Where can I buy a black leather coat?

Is there a catalog, a website, the name of a store where a middle class middle aged lady can buy herself a new black leather coat? The one she has now is a sort of trench style, with a zip in lining, bought from a catalog about 20 years ago. She’s looked in the mall and sees tiny tight little leather jackets for hipsters, motorcycle jackets, but no knee length black leather coats like the one she currently owns. It’s all frayed and crappy looking, the leather coats in the thrift store look better than her own. She will consider upgrading to a swing coat style. Wilsons Leather has a few useless leather jackets, any coats there seem to be cloth. The catch being, she doesn’t want to pay $500 or up for such a garment even if she can find one. Mid-priced, if possible.

Any ideas? Anything on-line? Should I tell her to forget it, give in, buy herself a nice sensible puffer jacket so she can look like the Michelin tire man? Maybe Burlington Coat Factory?

If you search for leather dusters, that should put you more in the zone for mid-leg leather coats of the non-hipster variety. You’re thinking of something like what Spike wore in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, right?

Good old Needless-Markup has a women’s black leather trench coat for $495. Hey, that’s less than $500, right?

Cheap leather is cheap - read that both directions.

A trench coat is a hell of a lot of yardage and if you find one for much less than $4-500, it’s going to be junk that doesn’t last more than a season. I’d budget around $5-600 to catch one on a good sale. $7-800 for standard discounter pricing. However, you’re looking at something you’ll own for ten years.

I found both my dress leather jackets at Wilsons and paid a pretty fair price for both. Wait for sales.

Of course, my real leather jacket I bought at Harley, but it’s not exactly dress. Bulletproof, probably. Dressy, no.

My duster is Australian oilcloth (Drizabone). Love that beast.

You might try Leather.com

It’s the San Diego Leather Jacket Company. They’ve been in business for eons and specialize in cow leather (as opposed to deer or goat or whatever else) and their catalogue includes fashion items for every genre and functional items for every profession. Lots of law enforcement people (particularly motorcycle cops) get their stuff through these guys.

I happened to pick up a jacket that was custom-ordered by someone else but never picked up. It cost me <$100 off the clearance rack. That was in 1992 and it’s still doing a great job for me today. I replaced the zipper once, but the skin looks brand new, even though I’ve been commuting by motorcycle with it just about every weekday.

–G!
Corollary question: Where can I get Deerskin jackets and pants (biker grade)? Thurlow Leather in San Diego went out of business years ago.

I got a 3/4 length leather coat for those demographics for $150 at a Wilson’s Outlet. It’s in great shape a few years later. I think this is the exact jacket. I see you’ve already looked at Wilson’s, though. :frowning: