Where did the slurs "Wop" and "Kike" come from?

What the hell do they mean? I’ve heard it so many times. Other ethnic groups have understandable derogatory slurs (Nigger is a corruption of Negro, Polack is obvious,
Spic I assume comes from ''Hispanic,") and the list goes on. But if you’re Italian or Jewish, you get stuck with weird insults that seem more like nonsense words than anything comprehensible.

Who knows the origins of “wop” and “kike?”

What about “gook”, it doesn’t make any sense either. And is “crout (sp?)” for Germans relate to that stuff you put on hotdogs?

These posts are kind of ignorant but I think the poster and I have righteous educational intents.

This is from The History Channel, I think. “Paragons of accuracy” as they are, you can take it for what it’s worth. :dubious:

When Italian immigrants came to Ellis Island, many of them did not have the proper documentation. A note was made to that effect: “Without Papers”. It was shortened to “W.O.P.”

Jewish immigrants had s chalk circle drawn on their clothing for some reason. “Circle” in Yiddish was “Keikel”; hence, “Kike”.

I’m not prepared to believe it without an authorative cite. I mean, if the Italians were without papers, why weren’t they deported? Were the Italians the only ones without documentation? If not, why isn’t anyone else called “wop”? And what’s with the circles on the Jews? Were they the only ones?

So anyway, that’s one explanation. I’ll bet it’s wrong.

WOP means With Out Papers. Immigrants arriving in the U.S. had to have paperwork from the old country, I guess. Why it applied just to the Italians, I don’t know.
Can’t help with Kike.

This site says:

It mentions the circle thing:

And it also mentions three other possibilities. The author of the page writes:

This site says “wop” comes from:

So…

Looks like I’m only batting 500 on this one.

Actually, it doesn’t. It comes from spiggoty/spigotty. It dates to the building of the Panama Canal, when the Panamanians would approach an English speaking visitor and, when asked if they spoke English, some would say “yes, spik-a-de-English.”* The Americans referred to them as “spiggoties.” Shortening the word to “spik or spic” was just a matter of time.

I may not have conveyed the exact spelling of the phrase, but it’s the etymological truth, no matter HOW fanciful an explanation it sounds.

*Cites available from 1909.

My grandfather (a Jewish Immigrant) once told me that the circle was a reference to the little piece removed in a circumcision.

But he may have told me this after half a bottle of schnapps.

“Kraut” does indeed derive from the stuff you put on hotdogs.

As for “gook,” well, things get complicated. Check here for some thoughts on the origin of this term.

Here’s what the OED has to say on the etymologies of the above words:
[ul]
[li]kike: said to be an alteration of -ki (or -ky), a common ending of the personal names of Eastern European Jews who emigrated to the U.S. at the turn of the 20th c. (The earliest citation given in the OED is from 1907.)[/li][li]wop: origin uncertain; perh. ad. It. dial. guappo bold, showy, ruffian, f. Sp. guapo bold, dandy, f. L. vappa sour wine, worthless fellow.[/li][li]spic: shortened from SPIGGOTY.[/li][/ul]

And “gook” is listed as “origin unknown.”

That makes no sense to me. The patronymics -ki, and -ky are found in Russia, Romania, the Ukraine etc. If this is the origin of kike, why didn’t it apply to all people from this area?

Re Kraut

It must be understood that to many Germans and German-Americans (like my Dad) sauerkraut is far more than something to put on a hot dog. It is a side dish, salad, or appetizer all by itself. Sure the Germans brought plenty of other foods (numerous sausages, many recipes for beer,) but most of these were palatable to Americans of the time. The appeal of a plate of rancid cabbage escaped them, and sauerkraut was singled out.

In regard to the term “gook”, I’m aware of a use that seems to pre-date the origins discussed here and in the cites. In June through August 1904 there appeared in the New York Evening World newspaper a comic strip titled “The Great American Gook”, by Ferdinand Long. The strip starred a nutty sort of robotic alien called a “Gook”. The humor of the strip was derived from the Gook being completely out of control and at odds with civilized people. The strip created a short-lived fad of applying the word gook to anyone with strange customs, anyone who didn’t fit in. I don’t know whether the cartoonist originated the term or picked up on an existing bit of jargon. I also don’t know if the use of “gook” in this context outlived the strip to the extent ofdovetailing with the later usage.

Since the word “gook” came up in this thread, I’ve long had a question I’ve never known the answer to. Does the word “gook” have a different meaning than in the UK? The reason I ask is because of a line in the song “Ticking” by Elton John.

http://www.eltonography.com/songs/ticking.html

“They had you holed up in a downtown bar screaming for a priest
Some gook said “His brain’s just snapped” then someone called the police”

It just seems odd to me Bernie Taupin (Elton’s lyricist) would gratuitously toss in the song a racial slur. Or does perhaps “gook” mean Asian in the UK, but the term isn’t seen as being particularly offensive?

The word gook first shows up in print in 1859, but not in the sense that it was used by US troops in the 20th century. It was spelled gooh in that cite, but in Farmer and Henley’s slang dictionary(1890-93) it was defined as “Gook…(American).–A low prostitute.”

There is also a 1911 cite from the cartoonist T. A. Dorgan in which he said"Packey had the softest time of his life trimming the Gotham gooks." Combined with slightly later cites, this use meant "a foolish or peculiar person(gink?)

The “gook” military use which shows up in 1920, almost certainly had an origin in the term “goo goo” which was used by American troops before 1900 in a deprecating sense.

The Word Detective says

Johnny L.A., your site and mine are similar, yet a little different…

I’d love to read more on your site, but your link is not working. Can you redirect me?

I think Johnny’s link was http://kpearson.faculty.tcnj.edu/Dictionary/dictionary.htm

You’d think that closing in on 12,000 posts, I’d have learned to be more careful with my coding. :smack:

The URL is http://kpearson.faculty.tcnj.edu/Dictionary/wop.htm

Thanks for the assist, samclem.