Where is the English alphabet defined? And more

maybe it’s finally time for the DECABET!

BM, I wonder how long this thread will remain lmnopen.

Thank you CwG :slight_smile:

I don’t think & was considered a proper “letter” but it was recited by schoolchildren as part of the alphabet as “and per se and,” which they corrupted to “ampersand” and the name stuck.

Don’t you mean XAPПO MAPKC?

I’m LMNOpen to the idea.

Dang. Right you are. :smack:

I doubt this apocryphal story, which I note is repeated unattributed at Wikipedia. The ampersand was sometimes included in attempts at letter ordering, and in some was put at the end after “z,” but it would take something more than an unattributed recital of this cute story to convince me that the name came about that way. Perhaps Samclem could enlighten us.

You’re right to doubt it, because the story is garbled in CwG’s cite. Here’s Morris on the situation:

http://www.word-detective.com/052003.html#ampersand

Although & was in the recitation, it was distinct and distinguished from the recognized 26 letters.

As for the Cyrillic misspelling - heck, people around here can’t get it right in the Latin alphabet. :frowning:

It’d possibly be more accurate to say that Latin had only 20 letters. K was rarely used. In fact, the only Latin word I know of that had it is kalends and even that was often spelled with a C. Y and Z were only used for words borrowed from Greek. I’ve seen a Latin pangram (sentence containing all the letters) that did not have K, Y and Z.

Z was an interesting case. Latin inherited it from Etruscan which got its alphabet from Greek, but dropped it because the sound does not occur in Latin. Several centuries later, it was added because they’d borrowed a handful of Greek words that had it. It originally was towards the beginning of the alphabet like the Greek zeta, but was added at the tail end.

Care to make a b& ?

Never mind, you’re probably right. Forg& about it.

By the way, speaking of the Alphabet Song . . . does anyone know if Russians or Greeks have songs to go along with their alphabets?

“K” also was taken from the Greeks (Kappa). However, it wasn’t used hardly at all because the Romans had a perfectly good letter to use for the sound already, namely “C.”

As for the Alphabet Song, it is worth noting that the possibly apocryphal story about the origin of “ampersand” doesn’t say it came at the end of the Alphabet Song, but rather was recited at the end of an alphabet teaching pattern where you started with “A is for apple, B bought it, C cut it, …” According to the story, you didn’t have anything to do with X, Y, and Z, so you simply said, “X, Y, Z and per se and, …” and then added some sort of rhyming phrase to finish it off.

I still want to hear what Samclem has in the way of info on this…