Where should I move?

It’s on my list now! Any handy linkys for jobsites?

Australia is some sort of dream-land for many people here in the frozen north (myself included): everyone spending their days on the beach surfing and bbq.s at night :slight_smile:

I have some friends who’ve gone there (to study) and they all really enjoyed it.

Any special place in Australia you recommend? And same there for jobsites?

Thank you very much for a grand offer! That would be very interesting. But it’ll have to wait a few months until I know what my money is worth :wink:

That’s one part of the US I must admit I’ve never considered, sounds like a nice place. And I think I can enjoy American Football and get up to speed on Hockey.

Thanks a mill for the link! I’ll be sure to check it out.

My MSc is in International Business, so I hope I’m “needed” everywhere :slight_smile:

Lots of love for London! It’s a really great town and I’ve truly enjoyed all my visits there. But in addition to all that, it’s also a really expensive place to live, right?

I’m just afraid you Brits will throw me in prison (or just punch me in the face), since Brown has put us on the same list as Al Qaeda :wink:

I know you didn’t ask me (a Yank expat in Sydney, BTW) but here’s some job sites:

http://www.mycareer.com.au

Those are the big ones, there’s others.

Send me a PM if you want to know what it’s like to live here from a expat’s perspective, and what my immigration experience was like. I did a spousal visa but I looked into immigrating on my own without getting married. It was doable, but married was more…certain? Easier, anyway. (I was a bit older than you.)

Cheers,
G

Thanks a million! I’m off to check them out.

And thanks for the heads up on PM, I’ll send you one once my planning gets further.

I’d never punch you WormTheRed! The most I’d do is give you a playful slap. :wink:

Yes, Iceland has become a bit of a bete noir here since a lot of our public money fell into your economic black hole, but I don’t think the public would hold you personally responsible. As for an expensive place to live, it’s not cheap but then it’s no worse than living in Sweden.

And Sweden’s cheap compared to Iceland, so that must’ve been a brain-freeze of some sort when I thought it was expensive :wink:

Now I need to check out London a bit better.

Worm, here are some links for employment in Canada:

For federal government jobs across Canada, see Service Canada Job Bank.

For other jobs across Canada, see monster.ca or Workopolis.

For BC Government Jobs, see BC Public Service.

For other jobs in BC, see BC Job Network or BC Jobs.ca.

Neat! Thank you!

Don’t limit yourself to just London, mind - remember that the cost of living in any other British city is substantially lower.

But I don’t know anything about any other British city (apart from Oxford), which seriously hinders my searching.

Manchester is pretty groovy - it’s pretty much the only other place in the UK I’d consider living.

And Manchester even has a nice proper football team :wink:

So the country list as it’s looking now:

1: UK - by far the easiest, but they might hit me. And it wouldn’t be that new :wink:
2: Canada - loads of jobs according to the job sites and looks generally nice and friendly. Not too much of a hassle to get a work permit either.
3: Australia - sun, beach, quite a few jobs, but it’s faaaar away. I just realized that if I become a Swede (which I can), I can work without a permit for 3 months.
4: US - seems like quite a lot of jobs, loads of interesting places, but quite a hassle to get a work permit.

Manchester United rules OK!

(My stepfather was from Manchester…)

More Toronto info…

Newspapers:
The Toronto Star (centrist/liberal; the largest paper)
The Globe And Mail (business-conservative; the business Paper of Record.
The National Post (socially conservative)
The Toronto Sun (populist-conservative; think “English tabloid” but with some actual news. Sports, crime, tits, stereo ads.)
These are the major English-language dailies. There are at least three Chinese dailies, plus ones in Italian and Spanish. At one point I counted 14 daily newspapers, most of them small. And there are uncounted weeklies in all sorts of languages and viewpoints.

The Weather Network’s forecast for Toronto

Discussions of the city:
Urban Toronto.
Spacing Magazine.
The Torontoist.

If you’re thinking about the US, you should definitely look at New York City. That’s pretty much the major business hub of our country, and there is a definite demand for people with a background in international business. Crime is low as long as you stick to the safe areas, but it can be pretty expensive.

The short answer is yes (I got your PM, by the way). Unless you are so outstanding in your field that you are in the top percent or two internationally (have won a Nobel Prize, that kind of thing), you are going to need an employer to sponsor you for a work visa (and presumably down the line for a green card). I can go into more detail later (I’m really under the gun at work today), but here is some basic info on work visas and employment-based green cards.

I can look into a couple of other ideas later, such as whether Iceland has a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S., which would potentially make you eligible for an E work visa in the U.S. if you can get a job offer from an Icelandic employer with operations in the U.S. But in general, it’s going to be very tough to get a work visa; there is an annual quota of 65,000 H-1Bs, which has been used up almost instantly once the quota opens for the coming fiscal year (the Federal fiscal year starts Oct. 1, which means you can file petitions for Oct. or later start dates 6 months before, or April 1 - this year, the regular H-1B quota was accounted for more than twice over by the end of the first week in April).

More later - I have to go back to the 200 pages of additional stuff that needs to be incorporated into a waiver that needs to be finished today. (And I don’t work for the Feds, BTW - I work for a private law firm with a substantial employment-based immigration practice.)

ETA: here’s some more FAQ-type info.
Good luck, however it goes - I don’t envy your position.

Yours in solidarity with the Huddled Masses,
Eva Luna
Immigration Paralegal

Extremely dirty and smelly city, high crime and murder rate, very high housing costs. The OP asked for “But I like my streets clean, crime low and my beer cold.” and that’s only one out of 3.

Note that I think I’d like to live in Iceland, myself.:smiley:

Only places I can recomend are Tórshavn and Oslo, having never lived anywhere else. You should feel right at home in Tórshavn, it being basically Iceland with fewer volcanoes and more sheep.

Norway would be an “easy” way out - we’ve had a bit of a buzz of Icelandic immigrants the last few months (including a gorgeously pretty girl who moved accross the hall from me :p) and it’s easy to get entry. The economy is robust, the people are friendly-ish, language wouldn’t be a barrier (since you already have a valid claim of being the one speaking Norwegian properly :p) and we have a good work market.

I wouldn’t recommend Oslo, though - while there may be a lot of jobs and such around here, immigration has been badly handled, crime is on the rise and prostitutes, beggars and junkies are rampant throughout the downtown.

Stavanger should seem like a good place for you - lovely people, low crime, clean streets, nice weather in summer and not at all bad in winter, the oil industry capital of Norway making executive jobs a dime a dozen, no estate tax and decent culture life. Also very scenic surroundings, you’ll be with the fjords all around you and, IIRC, there’s direct routes from the Stavanger airport Sola to Reykjavik in case you want to visit your family and friends back home.

Bother. I think we’ve lost him.

Come to think of it, I might go there…

Þórshavn is a bit to small for me, but it’s a lovely place to visit. And isn’t your airport seriously dangerous? Or have they changed it since parts of the Danish General Command crashed?

Yeah. The easy way out would be Norway or Sweden; but if I went to Norway I’d probably end up in Oslo (my brother lives there), with Stavanger being a close second. I’ve also lived in Norway for a couple of months (in the iddy biddy tiny village of Gudvangen, by Sognefjorden). And of course, the helluva plus with Norway are the wages. Damn, you people make a lot of money (compared to Sweden), which you then need considering the cost of living.

But I’m kinda looking if a place I haven’t lived in yet. To experience something new - Scandinavia is my backup plan :wink:

And Eva Luna, thanks for the advice! So if I go further with the US I either need to bug our export companies… or of course… How you doin’ :cool: