Where do you book European rail tickets?

So, I’m looking to buy rail tickets between these cities: Budapest, Zagreb, Bratislava, Brno and Vienna (connections in that order).

According to wikitravel, there’s train services between Budapest and Zagreb daily (which makes sense, seeing as they are in neighbouring countries). Yet, when I go to raileurope.co.uk, I’m informed that it cannot find any tickets, even if I try changing the date.

Is there another website where I can view rail prices and book in advance (I’m looking for mid August). I know there must be, as I’ve done a trip like this before in the Baltic states, but that time my friend worked out the details.

Please do not suggest a Eurorail card. From experience they are overpriced for what I want.

Thanks.

Get yerself over to my former colleague’s website for all rail queries.

if you want connections, the German Bahn website (www.db.de) is, in my experience, the best choice. As far as booking such connections as you’re looking for on line, I think that could be hard and overly expensive. If I were you, I’d go to Budapest and buy tickets as I went; I’m guessing you won’t need to make reservations this far ahead because the distances you’re looking to travel are really small.

Deutsche Bahn’s website is generally pretty good if it comes to buying domestic tickets or getting information on schedules, but it’s poor with regards to international tickets. Last fall, I wanted to travel to Paris by TGV; Deutsche Bahn’s website offered excellent timetable information but could not tell me the price of the ticket, nor let me book one, stating that fare information for international travel was not available. Finally, I went to an ordinary travel agency in town to get the ticket.

Maybe they fixed that by now, or maybe it was simply due to the TGV’s special status. I’d recommend buying the ticket personally in a ticket office at a major European train station.

Wow. Impressive. I wish I’d seen it before I went to Europe.

Needs a section for Canadians, though.

[sub]The UK isn’t part of Europe?
:: d&r ::[/sub]

you’re right, but I think this thing is true for all European Rail Companies - the system is just too complicated for them to figure out what something should cost once you cross the border.

But it was just a matter of their publicly accessible web site. The travel agency I went to could not only tell me the exact fare - they also sold me the ticket right over the counter. I could also have bought the ticket at any ticket office in a station (many of these offices are now being replaced by machines, and buying a domestic ticket on them is a cumbersome procedure - I don’t want to imagine what it’s like to book a cross-border journey on one of them, in case it’s even possible).

Get a Euro Rover, old man.

Cool, thanks, those sites look just what I wanted.