Which climate? Always hot? Or always cold?

Yes. What kind of hot? What kind of cold? I lived in the Mojave Desert. I’ve been to New Orleans several times. Ninety degrees in the high desert is very, very different from 90º on the Gulf Coast.

Hmm, in general, I like the cold more than heat, but I don’t think I’d want to live in a place without plants. And there aren’t a lot of plants when it never gets above freezing. So I guess I’d go for the heat, but I’d be miserable.

I’ll take the heat any day. And don’t worry about the free air conditioning; I shan’t be using it.

Cold. It is easier to stay warm outside when it is cold than to stay cold when it is too hot. There are no good personal cooling devices that you can take outside the house or car.

Only downside is ice and snow gets ugly quick.

When it is cold, you put on more layers. Problem solved.

But, when it is very hot, you can only take off so many layers. Take off too many and someone calls the police.

Keeping that in mind, I prefer the hot climate.

*Always *below freezing? That seems pretty extreme on the cold end, but I guess I’ll take it. Even a dry heat 90 is absolute misery to me. I would spend more time outdoors in the cold climate than the hot one.

Either scenario pretty much makes my garden and koi pond impossible without an enclosed atrium or greenhouse, and I really do consider those things essential to my mental well-being. But you did say heating is free… so giant greenhouse it is!

I live in Panama because I loathe the cold. And it’s not as bad as the conditions in the OP. It may be around 90 at mid-day, but it cools off to the mid-70s at night. And it never gets to over 100 like in the US in July and August.

Hmm, good point. Maybe I pick the cold, and build a giant heated greenhouse and garden.

Cold blows. At least with hot I can get in the pool or the ocean.

Is it a sunny and non windy cold? And that vs a 90 degree with sun AND very high humidity?

If that is the case. I’ll take the cold.

If there is significant wind and or lot of clouds cold versus a 90 degree and relatively dry heat I’ll take that heat in a heartbeat.

I live in the deep south. And I hate cold in general. But high heat AND humidity just sucks donkey balls IMO. A pleasant cold I can at least dress for.

I generally prefer colder climes, but given the OP scenario I chose hot. I’ve lived and trained in the Mojave Desert, and I’ve worked in the high humidity of the midwest at 90+ °F and high heat index. I’d live in that before living always at 30°F.

Think of the winter slips and falls, and vehicle accidents. Mahor sources of injury. Living in the heat would encourage me to shed a few mor pounds too.

There are no personal living-world devices you can take outside the house in the cold scenario. Everything will be frozen, utterly barren, all the time. It would be like living on the Matt Damon planet in Interstellar.

Does the Matt Damon planet suck because of the cold or because Matt Damon is on it ?:slight_smile:

I’ll take the heat. At least I can live in a nice cool underground cave.

Always warm without any hesitation.

Nope.

If the average temp in that local is 90 degrees…the temp in the cave will be 90 degrees…AND it will probably be a 100 percent humidity as well…not particularly pleasant…though it will get you outa the sun one suspects.

I’ve been to Egypt in summer, with temperatures above 90. I’ve been skiing in Switzerland with temperatures below freezing. Quite honestly, I could live either place. Cold is fine, as long as the Sun is bright, and not much wind. Heat is fine too, as long as there’s a beach or swimming pool. But of the two, I’d have a preference for hot.

It works in Australia, Petra, and other places. Of course, those are dry heats; I don’t know about humid heats.

That’s not true at all. My basement is cooler than the main floor in the summer by at least 15 degrees Fahrenheit.

AVERAGE temp.

You dig a hole in the ground. Put a hatch on it. It is GOING to be the average temp of the surrounding area. Plus a small smidge from geothermal heat if you wanna get persnickity.

Also note you can have a cave geometry that is a cool trap or a heat trap but that is uncommon. But those only work with significant seasonal temp variations. The OP specified a constant temp.