When your NY Times sub gets expensive, just go online to cancel and keep saying “no” when they ask if you want to talk with someone, and “yes” when they ask if you really want to cancel. Eventually you will be offered the reduced initial rate.
I do like The Guardian for an ‘outside the US news bubble’ viewpoint. It’s not necessarily a go-to, but if I’m googling something and I see a Guardian article come up in the results, I will click on it.
Politico is good for political news. I just googled its political bias, and apparently it’s ‘lean left / center’, which is good enough for me. I also sometimes check out thehill.com, which I thought was a bit to the right, but googling it, supposedly it’s smack dab ‘center’.
Ah, the old ‘hardball the cable company to keep getting the intro rate’ gambit. We cut the cable years ago, but I remember that yearly tradition well.
I refuse to pay for news, but there’s a wide variety of sources that are still free. I rely heavily on CBC News, secondarily on CNN, and thirdly on a whole mish-mash of whatever’s out there, like PBS, BBC, and wire services like AP. Sometimes I’ll even look in on Fox News, but that’s mostly for amusement to see how badly they’re distorting or omitting the facts.
P.S.- in my capacity as annoying pedant, I object to the unnecessary preposition in the title. What’s wrong with “where do you get you online news?” What purpose does “from” serve? The Curse of the Redundant Preposition seems quite commonplace, though. In police bodycam videos, I can’t count the number of times I hear something like “where is he at?”. Because “where is he?” somehow just won’t do.
The BBC was one of my primary online news sites for years; they have now gone to a subscription model for the U.S., at least. It’s $8.99 a month, or $49.99 a year.
In my defense as a humble victim of what I prefer to call Hartman’s law of prescriptive retaliation, I will point out that your redundant preposition is a deliberate choice, whereas typing “you” for “your” is one of the most common innocent typos that tend to occur as a result of rapid touch typing. Not in the same class, and Gaudere himself would be ashamed of such a grossly iniquitous attempt to establish any sort of equivalence between your grammatical anarchy and a simple slip of a furry paw on a keyboard!
Me too and I’m not sure why - I often find its articles insightful and they come at things from an angle that is different to my other usual sources. But somehow I don’t seem to read it as religiously as other sources.
S&S always had independent editorial control. That is currently changing because someone wants to turn it into a propaganda rag. That’s a very recent change. I always found it to be pretty neutral with much of it’s reporting coming from AP or UPI.
Military Times (and the other publications under its umbrella, Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times, Air Force Times) is owned and published by a private company. I find it to be very neutral. I see online that it’s rated as being very slightly left leaning. It’s almost exclusively articles that pertain to the military. The current administration has no control over it but they could keep it from being sold at the checkout of the PX.