[QUOTE=Una Persson]
You must be picking some odd dates and such. I just checked Expedia for round-trip LAX-CDG on March 23 returning April 1, and seeing scads of flights $900-$1050. Either that or I do not understand your projected itinerary.
I would definitely fly to Paris and take the train to Strasbourg. There are so many reasons to do so, mainly flexibility of flights, cheapness of airfare, and the fact that the French trains run pretty well and aren’t that dear.
[/QUOTE]
Flying into Frankfurt is even better. It’s about half the distance from Frankfurt to Strasbourg as Strasbourg to Paris. And if you can get to Stuttgart or Zurich, it’s even closer, but it should be cheaper to fly to Frankfurt as it’s a hub.
I, too, am curious how you’re finding $3000 airfares. Unless you’re travelling the middle of summer, I’ve never paid more than $800 for a round trip ticket to Europe (usually Budapest from Chicago), and I’ve been back and forth at least two dozen times.
Doing the same search as Una Persson to Frankfurt on Travelocity, I’m finding prices starting at $683 roundtrip with air, taxes, and fees. Average seems to be about $750 for flights.
Oh, wow, if you fly into Stuttgart (which is only 2 hours from Strasbourg, as opposed to 3 from Frankfurt and over 6 from Paris), prices start at $625, and there’s 11 flights available at the $665 level.
If I were you, I would just fly into Stuttgart. It’s an easy airport, the rail is easy to find, and you’ll be able to get a train to Strasbourg with little hassle. Rail in Europe is an enjoyable experience, so I highly recommend it.
Don’t bother flying directly into Strasbourg. It’s just as easy and much cheaper to hit either Frankfurt or Stuttgart and take the rail the rest of the way.