Where did L. Ron Hubbard get his ideas?

A combination of alcohol, altered mental states, and mental illness, probably no different from most religious mystics. Altered mental states being achieved by drugs these days rather than fasting and mortification of the flesh.

I, for one, lament the rapid passing of the time of “fasting and mortification of the flesh”.

Just to clear my original question up, I know that Hubbard more than likely was making it up (or his making it up was a result of an unstable mental state), I’m just curious about what the “official” origin story is.

Ah, the good old days…

Here’s an educational illustration about getting people to believe things:
http://www.youdamnkid.com/d/20030707.html

BTW, you’ll have to scroll down to see the pertinent 4 panel illustration.

What, you don’t have time to visit their homepage? Well then, the answer is that space aliens came and told him, same as with the mormons.

Harlan Ellison seemed to think so, in the comments he’s made about Hubbard. “We all thought Ron was just being Ron.”

Most, maybe. But I have. In fact, I’d be willing to bet than in my 50 years I’ve probably read as much SF, good and bad, as anyone on this board. The “sci-fi” tag wasn’t a put-down. I just first became aware of Ron through his association with Campbell, so “sci-fi” he will always be with me. “Nuts” he will always be, too. :smiley:

Please see post #8. That’s all I could find without actually cracking open Scientology “literature” to be sure.

Goddamit. That was of course me.

I have to agree. I remember (no cites) from many different phone calls, reading,
and discussing (On the net) about Scientology. Hubbard was a writer. In my opion a damn good one. I also think he was a great put-on artist.

Just in my humble opion.

You know, the local Scientology Church in Murfreesboro folded & closed its doors a coulple of years ago.
Lack of intrest.

Where did you read about this? :confused:

A number of hears ago a couple of guys started a campaign demanding that animals be clothed. They claimed it was obscene for dogs and cats and horses and so forth to be running around naked. They started a national organization to promote their position and actually got quite a few people to join up and many of them became quite vocal about it. After about 3 or 4 years they admitted that it had all been a hoax and that they just wanted to see if people would really fall for it. They found out.

That just breaks my heart to hear. I was so looking forward to strolling down and joining up! Oops, sorry, I think I owe everyone a new sarcasm meter.

And I’ve read about it…almost everywhere. It’s not something Scientologists find out about right away. You don’t hear that story until you’ve payed the big money and gotten to OTIII. You can read about it here.

A buddy of mine used to work near the Nashville office of Co$ and he said that everyone avoided the place like it was cursed. Even though it was shorter for folks walking to cut through the parking lot, they’d cross the street to get away from the place.