan. I work with New Englanders.

Another Alabamian. The main irritation I have is that there are at least a dozen distinct accents in Alabama alone, and there are a lot of people like me who grew up here but because of TV or whatever other reason don’t really have a thick regional accent, yet if there is a character from Alabama (or another Deep South state) 6:1 odds it’s not going to sound like anybody I know. There’s a One-Size-Fits-Yall Pan-Southern Accent that’s used for characters regardless of where they’re from geographically or socioeconomically. I don’t mind it on shows like Married With Children (I know that’s dated, but that type of show- so broad it’s almost burlesque), but it’s irritating on shows that want to be taken seriously.

Having never lived in northern Louisiana I can’t speak for the accuracy to that region, but I will say that the dialect coaches for True Blood actually achieved accents that wouldn’t make me blink in Alabama. I’ve definitely heard people who sound like the Stackhouse siblings (played by Australian Ryan Kwanten and Kiwi Anna Paquin).

Good lord. There’s a special place waiting for you in Heaven, then. I can’t imagine the teasing you must get regularly.

What miniseries was it that Patrick Swayze played a Confederate soldier from the deep South? That was one of the worst Southern accents I’ve ever heard in the media.

I’m an Alabamian, and a Christian, and I tend to lean right in political issues. That’s the trifecta of mocking on this board. At times I want to explode.

[Foghorn Leghorn voice]Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered, for just such an occasion. [/Foghorn Leghorn voice]

I used to grow up in Alabama but have been in Tennessee long enough that I don’t know which has had more influence on my speech. The good thing I was exposed to early on was Brother Dave Gardner and later Lewis Grizzard and Jeff Foxworthy among other distinguished “voices of the South” whose attitudes and comedy help to let a Southern Boy not feel isolated or too belittled.

Charlie Daniels, The Allman Brothers, Billy Bob Thornton and others in the music game have echoed that same feeling.

I ain’t ashamed, By God! :smiley:

I’m a soon-to-be middle-aged-virgin with Tourettes Syndrome from Georgia. I’m black and I’m a woman. And I play the viola.

A laugh track greets me whenever I enter a room. :smiley:

My family, both sides, came from Poland in the early 1900s. My maiden name, while not ending in -ski, was still a challenge to pretty much everyone. I heard more than my share of dimb Polack jokes as a kid.

I was also a federal employee for 37 years (including 11 years on active duty in the Navy) - so I just love cracks about how government workers don’t do anything ever. Yeah, I just sat on my ass all those years. And those 12-hour shifts (especially when I got stuck on mids) were just parties among the partitions - cubicle cavorting, if you will… :rolleyes:

I do my best to consider the source and ignore the feeble attempts at “humor” - life’s to short to permit idiots to give you ulcers.

Oh, **monstro **- I’ll see your viola and raise you my accordion! :smiley:

Reminds me of the line: A rabbi, a priest, & an imam walk into a bar. The bartender says “What is this, some kinda joke?” <rimshot>

I’m Californian, but NORTHERN thankyouverymuch.* I could barely understand the dialogue in the sketch, but it would be funny if they could do better accents.

I think it really varies when your group is the butt of the joke and who’s telling it. I’ll laugh at my own group any day, but Californians (of whatever type) aren’t exactly downtrodden.

• Rackafrassin stealin our water forgetwe exist mutter gripe almonds!

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

This made me laugh out loud, especially “almonds!”

I grew up in New Jersey, and have lived in Arkansas for the past 30 years. Some of my Arkie in-laws used to tease me (“New Joisey? Haha!”) Are you kidding? You think you have standing to taunt me?!?

I’m blonde. I try to tolerate with a smile the blonde jokes, but sometimes it’s hard.

I started out at this company as a “floater”, that is, I sat at the desks of vacationing secretaries to do their attorneys’ work. I had to access their email to do this, and found more than once emails circulating the latest and most vicious blonde jokes.

The thing is, one of these secretaries works for a blonde female attorney who is a high-achieving Harvard grad. And the secretary herself isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I can’t think of any particularly insulting Chicago area jokes. I mean, stuff like “The Superfans” gets more of a “Ha ha, boy I know guys like that”. Closest I can think of is some New York guys I know online playing the “You guys have terrible pizza” game but that’s hardly anything to take to personally.

I’m sure Wisconsin and Indiana people have some choice jokes but they’re in WI and IN so who cares? :wink:

In True Blood, Ryan Kwanten sounded just like my nephew who was born and has always lived in Memphis TN. He even looked a little like him.