Where did all the silver go?

tris said

But there is a bigger reason–Lifestyles.

We have never bought more sets of sterling flatware that we currently do, and are reselling fewer than ever before to the public. The generation of people who are in their 60s-80s and would like to leave their sets to their heirs can’t find any younger people who want them. The “youngsters” don’t entertain the way their parents/grandparents did. They don’t want the trouble of polishing the silver when company is coming.

I, a member of the younger (21) generation, am very much into silver sets. It could be a tea/coffee set, sterling flatware, silver jewelry… whatever. My family has the sterling flatware that my great-grandmother bought for herself and her children after the depression. She gave it with the blessing “May you never have to sell this for food.” My grandmother added to her inherited set, making a full service for 12 for each of her two daughters (with each of them receiving four of the original sets that great-grandmother bought) as well as many serving pieces. I am very proud that I have this heirloom coming to me when I marry. It has so much more value than just the price on the silver and the artisan’s craft; my great-grandmother did this for a reason.
I don’t see myself as someone who will ever need such a set to entertain with, but I expect my guests will appreciate the different generations of the sterling that their places will be set with.

~Mag