Where are flags never lowered?

I have heard that there are three places in the United States where the flag is never lowered to half-staff. Two of them are the home of Betsy Ross and the Iwo Jima Memorial. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so where the third flag is located?

I think at the United Nations building in NYC. Its also the only place on US soil where the US Flag isn’t required to be higher than all other flags.

Well, I don’t know if this fits your criterion, but the one the Apollo astronauts placed on the moon is usually not lowered. :wink:

The Betsy Ross House in Philadephia is not a government site. Therefore, there is no law requiring the flag must never be flown at half-staff.

BTW, Betsy Ross did not sew the first Stars & Stripes, despite the 225-plus year story that she did.

A lot of car dealers leave their half-acre flags flying 24/7/365.

The U.S. Flag Code, 7 ©:

(an exception for the U.N. follows)

The U.S. flag doesn’t have to be higher, it just can’t be lower. That means that, for example, the Colorado state flag, or the flag of Britney Spears, can be flown at the same level as the U.S. flag.

only in america…!! :rolleyes:

:smiley: (evil grin)

AFAIK, the UN building is not US soil, but the sovereign territory of the United Nations.

UnuMondo

It is US soil, but the UN enjoys some immunities. (A bit like a foreign embassy, really.)

Not an American example, but the British Royal Standard is never lowered or flown at half mast, as it symbolises the institution of the monarchy rather than an individual person and as such never dies, ie the sucession is instant.

This caused quite a lot of hysterical handwringing when Princess Diana died as the flag on Buckingham Palace was not at half mast.

(Eventually they flew a Union Jack at half mast)

You know I’ve seen so many different cites on this that I don’t think any of them are true. I have at home a Boy Scout book on how to display the flag and it lists five different places, four of them are in the DC area.

Iwo Jima
White House
Congress
Francis Scott Key grave site in Frederick, MD (This is the only reason I remember this because I grew up near the site) and
Arizona Mem in Hawaii

Over the years I’ve heard so many differing things that I really don’t know who to beieve. I also never went to look at the FSK grave at night so I don’t know if that is true or not.