Where would you take a paid vacation?

I can’t think of anywhere I wouldn’t go.

Places I’ve already been would be lower on the list, but free trip? And they pay my salary & expenses? And at the very worst, it’s only 14 days before I come back home? I’m there.

But I’m thinking Turkey or Jordan or Egypt will be my next trip after the one I’m planning now.

I’ve always wanted to go to Fiji and Tahiti. It’s more a question of logistics than money, though. Anyone want to look after a four year old and a two year old for two weeks?

I think North Korea is fascinating too. Seeing footage of Pyongyang is just so surreal it’s hard to believe. If there was a way to see it without contributing in any way to their government I’d love to do it.

You may have already seen it, but this documentary is a fantastic look at the place.

The South Pole. Of all the places on my A-list, that’s the one that I’m least likely to make it to.

Do it anyway. Coober Pedy is a desolate place almost in the middle of nowhere. Think the Man with no Name sweat and grit, and heat. Oh, the heat! A dry, intense heat. Add in the wind stirring up the dust and grit. Really, really yuck. I’d go again.

You can still do it in Oz with Mystery Flights. Today it’s not so much of a mystery. It used to be you paid for a flight on a particular day, then showed up at the airport that day bright and early. You had no idea where you were going until they handed you your ticket. If your mystery flight turned out to be an overnight, you were contacted the night before and told to bring an overnight bag with you, and that’s it. You still showed up at the airport the next morning not knowing where you were going until just before boarding. The flat rate was $99 roundtrip. The link I provided has a tiered system now, and includes accommodations. It was more of a mystery back then.

It is totally legal to go to North Korea. I am American and went last year. You do need to book a “tour” but it can be a tour of just you if you like. It is a fascinating place to visit.

Hawaii. I doubt I’ll ever get there otherwise.
New Zealand’s a close second.

Well, if it were totally up to me, I’d go with Australia, probably. Spend a few days in Sidney, maybe do traveling in the outback, see the Great Barrier Reef, etc.

My husband, though, would probably be all about going to either: Toronto (he’s obsessed with Canada) or Paris (he’s a French chef). I wouldn’t be opposed to either place.

Either France or a luxury cruise.

I think I’d go to Wyoming. It’d be great to see some of our natural heritage - Yellowstone, the Shoshone, Devils Tower, etc etc - while researching the music collections at the University at Laramie, donated there by Big Band era leaders for the express purpose of making them as inaccessible as possible to New York and LA musicians.

Only two weeks? Is travel time included in the two weeks or is it outside the two weeks? It matters, because there are many parts of the world I would love to see, but two weeks is not enough time to see them.

Sooooo, assuming the two weeks includes travel time: I choose Hawaii. My second choice would be Arizona, because spring training is now underway and I would like to see Prince Fielder hit a few moon shots before the Brewers can no longer afford his services.

Yeah - can I get a month? I don’t need salary for the last 2 weeks, just expenses. Hell, I’ll live in an RV if it’ll help.

I like that idea myself.

Would bribes and bail money be considered expenses? I have a feeling most of us would end up in trouble in a hurry in such a society.

That sounds like a hell of an “Ask the guy who just went to North Korea” thread starter…

I’d certainly go to Australia. I looked at the Wikipedia page on Sydney and I was surprised to see that the climate in summer wasn’t as warm as I thought it was. I’d probably spend a week in Sydney and then visit Alice Springs and Perth for some warmer weather.

What would I do there? I’d drink some beer and watch some sports. Hopefully Aussie football would be in season.

Barrow, Alaska, during the midnight sun. I’d also like to go during polar night, but not for two whole weeks.

I had such a great time in Paris and Normandy that I’d love to spend two weeks there, with a side trip to other parts of France.

For places I haven’t been, it would probably be Australia.

Heli-skiing with CMH in the dry power Monashees or Bugaboos.

Has anyone been watching the Amazing Race? Now I want to go to Chile.