Where have all the British TV shows gone from Amazon Video?

There are a few British shows on our watch list, all fairly light stuff (all we are up for nowadays when we collapse on the sofa after putting the kids to bed, True Detective? Happy Valley? Looks great but way too dark for us). The three on the top of the list are:

• QI (all time great panel quiz show, rare example of changing iconic host and actually improving IMO)
  • Grand Designs (meme worthy home renovation show)
  • Great British Menu (not quite up to Bake-off standards particularly in the later series, but still entertaining enough fair)

All these were on Amazon Video (either Prime or the Britbox channel), usually appearing shortly after they are released on British TV. But then in around 2021/2 they all stopped getting new shows. The last season of QI is the “Q” season from 2022, the last season of Grand Designs is season 18 from 2021, and the last Great British Menu is from 2017 (I seemed to remember there was a later one than this on BritBox but it was taken down?). All these shows have continued since then, but none of the newer series are on Prime Video. There is the odd episode on YouTube, but nothing on any of the official streaming platforms (TaskMaster being on YouTube has been the only thing that has kept us going :wink: )

Where have they gone? Is there some licensing issue that caused this? Has another streaming platform I don’t have taken over? (I don’t have AppleTV or Disney+).

Have you checked youtube? I don’t know how often they upload new episodes, but I run across QI all the time. And checking it again, their youtube channel is regularly uploading new episdoes and it looks like they’re up to Series (that never feels right) 20, while the actual show is in 21.

I didn’t check the other two shows.

FWIW, there’s a BBC show thread around here somewhere from when a bunch of us were watching Taskmaster/Countdown/Would I Lie To You/Big Fat Quiz etc.

ETA, here it is:

So it seems everyone has different numbering schemes for the different series of QI. Going of the canonical letter scheme :slight_smile: , Amazon have everything up to about half way through the T series (they stop at the Christmas episode for 2022). On YouTube they have up to the S series from 2021 so they are even further behind. The latest series is the U series.

YouTube has a random selection of newer Great British Menu and Grand Designs, but its all clearly unofficial and recorded using god-only-knows what mechanism, but its generally really shitty video quality.

Note this is a typo (missed edit window) I meant Season “T”

May I recommend the series ‘Yes, Minister’ and the follow-up ‘Yes, Prime Minister’?

They are cleverly written (and superbly acted) about politicians in the UK Parliament and the government employees (‘Civil Service’) who work for them.

The First Ever Episode! | Yes, Minister | BBC Comedy Greats (youtube.com)