Where to find no cost vet care.

My 13 year old Border Collie mix, Ginger, seems to be very ill. For the last few days she has not been able to keep down food, consumes a lot of water, and now she squats as if to poop and some blood drops come out. She was able to eat a couple of tablespoons of canned food tonight, but had no interest in anything more than that.

Things are pretty dire here, financially, and I am wondering if anyone knows of any way of getting her seen at no cost. I am beside myself. She has been a great dog and I can’t let her down now.

Thanks.

Where are you located? In Britain, the PDSA gives free veterinary care to people on certain government benefits. (Or should I say, gives the care to the animals owned by such people… :slight_smile: )

Do you have a usual vet? If you do, many are willing to give price breaks and work out payment plans for loyal patients. If not, contact your local Humane Society for advice.

I am in Burbank, California. She hasn’t been to a vet in some time.

I am wondering if she might not have a case of salmonella. I caught her drinking out of the turtle pool a few days ago. I don’t know if these symptoms are consistent with that, or if dogs can even get salmonella. Anybody know?

Salmonella poisoning in dogs

CareCredit lets you borrow money for vet care and pay it back over time – it’s one option, anyway.

Is there a university-affiliated vet hospital near you? I know Ohio State’s hospital provides free pet care to those in need, because I contribute money every year to the fund that supports it.

A list of Veterinary Charities:

“Brown Dog” foundation looks like a good bet but I think you need some diagnosis first (that’s just the impression I get)

I believe the only vet school in California is in Davis, CA.

I doubt you will find “no cost” vet care anywhere. However if you show an effort to pay something most vets will work with you as far as the initial exam fee. I would call around, explain your situation and be willing to prove your financial straits.

There’s another vet school in Pomona, CA, which is reasonably close to Burbank. Their website mentions that they offer some sorts of veterinary services, but without going into great detail. Probably worth contacting them at the very least. Here’s the relevant page.

Did you find any leads? How is your dog doing?

Dog had normal stool and is eating some and keeping it down. Am going to try and use the neighbor’s phone when he gets home in an hour or so to call humane society.

I don’t know if this would help, but yesterday, for the first time, I saw a TV PSA to the effect that the ASPCA offers assistance to those who can’t afford veterinary care for their pets. I doubt if that means absolutely free, but still they may be able to help.

NM.