Where have my hummingbirds gone?

Actually, I think I know: the winds of Hurricane Ike blew through here last Sunday, with gusts up to 60 mph! Poor little birdies.

Does anyone with birding experience know if they’ll return? Or if any more will find my feeders at this point in the season? I’d gotten attached to the zippy little darlings, territorialism and all, and I’d like to see them back!

I don’t really know, but I’ll ask my sister, who is into birdwatching in a big way. She has hummingbird feeders as well.

Isn’t there some folk-wisdom rule about not feeding them after a certain date so they will migrate on time and not freeze to death? Maybe it’s just time for them to go for the year.

Contentious little buggers, aren’t they? I’ve got two feeders out on my porch, and I’ve been watching some epic battles.

They usually leave for their migration around Labor Day. If you fed them this year, they will be back looking for your feeders come spring. They will bring friends.

Yay! I hope they bring friends. I brought in my hummingbird feeder and replaced it with a seed feeder for the winter crowd.

I just read up on the migration patterns of hummingbirds last week. I found out a lot of interesing things. I will look for the link.

Interesting site about hummingbirds.

I’ve seen a single hummingbird darting around some of the flowers on my deck the past few days. I’m considering getting a feeder next spring. I assume there’s not a lot of point putting one up now if they’re going to be migrating soon.