Whew! The Grand Forks PD is finally cracking down on the real criminals!

With all the serious problems facing the populace (including but not limited to a huge amout of meth production to help supply the rest of the nation), the city and police are finally cracking down on the real criminals.

Some of you live in cities concerned with illegal immigration/border crossings, some have serious budget problems, some have pollution and yet others criminal activity up to and including terrorist cells. Well, I’m here to say we have identified the real threat to American prosperity and our beloved way of life.

Brace yourselves, folks. We have a criminal wave of BINGO PLAYERS! We’ve cracked the secret to this criminal enterprise. They thought they could fool us. But we knew. Oh yes, we knew to keep an eye on them!

I’ve ranted long and hard about this stuff. There’s not a whole lot more to add that’s new. Other than this is now going to affect a charity for disabled people. And that’s just in this instance.

On the other hand, don’t you all wish you lived in a city where there is so little going on that the cops do this to stave off the mid-day boredom?
:rolleyes:

For God’s sake, they’re Bingo players! Who cares if they smoke? What’s it going to do, decrease thier life expectancy? What’s the average age of people in that hall? 112? How much more life expectancy do they have? Let 'em light up.

"“That’s going to look damn funny, going outside, standing there smoking,” she said. “In the wintertime, I suppose they will cut down.”"

Or they’ll look even funnier, frozen stiff at -30F.

Well, yeah.

I dunno, I’m a smoker, but I totally get no-smoking-in-public laws. I don’t smoke in my own home, because it stinks up the joint.

In a bingo hall, especially. You get a bunch of old folks together, and you’ve got a large proportion of folks with diminished lung-capacity. Many of them will choose not to smoke for precisely this reason. Should pulmonarily-compromised folks have to breath other people’s smoke in order to get a bit of socializing done?

I’m a Vancouverite, so I’m pretty used to the whole “Your rights end where my nose begins” attitude toward smoking. No problem with that. I was in Alberta last week, and found the whole smoking-inside-cafes thing bizarre and foreign. Couldn’t bring myself to do it, even where it was permitted, because, well, it’s rude. And harmful, in the aggregate.

Smoking in a bingo hall is next door to smoking in a hospital. :smiley:

I’m not a big fan of second-hand smoke thick enough to bother me. It’s not too hard to advoid it. Just leave where folks are smoking or simply not go to where they are smoking. Pulmonarily-compromised folks could do the same. If a bingo hall loses enough money, it would be their prerogative to ban smoking. It shouldn’t be the State’s business in a society that truly respects freedom.

In both the hard-core smoking ban and the compromise smoking ban introduced in Colorado this year, bingo parlors were exempted. (Both failed, by the way.)

Couldn’t the hall alternate smoking and nonsmoking days?

Larry, thanks for being the first to whine about people having the right to go anywhere and not experience smoking. Even though it’s legal.

Also, thanks for being the first to totally miss the point of the cops “RAIDING” a bingo parlor because you can’t see past your own righteousness in saving everyone from themselves.

Guess what? In the article (that you didn’t read obviously) the owner wanted to set up a seperate, ENCLOSED, area for smokers. Wasn’t good enough for the city. Nor for you I guess.

Of course, the city has no qualms in collecting the tax. You can buy it, but you damn sure better not use it.

I swear I’m getting closer and closer to establishing the Free Republic of duffer. I don’t want any administrative role, mind you, but the entire Constitution will read as follow:

"You are free to come and go from this utopia. Any substance/plant/chemical that is deemed legal by the State, and taxed for the benefit of the populace at large, shall be used anywhere the state-coffer-building user sees fit.

Shall the citizen deem it “icky”, said citizen shall be referred to the first sentence. Also, said citizen shall be free to establish his or her own utopia bereft of easy money, and find a manner fit of funding various program those in charge see fit to implement.

As a gesture of civility and compromise, any such citizens that deems these legal acts offensive shall be free to establish businesses that don’t allow them.

In this spirit of goodwill, the State furthermore reserves the right to execute any malcontent unhappy in life from imposing such restrictions of legal products that benefit the greater good upon owners of private establishments."
It’ll be a happy place. Now I just have to find the island to buy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, there is no compromise with the anti-smokers. You can’t even smoke on the outdoor patio/decks.

Shit, they tried to incluse cigar/smoke shops in the ban.

Legal, except where it’s not. Like in bingo halls in Grand Forks, ND.

Well, bathhouses aren’t legal either. I wonder your response if they raided one. I suspect you’d be pissed they were wasting resources on such behavior.

Just because someone has a different point of view on a subject, doesn’t mean he’s ‘whining’ about it.

Did you miss this part?

You’re a fine one to talk about whining, Smokey McSmokesalot.

I do hear some whining coming from somewhere. It ain’t me, though. Is this a peevish, unreasonable complaint?

You can call it what you like, but that’s not a true republic, that’s a dictatorship. Republics are those happy places where, you’ll remember, elected representatives are charged with the difficult and often thankless task of enacting and enforcing laws that reflect the will and best interest of the entire electorate, insofar as that is possible. Like, saaay, the United States, where the laws increasingly reflect changing attitudes about the public health consequences of smoking indoors in public places. What a striking coincidence. If you don’t like it, instead of establishing a new island paradise for puffers, why not try on one of the existing Republic-in-name-only type establishments where laws concerning tobacco use reflect the States’ vested interest in its totally unrestrained and even encouraged use. Like Cuba, or China.

Look, I’m glad that we’re free to smoke. Wouldn’t have it any other way. But I also acknowledge that it’s an activity that has an impact on people we share close quarters with, and restrictions that limit how our habit impacts other people’s comfort and health are reasonable restrictions. I’m not gonna thump my chest and scream “I GOTTA RIGHT!” I’m glad I have the right to have intercourse with any willing partner I choose. I don’t feel terribly downtrodden that there are terrible, restrictive laws that prevent me from doing it on the buffet table at the Golden Rickshaw, “even if it is legal.” I understand that the world doesn’t revolve around me and my personal gratification, and that I live in a place populated by other people who have rights, too.

Is it such a difficult concept?

Oh, one more thing:

Bullshit. It’s that whole “republic” thing, again. You remember how laws get made, right? How opposing views contribute to the democratic process? Smokers have a voice. Concessions are made in such a way that reflects community interest. It’s not like there’s some authority that makes arbitrary and inalterable decrees.

Vancouver’s smoking laws reflect Vancouver’s community standards. Grand Forks’ smoking laws will reflect Grand Forks’ community standards. Remember how I said that Alberta’s more relaxed smoking laws seemed foreign to me, as a Vancouverite? Well, golly. Four months after the law there went into effect, the voice of the Bingo Grey Ladies was heard:

What’s the word for that, again? Oh, right. Compromise.

Maybe, like the Bingo Grey Ladies of Edmonton, the Bingo Grey Ladies of Grand Forks just didn’t look up from their cards long enough to influence the way the bill was authored, and it’ll take a little while for them to get the law amended to suit them.

Like the proprietor of the hall says, “We’ll figure something out.”

In the meantime, feel free to whine some more, if it makes you feel better.

My grandmother had emphysema, thanks to smoking (which seems ironic in light of my post). It was quite an effort for her to get out of the house and go to a restaurant or the community center, but she’d look forward to it for days. So it’s no wonder I can’t help but empathize with people who’d not be able to enjoy an evening playing bingo with their friends because their health, whether they’d brought it upon themselves like my grandmother or not, didn’t allow them to tolerate smoke.

Sure, my grandmother didn’t have to go out to a restaurant, but after weeks alone at home with just my grandfather for company, that trip out meant a great deal to her. Just as my grandmother didn’t have to go to a restaurant, smokers don’t *have * to smoke there either. Both groups could choose to dine elsewhere (though good luck finding a place that you’ll be allowed to smoke in anymore, I know), and smokers have the ‘advantage’ of being able to visit a non-smoking place and then take a break outside. Gram couldn’t exactly wait to breathe until the main course was over. As for going to the community center, there was even less choice there. Having only the one center in town meant that if they’d allowed smoking, Grams would have been stuck at home. Not everybody lives somewhere there’s a choice of places to go.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate smokers and don’t want to see them persecuted. The idea of legislation to not allow smokers to smoke in their own cars, or homes in some situations, is not something I’m comfortable with at all. I would have liked to have seen a compromise with the bingo hall. Unless smoke would make the place unusable even on the days smoking wasn’t allowed, why not do that?

I can’t speak for Otto of course, but if I were going somewhere and engaging in criminal activity, even though said activity wasn’t exactly horrible, I doubt I’d be upset about wasting resources. It’s a law, it’s enforced, I lose out, but thems the breaks. Now, I don’t claim I wouldn’t be upset to lose my fun little criminal activity, but I wouldn’t be angry the law was being enforced.

I’ve always wondered if there would be as much opposition to smoking in public if cigarrette smoke smelled like chocolate chip cookies baking or something. Ages ago I read an article or was it a book? about a city that had added something to the fuel used in it’s buses so that the exhaust smelled like perfume. The author of the article, and for a while, me for that matter, completely missed the fact that while it might smell nice, it was still a nasty pollutant that damages people’s health. I know I don’t object at all to the occasional pipe smoker when he chooses that tobacco that smells sort of sweet.

No offense, but not everything’s legal everywhere. You have a right to carry a gun-but not into the local elementary school. You have a right to have sex-but not in the middle of the frozen food aisle at Shop’N’Save.
Just because something’s legal doesn’t mean you can do it everywhere you want. I’m guessing that it’s because the bingo hall is a place where a lot of elderly congregate-I mean, you’ve probably got some blue-hairs on oxygen tanks-and shit. Fire hazard waiting to happen.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, I don’t really have very strong feelings on this-I think smokers should be allowed to smoke, (smoking and non-smoking sections), and that it probably should be up to the individual businesses whether or not to allow smoking (as long as we’re not talking hospitals!). I’m just mainly pointing out the flaw in duffer’s argument about smoking being legal. If you want to smoke, fine, just don’t blow it in my face, or throw your ciggies in my yard. We’ll get along just fine then.

If the police came into an illegal bathhouse and ordered the patrons to leave, I can’t say as I’d have that much of a problem with it. I hate to break it to you, but I don’t give a pass to gay law-breakers just because they’re gay. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it (but not in a bingo hall).

You mean, like Grand Forks? http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Grand+Forks&state=ND

It sounds as though the cops have things under control enough to enforce all the laws, even the ones you don’t like.