Where should I go in Europe?

Go to Denmark and rent a bike. They let you take it on all trains. Have a beer, not “export quality”, that’s the stuff the locals won’t drink. Tivoli is almost always open, a smalll small Disneyland, but very friendly.

If you make it all the way down to the tip of Italy’s boot, take a boat over to Taramina (sp?) at the foot of Mt Etna on Sicily. This town was built on an almost veritical slope. The terraced streets and houses make it the most interesting and beautiful places I’ve seen in the Med. If you want to see some Ancient Greek ruins without actually going to Greece, you’ll find plenty on Sicily’s Southern coast, particularly around Agrigento (sp?). The temples there are increadibly will preserved while at the same time unadulterated by very much restoration. These date back to Greek colonies established c.1200 BC.

Of, course, you’re nuts if you come to Europe without visiting Barcelona.

The rudeness of the French is greatly overstated. They’re no ruder than anyone else. As someone wisely said before, learn a few French phrases and be polite and they’ll love you. “Pardon, Monsieur, un cafe au lait, s’il vous plait” works wonders. Much better than “Hey, gimme a cup of coffee”. “Monsieur” or “Madame” everybody and say “s’il vous plait” a lot and they’ll know you’re at least trying to be cool. And they’ll respond with friendliness 99% of the time. Also, “Pardon, je ne parle pas bien français, parlez-vous anglais?” makes people a lot more willing to help you out.

Everywhere I’ve been in France has been nice, but I particularly recommend Nimes (Roman temple, amphitheatre, cheap and down-to-earth, 30 minutes by train from Avignon and Arles, with the Pont du Gard a bus ride away) and Carcassonne (yeah, I know the castle was restored, but it was done by Viollet-le-Duc, and if you want to see a castle, this is THE castle) DO NOT stay or eat more than a sandwich in Avignon or Arles. Unless money means nothing, of course. For nice beach towns, Collioure.

In Italy, go to Siena, near Florence. It’s just beautiful. In Florence, by the way, if you can, stay in the youth hostel–it’s a remodeled Renaissance villa outside of town. It’s often booked up, though.

In London, don’t miss the British Museum, the National Gallery, or the Imperial War Museum. I also had an extremely good time taking a boat from Westminster Pier up the Thames to Kew Gardens and Hampton Court Palace. Take the train back from Hampton Court. Make sure you get the first boat, which is at 9 AM, I think, because the palace closes at 5. Everyone says AVOID touring Buckingham Palace. Highly expensive and boring. Also, avoid tourist traps like Madame Tussaud’s and the London Dungeon.

If you want me to convince you to visit Barcelona, just ask and I will.

Do the Catacombs tour in Rome. It’s touristy as hell, but also cool.

About speaking French in France: I say avoid it unless you are fluent. Say “bonjour” and “au revoir”, and anything you can pronounce correctly, but once you know someone speaks English, avoid speaking in stuttered or incorrect French. I have met exactly one rude Frenchman, but several have let me know how protective they are of their language and that they would prefer to practice their English than hear me destroy their native tongue.
As for where to go. There is aan adorable little hamlet near the centre of France called Treignac. It’s lovely, and the people are nice. There is a beach (man-made on a lake) and the best baker in all of Europe. He makes some exquisite little cakes that I can’t spell (Charles le Cheaux?) but they’re pronounced Shar-le-Show. My best friend lives there during the summer in a locally famous chateau which has been featured in many paintings.
Also, nearby are the Chateau de Losse (very beautiful, but the English version of the tour is only confusing), La Roque Saint-Chrisophe (a city inside a cliff, which was inhabited from the Prehistoric to Middle Ages – some 55,000 years according to the brochure, but that seems a little high, doesn’t it?) and Sarlat, ville d’Art (a medieval town which has apparently changed very little since the 15th century). Now I’m reading this straight from the brochure, but I have visited these places and they are wonderful.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
– Henry David Thoreau

I would not waste my time on a trip to Stonehenge, unless you’re going to be in the vicinity anyway. I’ve yet to meet someone who wasn’t extremely disappointed by it. The stones are much smaller than you think and you can’t do nowt but look at them from a few metres away.

As a Scot (born and bred) I’m sorry you’re not planning to visit our beautiful country. Ireland, however, is lovely. Get to Donegal if at all possible.

Madrid and Barcelona should not be missed.

And about this Canadian flag thing–it really looks a bit pathetic, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. Christ knows I have the same problem with Americans thinking Scot = English!

Ok I agree with the Barcelona but there are a few places heavily favored by my unca Gary. This guy knows the places and he says these are fun.

London-Do the Jack the Ripper Walking Tour. Morbid but cool in the fact that you trace the infamous WhiteChapel murders and is very insightful. The walking tour leads to the crime scenes and the pubs and is very cool from what I hear
Barcelona-lovely lovely place. Gary said it truly was as good as the people say. Wonderful people, exquisite food, great atmosphere.
Someone mentioned Verona which my uncle says was beautiful and should not be missed in the case that it exemplifies quaintness

Gary says to find something unbelievable is to go to Greece and stay a few days. Imagine a entire island country where it is natural to relax the day away. Gary said it was a paradise in the women (Beautiful! and they love the nude beaches. Which he did by the way, said it was one of these times that thinking baseball scores while walking past a gorgeous nude women was very prevalent), and the old folk in that they are super nice. He played bocce ball with a bunch and did not know any language but the comraderie knew no language barrier.

Oh and he also said do not hit Stonehenge other than when the druids do their worship there (he said once a year but I dunno what it is)

Other tips:
If you can get near it and splurge a bit- rent a sports car and race the autobahn. Gary says there is nothing like doing 160 mph in a Porsche and not worrying about getting pulled over.
Drink the dark beer and remember that its supposed to be warm- He said he could not go back to American after a few. Also said they stew you faster.
Remember your ac adapter to transfer the voltage
Wear a rubber if you get lucky

Have fun and try not to do a Griswold-Hit every touristy place within a short period of time. Make a list of what there is and pick one or two. Also make a day to do nothing but look around, you would be surprised what you find

Ok, just so you all know, I have been to two totally different and intense parties today, so my post might be somewhat INCOHERENT.

>>Supposedly, the French are rude to Americans, but I heard nearby Holland likes American tourists. Stop and visit Andrew
Tnenbaum, http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/<<

People were rude to me in Paris, and Paris was dirty, but the service in the small cafes was excellent. I never went outside Paris; I understand that the countryside is much friendlier.

>>Also, small hint for Americans: Purchase a small Canadian flag badge and sew it on your backpack or whatever. If necessary, pretend to be (for northerners) from Toronto, (for southerners) from Calgary, or (for west coasters) from Vancouver. Europeans in
general like Canadians better than Americans. Sad (giggle) but true. <<

My first time in Europe, as a ten-year-old-was totally different. Total strangers would accost us on the street, and bring us up to their wedding reception, because they wanted to have Americans at their wedding. I got an awful champagne during my formative years.

The second time I went back, they were laughing at us, because we’d just elected Reagan-- TWICE.

>>Go to Denmark and rent a bike. They let you take it on all trains. <<

Absolutely

>>Have a beer, not “export quality”, that’s the stuff the locals won’t drink. Tivoli is almost always open, a smalll small Disneyland, but very friendly.<<

And the kids can play the slot machines.

>>I would not waste my time on a trip to Stonehenge, unless you’re going to be in the vicinity anyway. I’ve yet to meet someone who wasn’t extremely disappointed by it. The stones are much smaller than you think and you can’t do nowt but look at them from a few metres away.<<

Well, I’m Rowan, and now you know me. I had a religious experience at Stonehenge. I never wanted to leave.

>> Go to Slovakia. Someone recommended Prague, and it’s OK. The center is nicely preserved, although the outlying areas are pretty standard panelaky. Be aware that during the summer it can become beastly hot because the location often leads to an inversion. Because of this, and the attendant trapped pollution, most people who live in Prague leave in the summer. (If they can’t, they send their children into the country, because breathing the polluted air there in the summertime causes asthma and other respiratory diseases in young children.) Also, in the summer Prague is the center for rings of pickpockets and other thieves who prey on tourists. If you must go there, avoid the subway and be very wary around gypsies.<<

All true; I still reccomend Prague. See Prague and Bratislava both. Prague is one of the few great cities that didn’t have to be rebuilt after WWII.

>>Slovakia is gorgeous. The Old City in Bratislava isn’t as showy as the one in Prague, but it is relaxed and peaceful, which Prague is not. Also, if you aren’t afraid to rough it a little, go east. Liptov is beautiful. Go to the High Tatras, Spis (the movie “Dragonheart” was filmed at the castle here), Lucenec, and enjoy the incredible scenery. Also, Slovaks are very hospitible, and will happily assist travellers. Most young people know some English or German, and are happy to have the opportunity to practice. It isn’t as touristy as some parts of Europe, but it is a wonderful place. (Also, at 40 Slovak crowns to the dollar, cheap.<<

My mother’s family lives in Slovakia, so I spent six weeks of my summer tour of Europe picking potatos on their sustainance farm. For fun, they watched American TV shows I had long ago tagged as too lame to watch (Hotel, Dynasty), and walked down a series of bridges to purshase ice cream by the slab. It was melty, only vaguely vanilla, and Properly Ice Milk.

If you’re sure to see Britain, see Chepstow. It’s a town near the English/Welsh border, and it has Tintern Abbey. I could see it framed in my hotel window.

–Rowan
Shopping is still cheaper than therapy. --my Aunt Franny